Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best and most sensible midi keyboard controller for ipad?

Benjie P

Ok, anybody doing this yet? Garage Band could actually be a really effective app for making real music with a keyboard controller, anyone doing this and have a good recommendation? I have the "camera/usb" converter that goes into the charger slot, haven't experimented yet just wanted some quick answers if possible, the possibilities seem endless!

Music.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for something tiny and portable for travel use with the iPad? Or something more substantial for studio or stage use?

Just to start getting a flavor, since you're on this forum, you probably already own a keyboard that would work just fine... you don't really need anything fancy. Something with pitch bend and mod wheel, sustain and expression pedals, and maybe aftertouch would probably about cover most uses. You might not even care about all those.

I imagine you'd probably use the onscreen knobs and such for tweaking... I don't even know if those things even *are* hardware mappable...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hey Scott, thanks for replying. Yeah, I've certainly got a whole pile of stuff that will work but I'm thinking about something more portable that either the ipad can power or is battery powered....I plugged a usb flash drive into that camera/usb converter and it said"requires too much power" so just trying to see if anyone on here has worked with this app on the ipad and a midi keyboard controller and what the experiences have been before I purchase something small and portable...
Music.

I use the little AKAI Midi keyboard. It's really small and is no wider than the Ipad. Surprisingly, I'm able to make music with it. It's about the size of a melodica. Compatible with the Ipad using USB power.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

I use M-audio oxygene 49 3rd gen + ipad2 + apple camera connection kit.

It works very well, perfect!

Mostly I use Korg iMS-20, sunrizer, garage band ofc the new moog app.

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Archived