Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wonderful experience in the operating room today!

Boggs

I was assigned eye surgery today which freaked me out a bit as that was the one I was expecially concerned about grossing me out. Glad I was picked for it though as it turns out because it really was fascinating! I didn't realize patients were awake for cataract surgery. Pretty cool how it's done... I had a hard time watching the interactions of the circulator nurse and scrub tech instead of watching the surgery itself, although they did encourage me to do that. Pretty freakin' awesome day!!! :)
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife really got into every sort of intense operating room or ER assignment she could get when she was an RN student. I'm very thankful there are people who are interested & intrigued by medical processes because it totally freaks me out. I seriously would not be able to hang in the same room. Good on you, Boggs, for taking up the good work of keeping people alive.
Scott Fraser

I worked Labor & Delivery and ER as a med tec in the Air Force. it was amazing to see childbirth, and even more amazing to suture up traumatic wounds. But my first experience watching a young child get stitches just about did me in. I had to get stitches at about 3 years old, and when I saw that poor kid struggling to get away from the needles, his eyes as wide as saucers and screaming at the top of his lungs, it brought all back to me. I had to leave the room, it was freaking me out so bad. But, I did manage to get past it eventually. I got to where I could sew up anyone of any age.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Today was Endoscopy day... Got to witness a couple of upper GI endoscopy procedures and a couple of colonoscopies as well as learn how to break down the scopes and clean them and break down and set up the room for the next procedure. Not particularly challenging, but interesting none-the-less...
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

At 58 years old (59 in December), I am basically not employable anymore in the engineering arena and I certainly cannot afford to retire. I wanted to do something in the medical field that my body can handle and will pay at least reasonably so I can serve people again instead of corporate parasites although if they end up on my operating table, I will treat them as professionally as if it were Mother Theresa. I was an EMT 20 years ago so medical is not totally foreign to me and I really do miss serving people. I wish the job gave me a bit more interaction with a conscious patient, but there are a LOT of avenues these skills I am learning can be put to use in the hospital setting. I am currently at the very top of the class, and that is a thrill for me as it has been said over and over by multiple teachers and counselors that this is the BEST class they have ever had. Makes an old man feel good and appreciated again.

Archived