Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Moving SUCKS!

whitefang

Haven't been on the forum for a while...due to circumstances both within and beyond my control, I had to "walk away" from my mortgage and move into a rental home. After being together with my wife for 25 years, 23 of them married years, it was overwhelming to discover just how much SHIT, most of it useless, people can accumulate over the years, which in this case means that MOVING SUCKS!!

I don't know WHERE we were able to find space to tuck away all that stuff! Or where we're going to put it in the new place. One thing is crystal clear...we are having one bodacious yard sale next spring! It'll take that long to FIND all of the stuff. It was nice to have the help we needed to get moved, but for some reason, the helpers went about moving us as if we were running from the law! Nieces and sisters threw objects in boxes in no apparent order and put them God might not even know where in the new place. And THEY can't REMEMBER!! Some furniture got cracked or broken because of the hurry they were in but we weren't. I live in the same city, but in the other end of it, so I know the area pretty well, but places to run to and buy stuff real quick aren't as quick to get to anymore, and I need to get familiar with where new places to do so are. One nephew coincidentally lives just down the block, so that's kinda nice. He lets me borrow his lawn mower till I can get mine repaired.

My computer was set up quick enough, but this is the first time since the move I've had time to get on it for any length of time. One of my dogs died shortly after moving in, and that's a bummer, but the other dog got used to her absence quick enough. Hell, she even got used to the HOUSE faster than I did!

Makes no matter what the circumstances, nor the amount of time you have, one thing is certain...moving SUCKS!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After spending 16 years in one home, due to changes in work, my wife and I had to sell the home, move to another town about 140 miles away (where we could use the proceeds from the home to pay the remaining mortgage and buy a home in the new area).

We threw away a LOT of stuff, donated close to 1,000 books to the library, filled a large PODS unit completely and a large U-Haul (and still had to go back with the pickup for a load).

This was seven years ago. Our new home has one MAJOR advantage, it was paid for the first night we spent there. It did take months to really find stuff and get over the moving. There are still boxes in the new garage that are not unpacked (I am trying to haul some of the stuff to the dump on my regular trips). What's more - we now have even MORE stuff that has accumulated during the past seven years (I now have a separate 24x24 building for a shop - did not have it before). Some of the stuff that I tossed would have been sellable now on EBay - like several hundred tubes and a lot of service manuals.

We were blessed with help in the move - some from friends at the old location in getting the heavier things out of the house into the POD, even more from 6 of the men in our church at the new location who helped us unload the UHaul and POD.

I lived in mobile homes for much of my adult life, the home we sold was my first actual house. It is true that stuff accumulates to overflow whatever amount of space one has.

Conclusion: your thread title is correct.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

What a tee-total drag and on top of all that fun your dog died. Please post a pic of him if you can. I've instructed my son to jackhammer the basement floor and bury me there, 3 moves is enough for me, been in this house 20 years now. The dream is to wake up on my birthday and find a dumpster in the driveway! good luck brother.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

23 years ago, my wife and I moved to our current apartment, and even then, it was a major project. We have now accumulated a lot more stuff, and I'm sure it would a lot harder and more expensive - the last time, a friend with a van helped us and we paid him a total of $100 for a day's work.

If we had hired a professional moving company, it surely would have been more... maybe a LOT more!

Which is why a lot of people who move cross-country figure out that it's cheaper to ditch today's sofa and buy a new one in BumXXX, Egypt, or wherever you're moving, than to pay exorbitant costs to move it.

Whitefang, good to see you back, brother, although I'm really sorry about the hard ride you've had - hope it gets smoother from here on.

My personal theory is that people don't collect stuff, houses do! Before I was married, I managed to live comfortably in one room of a shared house, with all my gear, my Shepherd/Akita/Chow mix, and an elderly Calico cat one of our housemates had left behind when she ran off out West. In the seventeen years that I've been married, and living in a house, I've had to make a regular ritual of purging excess stuff, only some of which I remember bringing home - the rest of it seems to have found its own way in, like raccoons in the attic. ("Where in hell did THIS come from?") I also suspect that old computer monitors breed in the dark - it doesn't seem to matter how many I've hauled away, there's always another one, back in a corner, somewhere.

My wife's parents pulled the best move, a few years back, when they downsized from their house to an apartment -they hired a moving van to take all the excess stuff around to their kids!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Smith, I couldn't do that to my kids. Really. They'd have piled it onto my front yard and started a bonfire. Which couldn't get me angry as I would have done the same in that situation.

Lefty, I really don't have the moxie nor equipment to post a pic of the dog. SHE was a black and white Shi-Tzu, if that helps. She was 14 years old, deaf with cataracts and very ill at move time. Some blow flies of some kind laid eggs in her ears on some open sore and maggots were starting to eat into her head, so she was put down. She was a sweetie, and I'll miss her for quite some time.

I like the donation idea. I have tons of old books and my wife has bagsful of old clothes we can donate to Purple Heart. The downside to THAT is the donations wind up at Value World, a popular resale shop in the area that my wife and her sisters like to frequent, so she might wind up buying a lot of that crap back! We are making progress though. My basement is slowly losing the look of the closing scene from "Citizen Kane". Hopefully, I'll find Rosebud before too long!;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived