Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just scored a Rhodes Mark 1 73 Stage.

Steve Force

I don't know the build year but no Fender mention--just Rhodes.

It is in GREAT condition--no smoke/mold smell, no cigarette burns, some uneven keys (but all notes play.) No tears in the tolex, some case scuffing but not bad, Rhodes logo plate intact. got all four legs, two back leg bracing, the pedal and rod, and something else that I cannot yet identify (some sort of metal tube.)

I got that baby home, fired up my Fender Super Twin Reverb, and plugged this Rhodes in.

What have I been missing all of these years? Man, what a sound.

:thu:

Next step--having my boy Jim (B3-er ) perform his magic on it, doing what needs to be done to make this baby sing.

Cool beans!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know the build year but no Fender mention--just Rhodes.

It is in GREAT condition--no smoke/mold smell, no cigarette burns, some uneven keys (but all notes play.) No tears in the tolex, some case scuffing but not bad, Rhodes logo plate intact. got all four legs, two back leg bracing, the pedal and rod, and something else that I cannot yet identify (some sort of metal tube.)

I got that baby home, fired up my Fender Super Twin Reverb, and plugged this Rhodes in.

What have I been missing all of these years? Man, what a sound.

:thu:

Next step--having my boy Jim (B3-er ) perform his magic on it, doing what needs to be done to make this baby sing.

Cool beans!

Wow, seems you´ve found the needle in the hay condition wise.

Congrats !

What did you pay ?

A.C.

I paid around $500 USD, and had to travel around 400 miles round trip to get it.

Man, in germany that´s a steal for a good one !

You´d pay more than EUR 1.500.- here if it´s in good condition.

Beaten ones go for 800 - 1200.- Euros.

A.C.

Well, 400 miles round trip is not a great distance to travel in the US midwest. However, gas expensive is quite substantial, even at US fuel prices, and no jobs.

If you paid $500 USD for a complete Rhodes Stage Piano that doesn't need any work to speak of, I'd say you got a great deal!

Congrats, we still want pictures of the Rhodes, not you. You might be pretty ugly, Fro or not. ;)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Where's the "I hate you, wink wink" icon? I had a chance at a very similar beauty a few years ago, for $900, and passed it up. $500 is a killer deal.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

This is a stock photo of my Rhodes:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/steforce/stage73.jpg

I will take some pics later on today (after I put shocks on my Trailblazer, change spark plugs, and watch some NFL football.)

This is exactly the 1st Fender Rhodes mk I 73 stage I buyed in 1972 which sounded awesome,- but the action had to be modded a bit to make it much more playable.

If your´s only says Rhodes on the faceplate, it could be the same or not and it depends on the year/week of build, but look all like this (ebay auction 140621756671) which is built week 3 in 1977.

IIRR, some changes appeared in 1978 and before the Rhodes mk II came out.

A.C.

Hmmm. I do see a marking of "18 75" . Wonder if this is the assembly date? (jan 8 75?)

thoughts?

Means assembled week 18 in 1975, so I´d say you catched Rhodes mk 1 being the same, except the logo change, than the Fender Rhodes mk I on the pic you posted.

I´m typing from my head,- so doublecheck yourself on related websites.

A.C.

Oh, that is a stock pic so please do not use that as a reference.

Week 18 75? Cool! Thanks for this info (Vielen Dank)! :thu:

Es find Ich sehr toll dass Du sehr viel Erfahrung und Erkenntnis hast, und die Bereitschaft zu erklären.

Uebrigens, Darf Ich "Du" sagen? :wave:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Same model Rhodes I used to perform with in the 70's.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Nice score Steve! I've got the same one myself!! Enjoy it!
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Same model Rhodes I used to perform with in the 70's.

Just curious--what did these things go for new then? Any idea?

Not quite sure exactly how accurate this is, but IIRC, it seems about right!!

Rhodes Prices . . . "then" . . . klonk here

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Oh, that is a stock pic so please do not use that as a reference.

I´m aware is a stock picture, but that´s exactly what I buyed new in ´72 and I payed DM (Deutsche Mark) 2.200.- for it when the Dollar was DM 4.20, so it matched the US price of ~ $500.- at this time.

Some years later, the brand changed from Fender Rhodes to Rhodes and these mkI 73 stage pianos kept the same product except now there appeared a nameplate on the left knobs and output area and the logos in the middle of the front and rear changed to "Rhodes".

But there were changes made to the Rhodes which looked exactly the same but before the mk II came out.

I don´t know exactly which changes were made because my 2nd Rhodes I buyed and in addition to the mk I was a mk II already.

Maybe the Rhodes Supersite provides more info.

Can be the bassboost behaviour changed and/or usage of tines as also the action/design of hammers,- I cannot remember exactly, but the week and year of build decides.

Week 18 75? Cool! Thanks for this info (Vielen Dank)! :thu:

Es find Ich sehr toll dass Du sehr viel Erfahrung und Erkenntnis hast, und die Bereitschaft zu erklären.

Uebrigens, Darf Ich "Du" sagen? :wave:

Wow, german language here !

Yes you can,- but ´cause were talking in english,- it´s the same anyway.

According to the experience,- the Fender Rhodes was my one and only instrument for a long time after I sold my 1st organ which was a VOX.

I did all myself, tuning, voicing, exchanging tines (I broke a lot) and repairs.

Until 1980, I didn´t find anyone here who did mods and service.

Well, I read US Keyboard Player mag at that time and read all about Dyno My and more to get all the info I needed and I had a service manual and one of these Rhodes survival kit boxes filled w/ tuning springs, some tines, pickups, hammer gommets, damper felts and so on.

I also owned a Clavinet D6 and did all myself.

I always wanted a Castelbar Clavinet at that time but couldn´t buy it here,- and in the late 80th, I was so stupid to sell all for very cheap because it all collected dust and had no MIDI.

Beginning from 1985, I was fine for every studio session or tour w/ the DX7 and other synths as well as a weighted key master keyboard,- no one wanted the sound of the old electromechanical instruments anymore.

Today, I bite into my ass all day because I did these mistakes and I also sold my Prophet 5, Oberheim OB-8 and Moog Taurus I (all custom modified) for cheap at that time which I regret very much today.

A.C.

OK - for you guys who played this model Fender Rhodes...

What was your go-to effect?

Mine was a Boss Stereo Chorus.

Flanger / Phaser was another.

In 1974 I played it through a Fender Bandmaster head with a RMI cabinet (which held 2 15" JBLs and 2 Allen organ tweeters). I sent the other side of the signal to a smaller cabinet made at the RMI factory that I loaded with an EV 15" and a couple of piezo tweeters driven from an RMI transistorized amp (horrible sounding-amp, really). The Bandmaster with the JBLs sounded pretty good though.

Since Rocky Mount, NC is my hometown, I got a good deal on a RMI Electra-Piano and amp. However, when I got to college I had already added a Wurlitzer EP. It was then I bought the Fender Rhodes (first one used, then traded that for a new one).

Good times. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

OK - for you guys who played this model Fender Rhodes...

What was your go-to effect?

My 1st pedal was a VOX wah I later replaced by a Morley Wah/Fuzz/Volume. Didn´t like the fuzz at all, so I kept my EH Big Muff Pi.

The 1st Phaser I used was a Schulte Compact Phasing A, but I also used a MXR and my last one was a Mutron Phaser II.

I also used a Mutron III touch/envelope follower wah effect.

The 1st echo effect I owned was a Binson Echorec which I later replaced by a Roland Chorus/Echo RE 501.

Had Ibanez and Yamaha analog delay lines and a Boss 10-Band graphic EQ too.

In 1974 I played it through a Fender Bandmaster head with a RMI cabinet (which held 2 15" JBLs and 2 Allen organ tweeters). I sent the other side of the signal to a smaller cabinet made at the RMI factory that I loaded with an EV 15" and a couple of piezo tweeters driven from an RMI transistorized amp (horrible sounding-amp, really). The Bandmaster with the JBLs sounded pretty good though.

Fender Dual Showman Reverb amphead (same as Twin Reverb) I used for a decade.

Cabs varied,- Marshall 4x12" greenback, Ampeg 4x12"(x2), vintage cream tolex Fender 2x10" (x2) w/ Jensen Alnico speakers.

A.C.

Oh, you mean pics of the Rhodes!! :facepalm:

Steve, let me give you an example.

"Hey dudes, yesterday I went out and picked up a Phatty.

Here she is, settling in with her big brother:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/IMG_7260.jpg

and here she is in blinky blink mode:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/IMG_7261-1.jpg

Not to hijack your thread or anything... ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived