Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A band I saw last night

Ross Brown

I could not figure out what was wrong.... then it hit me... they were all decent musicians and all played their parts well. The parts did not go together. No one listened to anyone else... This was really strange because it was classic rock.... not jazz.. (sorry)....

I have never seen such a thing... My wife and are still talking about it this morning... I learned a lot.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting... my wife's comments were that the bass player was not providing the "glue". Not sure I completley agree with her, but interesting point too....

I do think we as bass players hear things differently that the common folk.....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

IMHO, the bassist and the drummer is usally the reason for lack of cohesion. Guitars are going to play guitars to reflect the harmony and melody of the song. If the drummer can't keep time, or the drummer can't start or stop a fill on time, it sounds "unlocked".

Bassists have to play something that supports both the rhythem and the melody. I've seen too many local "rock" bassist try and fill in at winery jazz gigs where they can make Billie Holliday and Herbie Hancock sound like the Kingsmen. You can't make I,IV,V progessions and dominate and flat 7 approaches work in every song. Subsequently, I can't thing of one rock song the geezers and I cover that I can wedge my "Fly Me to the Moon" walking line into.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

... expound ...

This is not to dissmiss suh-cass guitar playing. The primary difference is that the great unwashed will be able to identify sub-standard guitar playing almost immediately, but a lack of cohesion from the rhythem section is noticable, but a little harder for someone who is not a musician to put a finger on.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived