Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Disco Inferno - String Intro?

drawback

I've used Audacity to slow it down, but I can't hear the strings well enough under the bass & drum tracks to follow it - and googled everything else.

Does anyone have the transcript of the string lines from the intro?

Thanks in advance!

Here for the gear.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, it's a bit tricky but the key to the sound is that the String intro is actually over an Ab-6 / Ab-maj7 chord so the real key to the flavor of the intro is that the B has to be NATURAL, not B flat, even though it's in C-minor. That's what gives the intro the almost diminished like sound in the run. Tasty little intro and I did a transcription here for you.

Regards,

Frank

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n48/ionian2006/DiscoInfernoIntrojpg.jpg

www.frankperri.com

If I may...

Ionian (Frank), your transcription is pretty good. But there are some notes you seem to have inverted; particularly, the set of 16ths on m1 beat 4, and m2 beat 1.

Although the intro chord could well be Abmin6, judging by the bass note rhythms (and beat landing), it's more likely a Db9#11 (the G chord's tritone sub), leading into it's resolving scale minor.

Here's a transcription of what I'm hearing in the strings.

Enjoy,

http://s2.postimage.org/176kgquhw/disco_inferno_string_intro.jpg

P.S. Drawback, forget Audacity...use Seventh String's "transcribe" instead.

It's very possible I turned things around, since it gets a bit muddy at the bottom of the run. I'm nowhere near a keyboard at the moment, but I'll definitely try your transcription. I'd love to hear what you came up with.

While the Db9#11 is theoretically correct, and was the first thing I thought (tritone sub of the V of C-) instead I chose to express it the way I would see it in my head when playing it - that keyboard player way of "cheating" by seeing complex chords broken down as compounds, meaning Db9#11 as Ab-Maj7/Db since it helps me keep the run clear in my head to think of it like that.

I should have been more clear about that when I posted. Sorry! :)

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

I transcribed this intro using "Amazing Slow-Downer", I was surprised to hear that the separate trings aren't quite playing the same stuff... Lots of stuff happening there that doesn't seem intended. It sounds great nontheless. :-)

I bet. :laugh: That's one nasty lick for strings, considering the key. If it were a half-step lower it would be a lot easier. #@$(% arrangers. :laugh:

Archived