Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: iOS 5 Update Problems

ITGITC

If you are updating your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch to iOS 5, be SURE to connect the device directly to the USB port on your computer AND NOT A USB HUB.

I updated our iPad2, MacBook Air (not iOS 5, but >1 Gig update) yesterday and had no problems. However, when trying to update my iPod Touch (4) through a USB hub, I got many errors. It was only when I connected directly to the USB port on the computer that I had success with the update.

Otherwise, if today is anything like yesterday, Apple's servers are overwhelmed. Downloading is crazy-slow. Be patient.

Good luck!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is their a way to avoid having to download the update over and over for each device? I update 2 iPhones and 2 iPads from my Mac and it does the full download each time.

Robert, I've studied the Apple and cnet Help forums. I couldn't find any information on saving the update file. Therefore, I'm guessing that you have to update each device independently.

Last night I was updating my iPod for the third try (through the USB hub). :( At the same time, I also tried to watch a movie on Netflix. Oh... the horror. I think that everybody, their brother, sister, and all their cousins were hitting Apple's servers at the very same time. I've never seen anything like it. I finally gave up on Netflix and went back to cable.

Of course, this ushers in a whole new paradigm with iCloud. There have been many discussions about moving to mobile devices here at work. This is huge for Apple and the industry. KLONK

Good luck!

Tom

PS If you have a Blackberry... sell it now. KLONK

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Is their a way to avoid having to download the update over and over for each device? I update 2 iPhones and 2 iPads from my Mac and it does the full download each time.
The update for each type of device is different. In other words, you'd at least have to download two updates, one for iPhones and one for iPads (assuming each is the same model; if you have an iPad and an iPad 2, they have different updates).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yesterday afternoon it would not install the update for me. I got the "internal error" messages. After it downloads the software, it does a back up of your device. Just before the moment that it installs the software it reaches out to the Apple server and if it doesn't connect it fails. You have to repeat the process of backing up your device before it tries again.

Last night both my iPad and iPhone updated perfectly. Very cool update so far.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I did my phone w/ no problems this morning. The only thing I don't like is it reset all of my email as unread, and there is no way to globally reset that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I'm just hoping the rumors are true that Apple will release an update for Snow Leopard to allow those users access to iCloud. Lori's primary Mac is a first-gen MacBook CoreDuo that won't run Lion. It's a perfectly fine machine for what she needs it for otherwise.

But, since they didn't release it yesterday, I'm not holding my breath. :(

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Apple knows that MobileMe wasn't their best moment and iCloud aims to fix that. Have you seen the enormous data center they built in NC for iCloud? And heck, it's free for 5 GB of storage.

I've been using it for a bit and it's working quite well for calendars and contacts. I just started backing up with it yesterday.

I have been using MobileMe for several years now, and I am pretty happy with it. Hopefully, they will extend iCloud to Snow Leopard, because I have several Macs that have to stay there because mission-critical software on them is not ready for Lion.

My wife gets her iPhone 4s tomorrow (this morning it was in China, this evening in Phoenix to go out for delivery tomorrow (thank you International Date Line!)), so I am a little jealous, but iOS 5 is a pretty nice upgrade so far.

Archived