Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

moog and dsi

zahush76

So, i'm one of those people who were born on the 29th of february. A birthday once every four years. This year is birthday year.

I was thinking of adding something to my studio rig. I have a nord stage 2, a polyevolver, a moog slim phatty and a pc.

I was thinking either upgrading the slim phatty to a full blown voyager rme - or keeping the phatty and adding the new dsi tempest. Saving the cash from now (and getting some of it as a present, of course).

I know these are apples and oranges, but in any of the two configurations - i'm still going to stay with both the dsi and the moog sounds.

Why voyager over phatty? It seems pretty obvious.

But then came the tempest and it got me thinking wether i would like to expand my moog arsenal or my dsi.

The tempest isn't exactly "overkill", with the polyevolver. It's voice architechture is different - though there are some simillarities. First difference, it has 6 voices. Each contain 2 analog osc, two digital ones, and a sub osc. The digital osc can also play some samples, in addition to the prophet vs waves.

There are some things it can do that the PEK can't. For starters, there are only 2 lfo's - but they are almost twice as fast than the PEK's, so that you can go into audio rate. 5 envelopes instead of 3 (and faster, so that you can use them for drum sounds). 8 modulation busses. The feedback is analog and good for overdrive (rather than the polyevolver's tuned feedback which is good for flanger or mayhem). When using it for drum sounds, and because some of them are osc generated - you can "metamorphose" the sounds while playing. Evrything is very elastic. Not like an mpc. And as a synth it has different things to offer than the PEK, though it has a basic similarity because at its core - it's a dsi.

And the voyager? Well, it's a voyager. Once you hear it you just know you gotta have one. Question is, will the phatty still make me "moog satisfied"?

Opinions are welcome.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good problem to have..! :D

A few random considerations:

- I would have the Voyager over the Phatty as I prefer 'big' sounds.... but if you are planning to play live a lot, take into account that the Voyager is quite heavy (like two PEKs, more or less). You could consider to keep the Phatty too for live playing, if possible.

- I was never too interested in the Tempest because I thought it was just an mpc-type thing... now, these specs are *very* tempting!

- As an alternative, an used PER to increase your PEK's polyphony could be great. too.

A good problem to have..! :D

A few random considerations:

- I would have the Voyager over the Phatty as I prefer 'big' sounds.... but if you are planning to play live a lot, take into account that the Voyager is quite heavy (like two PEKs, more or less). You could consider to keep the Phatty too for live playing, if possible.

Hi.

Thanks for the advice.

I don't play live at the moment. This is all for studio work.

By the way, i was reffering to the voyager RME, and not the keyboard version.

If you're happy with the Phatty, a DSI would give you a great contrasting sound.

Since you have a PEK, I would consider a RME....

I was really never happy with the LP but am madly in love with the Voyager, and I have a SP that I use as a bass enhancer.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I'll just add that at first i was thinking about going for the new mfb dominion x, a 3 vco monosynth with interesting stuff going on - and most importantly a schippmann e & f multimode filter.

As it turns out (it's all over gearslutz and sequencer.de forums on the subject), due to opinion differences, there won't be a collaboration between mfb and schippmann. The new domion x will have an mfb filter. I guess i'll have to hear what it sounds like when demos start coming out.

If it will be good enough, i also might consider getting that and a moog cp-251 for expanding the phatty.

If you're happy with the Phatty, a DSI would give you a great contrasting sound.

+1. Moog & DSI sound wicked together.

I know. Right now i already have a polyevolver and a slim phatty. I'm just trying to figure out wether i like to improve the moog or add to the dsi.

Either way i have a moog dsi combo.

I'd get the Voyager. It's like a whole different world. But be forewarned; when you get one, you'll want the CP-251 expander and then you'll want to start getting into modular stuff. :)

You have a dot com, right?

Been wanting to ask you what you think of its sound vs the moog. Do you use a 150 ladder filter?

Btw, i understood from some demos of the freqbox and ringmod moogerfoogers that are voltage controlled - that you have to use a vx-352 if you have the rme version of the voyager, since it doesn't have the required cv out/in for certain foogers.

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks

I'll just add that at first i was thinking about going for the new mfb dominion x, a 3 vco monosynth with interesting stuff going on - and most importantly a schippmann e & f multimode filter.

You could always pick up an Schippman module and a Korg MS10 for a very different sonic signature. Does the PEK have 4 outputs like the P08? I've owned a miniD since '74 and at one point it, The Source and a Voyager AE - the miniD stayed. Too bad about the mfb and Shippman, that would have been an interesting module.

I'd get the Voyager. It's like a whole different world. But be forewarned; when you get one, you'll want the CP-251 expander and then you'll want to start getting into modular stuff. :)

You have a dot com, right?

Been wanting to ask you what you think of its sound vs the moog. Do you use a 150 ladder filter?

Missed this the first time around, sorry,.

I do have a dotcom. I love it. The sound compared to the Voyager is more raw and organic. The Q150 ladder filter is great and I just added a MegaOhm CdS VCF/A, which is based on the Buchla low pass gate. It rocks, too.

I need to get the CP-251 so I can interface the two better.

Archived