Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spooky Tooth... in Stevie's barn...

HammondDave

Great old live rehearsal recording of one of my favorite bands of the late 60's early 70s... Apparently recorded in Stevie Winwood's barn. Gary Wright is playing an M100 and Mike Harrison an old RMI Electric piano. When I saw them in West Palm Beach in 1969 Wright was playing a B3...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYINMrxFzI4&feature=player_embedded#!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are making me feel old!!!!!!

Join the club.... LOL

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Wow, what a find. Are there any more of these?

I wish...

Its great to see this informal run-thru of this song... Warts and all...

There was ( is ? )so much talent that came out of England during the 60's. And Hammond organ was a big part of it, probably because keyboardists could compete with the guitarists of the time who tended to be loud.

I remember the record SPOOKY TWO that came out around this time, particularly the tune "Waiting for the Wind".

Perhaps that is Winwood's gear that they are using.... Stevie played an RMI with Blind Faith as I recall, and he also used a spinet with Spencer Davis earlier.

I think that an article on the history of Hammond organ in British music would be an interesting topic for Keyboard Magazine. Many of the key players (the exception would be Graham Bond, who may have started it all) are still living. Auger, Winwood, Mayall, Wright, Lord, Zoot Money, Georgie Fame ( who am I forgetting ?) .... I think it would be a hell of an article.

Or even a whole book.

I wonder how many Jensen treble drivers these British guys blew up trying to compete with the guitars....they must have been driving the hell out of them to get that tone. Credit the engineers for capturing it too.

Does the different voltage of the British amps have anything to do with this? Or were the leslies just screaming for bloody murder trying to keep up?

Brian Auger and Jon Lord finally gave up and started using amps....screw the leslie spin.

Some of the Americans used to get pretty loud with the Hammonds around this time now that I think about it. Mark Stein,Goldy Mc John, Lee Michaels.... Nobody carries four leslies anymore as far as I know.

Hammondave,this clip is priceless! Thanks for posting. Thought I'd checked out every Spooky Tooth post on YouTube,but had managed to miss out on this one. These guys sounded great live,dry and real,in a barn,no less. To the left of Mike Harrison,I think I see the same model Standell amp I used for my Farfisa around '69. Two 15's and unreliable as can be. Pardon me while I drift back to a time long,long ago ...

Every now and then I do a search for bands that I would love to see old clips from. Tonight I found this Spooky gem. Still looking for some video from King Crimson Mark I. The Hyde Park short is too disjointed for me. Maybe some day someone will post some home video of these bands... Thank god for YouTube.

Perhaps that is Winwood's gear that they are using.... Stevie played an RMI with Blind Faith as I recall, and he also used a spinet with Spencer Davis earlier.

I think that an article on the the history of Hammond organ in British music would be an interesting topic for Keyboard Magazine. Many of the key players (the exception would be Graham Bond, who may have started it all) are still living. Auger, Winwood, Mayall, Wright, Lord, Zoot Money, Georgie Fame ( who am I forgetting ?) .... I think it would be a hell of an article.

Or even a whole book.

When I saw them in 1969 Harrison was playing an RMI.

There was ( is ? )so much talent that came out of England during the 60's. And Hammond organ was a big part of it, probably because keyboardists could compete with the guitarists of the time who tended to be loud.

I remember the record SPOOKY TWO that came out around this time, particularly the tune "Waiting for the Wind".

I think that an article on the the history of Hammond organ in British music would be an interesting topic for Keyboard Magazine. Many of the key players (the exception would be Graham Bond, who may have started it all) are still living. Auger, Winwood, Mayall, Wright, Lord, Zoot Money, Georgie Fame ( who am I forgetting ?) .... I think it would be a hell of an article.

Or even a whole book.

...first, let me add the following to your list; Rod Argent, Dave Greenslade and Alan Price.

Oh-and of course Keith Emerson who by '69 or so had abandoned working with guitarists (even pre-synth) in the latter days of Nice. His Hammond work on Five Bridges is still among my favorite; his live "Rondo" and "She Belongs to Me" (from another album) were based on his improvisations alone w/no guitar aside from bass.

Argent had switched to Hammond from VC and "Time of the Season" (Zombies) showcased it. Though a strong guitarist, Russ Ballard-was in his new band

the Hammond was showcased more frequently in Argent than most bands of the era, save Nice/ELP and whatever Auger was doing.

Dave Greenslade; Colosseum with Dave Greenslade and later Greenslade (2 keyboardists) were strongly Hammond-driven. No guitars.

Alan Price was a very good Hammond player who seemed to be pre-occupied with building a career as a solo performer after his Animals days. Aside from "I Put a Spell on You", there's not much on YouTube of his playing.

Excellent topic...

I think that an article on the the history of Hammond organ in British music would be an interesting topic for Keyboard Magazine. Many of the key players (the exception would be Graham Bond, who may have started it all) are still living. Auger, Winwood, Mayall, Wright, Lord, Zoot Money, Georgie Fame ( who am I forgetting ?) ....

Ian McLagan (Small Faces/Faces)

Mathew Fisher (Procol Harum)

Or even a whole book.

Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

+1 agree with you guys, let me add two more...

Vincent Crane - Crazy World of Arthur Brown and Atomic Rooster

Steve Milliner - Aardvark, very rare gem, paid an eye for this record, short lived band but great organ work overall, it's a mix of The Nice and Atomic Rooster, but no guitar.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPNXlU_nF2g

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I'd like to add Ken Hensley (Uriah Heep). It was his Hammond playing that moved me away from years of learning classical music to rock in my early teens. Kinda led me over to the dark side... :/

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Every now and then I do a search for bands that I would love to see old clips from. Tonight I found this Spooky gem. Still looking for some video from King Crimson Mark I. The Hyde Park short is too disjointed for me. Maybe some day someone will post some home video of these bands... Thank god for YouTube.

I wish Lake hadn't left and they played at the Isle festival instead of ELP, there's a lot of early ELP footage but no KC's. (Besides the one you just mentioned at Hyde). Don't know if you've seen this before :

[video:youtube]

to add 2 more :

John Evan (Tull)

Peter Bardens (Camel)

I think it'd be nice to have an article about them, as long as it's not just about Emerson & Wakeman. :poke:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Let's not forget Peter Robinson of Quatermass.

Oh yeah.... I totally FORGOT Rod Argent and Alan Price! I guess because both didn't start out on Hammond, but went to it later.

There is a neat version of Price playing I PUT A SPELL ON YOU on Youtube with an orchestra and Alan on B-3.

I don't know how many of you guys have heard ZOOT MONEY but I know he was a big influence on the whole Hammond scene in England in the mid 60's.

When I was a kid I won a copy of ZOOT MONEY'S BIG ROLL BAND - LIVE AT KLOOK's KLEEK which was actually issued on Epic records in the U.S. around 1967. I think his version of "Chauffer"is still on Youtube....excellent solo on that from Zoot.

From what I have heard, Zoot influenced Brian Auger's switch to Hammond.

Yes ....we need an oral history of Hammond organ in British music from Keyboard Magazine. And I want to do some of the interviews!( ha ha )....

How do I get in touch with Stephen Fortner?

So many great songs on that album.... "The Last Puff" was also very good with a very good version of "I Am the Walrus".

I don't know how many of you guys have heard ZOOT MONEY but I know he was a big influence on the whole Hammond scene in England in the mid 60's.

I know very little about Zoot Money other than he was the keyboard player in Dantalion's Chariot (along with future Police guitarist Andy Summers). Both jammed with The Soft Machine which Summers briefly joined for the second Hendrix US tour.

Don Shinn, he certainly had some influence on Keith Emerson's early Nice band, wether it's histrionics or quoting of classical music. There's an old interview with Emo about him. vintage 1966

[video:youtube]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_tahRFZgMM&feature=channel_video_title

Here is another... From a French documentary about the band. A later incarnation... The interviews are hilarious. I don't know what Mike Harrison is smoking, but it looks pretty intense... A lot of it seems to be right out of Spinal Tap.

Watch the end where they do a camera pan around the back of the band behind the stopped Leslie.. Looks like Gary Wright is still playing the M100 and has a Ampeg SVT head on the top of the Organ.

[video:youtube]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=-TmMk5Wz9f8

Great old live rehearsal recording of one of my favorite bands of the late 60's early 70s... Apparently recorded in Stevie Winwood's barn. Gary Wright is playing an M100 and Mike Harrison an old RMI Electric piano. When I saw them in West Palm Beach in 1969 Wright was playing a B3...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYINMrxFzI4&feature=player_embedded#!

Ah, the ugly little L-112...the cab shape and the presence of only two tabs at the left are a giveaway. I gigged with one for awhile, it was a '67 with red caps. Holy cow did that thing ever have bite...the percussion would take your head clean off. The cabinet was attacked with a jigsaw in an attempt to make it look less grannified...there's a reason I'm not a woodworker! :D

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Archived