Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Smithereens, Sat 8 October, Stone Pony, Asbury Park

Bottom End

Go see this band, they don't "phone it in" onstage! If you can't make this show, here's the schedule The Smithereens Concert Schedule

I saw the Smithereens last night at the Avalon theater in Maryland, and they were great, which is to be expected. They are a true band, not some guys backing a star, and it shows in how much fun they have onstage, and how tight they are, even if they are goofing around. They've been playing and recording steadily for 30 years, and it's not some "oldies review". I spent 6 hours in beltway and Bay Bridge traffic to see them, I wouldn't do that for just any band.

Musically, they are all in top shape, and since this is a bass forum, I'll focus on that a bit. Severo "the Thrilla" Jornacion, replaced the original bass player about 6 years ago, and while he covers the riffs you expect to hear, he's got his own style, one which is never busy or flashy for the sake of too many notes, but is melodic and ear-catching, like the best rock bassists along the lines of JP Jones, Macca, and Entwhistle. A player could learn a lot from figuring out Smithereens bass lines.

The Avalon theater is pretty small and the bass lines came through just right.

The rest of the band are about the least "rock star" as could be, but Jim Babjak is one of the best G**tarists you'll ever hear, Dennis Diken shows just how well rock can be done with a minimal drum kit, and Pat DiNizio is a great singer. All of them write songs, and sing harmonies, which is rare in a lot of rock bands these days.

It was great to see a band with a ton of talent playing great and sounding great live in a small venue. whether you know the words to all their songs or not, go see them.

They were really cool after the show, they hung out at the entrance, signed stuff and talked to everyone who wanted to.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heard Only A Memory and Blood And Roses on Sirius 1st Wave while driving to and from my brother's house today. Good band, The Smithereens (even if they did steal my band's name from high school). Some killer bass lines.
Push the button Frank.

Yeah, it had been a while since I'd been able to see them as well.

Fortunately I should be able to make up for this lack over the next few months.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

I really do like to think of the Smithereens as a pleasant alternative in the New Jersey rock scene. Their songwriting has always had some great hooks. And Dennis Diken has a fantastic feel as a drummer. I remember seeing him on the Joe Franklin show years ago and thinking he was amazingly cool.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

3/4 or 6/8, I don't care, it just rolls around and around.

"Alone At Midnight"

(a little rockabilly for EBP)

A little Latin, a little lounge, all good!

"Blue Period" Check out the bass covering a harpsichord solo!

Enjoy!

Archived