Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing piano on ABC-TV's "Pan-Am" this Sunday!

Ionian

Karine Vanasse, une bonne p'tite francophone! :thu:

Unfortunately missed the show, but I'll try and find it online somewhere. Glad to hear it was all so cool, though. :)

And yeah, stick around, Frank. KC rocks. :cool:

She is Canadian, I believe so good for you guys! ;)

A friend of mine posted this link since I can never find this stuff - but here's the episode on Hulu, if you can stand the ads:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/280287/pan-am-ich-bin-ein-berliner?from=fb_share

just jump ahead to 32:00 to pretty much catch the start of my scene.

Yeah, this forum is a lot cooler then many others. I'm sure I'll be here for a while. Besides where else can I complain to other keyboardists about a gig!

Thanks,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank, so that was you when there was "jazz music playing" throughout the scene? :) (We had the closed captioning on from an earlier scene where we couldn't make out a line.)

Nice work. You played the role well, where she whispered in your ear and you nodded. ;)

Congrats!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well played (in both ways). Appreciate your backstage insights, what a cool gig. The attention to detail is quite stunning, and now my wife is hooked on the show...

Chiming in with Joe: The background piano before your scene, was that your playing as well?

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

Watched it on Hulu last night, and both my wife and I are now fans of the show. Nice gig! So, when is your spin-off series, about the trials and tribulations of an Italian-American Jazz pianist in Berlin during the Cold War?

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Frank, so that was you when there was "jazz music playing" throughout the scene? :) (We had the closed captioning on from an earlier scene where we couldn't make out a line.)

Nice work. You played the role well, where she whispered in your ear and you nodded. ;)

Congrats!

Naaa...they didn't want me to play anything like that. They specifically brought me in for the anthem and that's all. I asked them if they wanted me to play during the scene and they wanted silence on the set. They told me they'd just dub that in later from stock or whatever. In the script it simply says, "A pianist is playing classical music in the background". But with all the dialog and everything they didn't want me playing. They wanted me just to mime until it was time for the anthem scene. I didn't push it because they were really keeping the set under control, as expected for a big production. I mean, as soon as I sat down all I did was play an octave to see if the piano was tuned or not and the assistant director came right over and asked me not to play or make noise as it's distracting to the rest of them figuring out the scene! At that point I assumed it best to sit there silently until it was my scene. I sat for a long time. Like 6 hours until we started to get close to doing run-throughs for the anthem scene!

In fact, my fiancee who's a professional flutist and has ears that make me look like a pre-schooler quickly exclaimed that the difference in timbre between the stock tracks (the classical/jazz mishmash) and the anthem were blatantly obvious even though I couldn't really hear it. But if you listen, apparently (according to her!) it's easy to tell that the musical rambling in the background and the anthem are two different pianos.

I did get a kick out of how it was like a mash of pseudo jazz and something that sounded like Mozart sonatinas. It sounded like it changed every time they cut to a different view.

As far as the nodding goes, my friends got a big kick out of that because my general response to everyone is a wink and a nod, which is exactly what I gave her! I wasn't given any direction on how to act or respond to her, so I just did what I do to everyone who wanders up to the piano!

In fact the only direction I did get was, "When you're playing, make sure it looks like you're playing but it doesn't look like you're playing too much because we still don't know what we're doing with this scene so if we decide to cut the music short in post, we don't want it to look like you're playing but if we keep it going it has to still look like you're playing."

Thank God it took a few hours to get to my scene because I had to think about that for a while...

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

In fact the only direction I did get was, "When you're playing, make sure it looks like you're playing but it doesn't look like you're playing too much because we still don't know what we're doing with this scene so if we decide to cut the music short in post, we don't want it to look like you're playing but if we keep it going it has to still look like you're playing."

Thank God it took a few hours to get to my scene because I had to think about that for a while...

:laugh: The faker's paradox, eh?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That was a powerful scene. Well done by both of you.

Thanks! More her scene then mine but I appreciate the nice words. To be honest, I was pretty much kept in the dark about everything until it was time to film, and even then I still wasn't sure what my scene was about.

In fact when I was hired, I was just told, "You're a pianist in a lounge in Berlin. It'll be fun." Then they told me that they had music they wanted me to play so they were sending it over. When I checked my email it was an arrangement of the German National Anthem. "Strange lounge..." I thought.

When I showed up, it wasn't until Karine came over to me to discuss the scene that I was filled in. And I wasn't even told about her history or the Nazi backstory, but that she gets offended by some Germans and she sings the anthem to insult them. And it wasn't until the airing that I got the entire scope of what it was all about.

I'd have to agree that it was a powerful scene.

Not sure if I would have wanted to know as I'm just supposed to be a clueless pianist anyway and not aware of her intentions. And as we all know, if I had known, well, those things have a way of sneaking into the interpretation when we play. Who knows, I might have opened with a minor chord...

Thanks again,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

Well played (in both ways). Appreciate your backstage insights, what a cool gig. The attention to detail is quite stunning, and now my wife is hooked on the show...

Chiming in with Joe: The background piano before your scene, was that your playing as well?

Hi! Thanks to you and your wife for both watching! And there's definitely much worse on TV to be hooked on!

Yeah, I was really impressed with the attention to detail regarding so much that never made it to the screen! I saw costume people fretting over which medal to put on an extra. I had a wardrobe girl assigned to me to constantly fix my tux and watch for stray threads from my sleeves in case they shot my hands. The lighting guys affixed a little, round LED light that looked like a bike reflector to the back of the lamp on the piano to shine additional light on my face. The fact that ALL the women have these little rubber knobs on their heels so none of the heels make noise on the wooden floors when they walk. Putting sugar in the champagne glasses, which were filled with champagne, right before each shot to make the bubbles.

They were also cool regarding musical details because they had a printout of the music they emailed me but I told them that I had memorized it, and in fact, based on the time in history, this chart would either be engraved, hand copied with ink or handwritten and not done with Finale/Sibelius. The prop girl told me, "Hold on - let me tell the director" and came back 5 minutes later and said, "Ok, the director said not to use the music then." I was impressed that they actually took into account what I had said. Very cool of them.

Although I suggested they give me my own series. They didn't listen to that.

Also, see above comment regarding the music before the anthem!

Thanks again so much for watching!!

Frank

www.frankperri.com

Watched it on Hulu last night, and both my wife and I are now fans of the show. Nice gig! So, when is your spin-off series, about the trials and tribulations of an Italian-American Jazz pianist in Berlin during the Cold War?

And thanks to the two of you for watching! Wow - I know people don't have much free time these days so I really find it humbling that all of you on the forum took time to check it out. Thanks so much!!!

See, you get it? I tried to tell them to spin it off but they didn't think so! hahaha.... I know at least musicians would watch something like that!

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

Checked it out on hulu too. Great job man! :thu:

Thanks a lot, man! Score one more for the working musicians. I just wish more productions would create these kinds of opportunities for us. It'd go a long way to upping the realism in the shows and getting some more work for all of us. Plus, after hanging out with over 80 extras, I get the feeling that, even though musicians can be a pain in the ass, we're still easier to deal with then Actors! ;)

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

Frank, from what you describe, what I find funny is that they are working hard to make everything look real, but they haven't settled on the details of the plot. I think we could have a whole discussion about that. I know some series are run like that, and it can end up being a struggle, especially for the actors, who don't even have their lines until the last minute. That's why there were so many cast changes on NYPD Blue, for example. They got burned out not getting their lines until they were on set every week.

:laugh: The faker's paradox, eh?

I know right? Although I'd be lying if I didn't say that in my 20+ year career if once or twice I didn't end up on a bandstand holding a sax or a trumpet because a bandleader was contracted to have 13 people on stage and was so desperate that he just paid me to stand there and look like a sax player!

And I bet I'm not the only one!

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

Hey Linwood! Thanks for watching!! And especially thanks for the nice words! I just love sharing the stories because too many people get some new gear or an interesting gig and then just post stuff like, "I like it" or "the gig was good" and that's it! Those kinds of answers always frustrate me because I love hearing about stuff, so any gigs I'm on, if someone asks I try to share as much as possible until it feels like we were all on the gig together!

Gigs sound more fun like that.

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

• 2 months later...

FYI, all episodes of this show are free on iTunes for a limited time. So if you missed Frank's performance or you are Frank and want a copy to keep, here's your chance.

I hope this link works

If it doesn't, just search for Pan Am under TV shows on iTunes. The episode is the third one, "Ich Bin Ein Berliner."

Watched Wayne's World Monday night. Ouchhh. Crucial Taunt? Pisses me right the f*ck off. Every time. Only bad thing about that movie.

What are you saying? That movie is amazing.

Edit: Didn't see that your comment was 2 months old so disregard.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Joe - thanks so much for the bump. That's really very nice of you and it just brought a huge smile to my face that anyone remembered this! =)

I have to agree with Bobadohshe - I kinda liked Crucial Taunt. In fact, I even dug their cover of "Fire"!

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

Frank, I thought it was very cool that one of us got a role like this, and every time there's a scene where "jazz music plays" in a show now I wonder if it's you or when you'll be appearing again. ;)

Archived