Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Steve Jobs

Fumblyfingers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a page at Wiki Leaks where they said they have copies of medical records saying he had HIV.

What a bunch of A-holes. Who gives a rat's ass? How does this change anybody's experience with their own iPad or MacPro etc? It is entirely unimportant......and a cruel invasion of privacy. Plus it will be horrible for his kids reading that or hearing about it etc.....what did they do to have that forced on them.

I was happy to see that the links to the so called medical files had been pulled, I never saw them either......either someone got a touch of conscience or the whole thing was bullshit.

I saw a page at Wiki Leaks where they said they have copies of medical records saying he had HIV.

What a bunch of A-holes. Who gives a rat's ass? How does this change anybody's experience... ? It is entirely unimportant......and a cruel invasion of privacy. Plus it will be horrible for his kids reading that or hearing about it etc.....what did they do to have that forced on them.

I was happy to see that the links to the so called medical files had been pulled...

MUCH agreed.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yep pancreatic cancer got him, even the rich have no advantage with that ailment....

RIP Steve. I once admired him big time.

Still admire him. Through the late 80's to now, I was an Apple User starting with the original Macintosh. I was a staff development trainer for Apple in the county where I taught for many years. Apple was and still is for the most part the most user friendly computer/interface ever created and that same connection trickled down to I-Pod,I-Pad, I-Mac, I-Book, I-Phone, I-everything. Tools that most of us use in some form everyday.

Steve J. and Steve W. changed the way we use computers forever. (Starting back with Atari and Parx) So good the Sinister Gates stole most of the technology. Less I digress. Safe passage Steve. R.I.P.

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

I have wept as I would have for a close friend. Strange how connected I felt. I think it has to do with dreams, like changing the world and stuff. Yes, I grew up in the sixties.

Anyway I am grateful to him and miss him much. His speech at Stanford in 2005 is something I am going to show the kids every month.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Steve Jobs may not have been a guitar guy, but he changed the music world. Sitting here writing this on my beater iBook even now. Rest in peace, brother, and thank you . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I saw a movie that was made about Jobs and Bill Gates, called The Pirates of Silicon Valley. If half of what they showed about the two of them is true, Jobs may have been a genius, but as a person he wasn't worth a bullet. I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but I know about as much about him as the guys who are singing his praises.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I saw a movie that was made about Jobs and Bill Gates, called The Pirates of Silicon Valley. If half of what they showed about the two of them is true, Jobs may have been a genius, but as a person he wasn't worth a bullet. I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but I know about as much about him as the guys who are singing his praises.

Walt Disney was a flaming asshole too. So was Ray Kroc (McDonalds). I have to believe that, in order to build a successful company out of nothing, one has to either have the perfect business model and a lot of help or be a tenacious, ruthless bastard.

Wayyyy true

From another geezer on another forum I frequent

The bullshit I've read today! Some people actually believe that he invented the graphical user interface (the smart guys at Xerox, Palo Alto did), the mouse (Xerox again), desktop publishing (Aldus), the mac (Steve Wozniak), and Pixar (a department of Lucas Film started by Ed Catmull, that Jobs bought from Lucas for $5million in 1986).

True enough Xerox Parc, and Woz did the real work on the Mac, and the Apple II. I ain't going to speak ill of the dead but his fame and fortune came on the backs of others and he took all the credit.

Jobs was like a conductor in a symphony orchestra, without the musicians a conductor would not be much of anything to speak about. Same with Jobs the folks at Apple who worked day to day on the products they made are the real hero's, same as the musicians in a symphony orchestra but the conductor always gets the praise.

I was thinking of mentioning all that after a decent interval-someone on FB was even more direct, calling it `stealing and rebranding`. I`m not a Mac guy so not up on the issue. But it seems to me that some of the theftees should have come forward and said something, no?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

But it seems to me that some of the theftees should have come forward and said something, no?

You know how extreme the Cult of Mac is...you can't talk trash about their Jesus or you would be slaughtered. ;)

I've gotten along fine in life without buying a single Apple product. There are other alternatives that work as well if not better.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I knew Steve Jobs was as big an asshole as Gates way back in 1983 when Apple sued Colecovision over their supposed "copyright infringement" regarding the ADAM and the similarities between ADAM's BASIC and Apple's. The fact that they managed to get a judge to agree that a universal cross-platform language could be in any way copyrighted by a company that had nothing to do with its development was mind-blowing.

Man, this is starting to sound like one of those threads trashing Hendrix because he supposedly didn't know how to play guitar 'correctly'.

No, because there is hard fact being passed around in this thread as opposed to subjective opinion. Jobs' douchebaggery is downright legendary.

I'd rather participate in an honest discussion about the man than read about how some bunch of chuckleheads went out and had a virtual candlelight vigil using iPad apps instead of real candles in memory of the guy... (actually happened last night, seriously).

Walt Disney was a flaming asshole too. So was Ray Kroc (McDonalds). I have to believe that, in order to build a successful company out of nothing, one has to either have the perfect business model and a lot of help or be a tenacious, ruthless bastard.

I hear Leo Fender was a real nice guy...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Jobs' douchebaggery is downright legendary.

I'd rather participate in an honest discussion about the man than read about how some bunch of chuckleheads went out and had a virtual candlelight vigil using iPad apps instead of real candles in memory of the guy... (actually happened last night, seriously).

Since I didn't know him personally, I'm going to pass on speculating on what sort of person he was & just let him go peacefully. I have no trouble at all understanding what a profound effect he had on popular culture as a visionary technology innovator.

Scott Fraser

Speaking of jackasses, the Westboro Baptist Cult is going to picket his funeral.

Calling these people jackasses does a grave disservice to actual jackasses. The Taliban should be extremely thankful to the Westboro-ites because finally there is a group which makes the Taliban appear, comparatively, to be a serious, well-reasoned mainstream religious group.

Scott Fraser

I was thinking of mentioning all that after a decent interval-someone on FB was even more direct, calling it `stealing and rebranding`. I`m not a Mac guy so not up on the issue. But it seems to me that some of the theftees should have come forward and said something, no?

I was a big admirer of Apple computer back in those days and of Steve Jobs. I had a Mac Plus, the first real success for Apple. I was really into all the stuff going on at Apple back in the day. I even bought the first color Mac a Mac II with the Sony Monitor (which I still have up on a shelf in my shed). Macs are good computers no question about it and I would have one if they were priced the same as what I can build from parts in the Windows domain. For under a grand I can build and load on the OS an almost state of the art PC. Something that will run the best sequencer and record many tracks without glitches easily. For that capability it is $2,500 for a basic Mac Pro.... and on up in thousand dollar increments, to get to the top of the line some 3 or 4 tiers later

I have to agree, he was good at what he did, very good. And as a front man he was very-very good. But as a musician you have to know the front-men are not always the most talented folks in the band, they are just the best at presenting the stuff that he/she and the rest of the band puts out. I am the biggest fan of sidemen, the drums, the bass, the keys guy, and the rhythm guitarists, especially of arrangers, I am mostly not a fan of singers or shredders, although some of them are stellar, and those who are that gifted I am very pleased to watch and hear, but they are few and far between.

Jobs did well, I have to agree with that I just don't see the connection between what he did, and the literal meaning of the word "genius". Very smart, yes, very talented, yes. Genius, question mark. Business is not that difficult to understand. Especially when you do it every day. But I do bet there were some geniuses at Apple, the engineers and software developers, the hardware technicians, the idea men/women, lots of folks went into Apple's success, Jobs was the front-man. The geniuses were probably the sidemen.

Jobs did well, I have to agree with that I just don't see the connection between what he did, and the literal meaning of the word "genius". Very smart, yes, very talented, yes. Genius, question mark. Business is not that difficult to understand. Especially when you do it every day. But I do bet there were some geniuses at Apple, the engineers and software developers, the hardware technicians, the idea men/women, lots of folks went into Apple's success, Jobs was the front-man. The geniuses were probably the sidemen.

I think much of the questioning of genius, about Jobs specifically, but in general about any debatable geniuses, misses the point. I have been fortunate to have worked very closely over a number of years with a few people who are considered geniuses in their part of the music world. I know them well enough to see very clearly where their strengths & weaknesses are, what they do & don't know, & what they are capable of that I'm not. It's really the vision thing. I may know more about using music technology, but they have had the vision about what they want to have accomplished. Then it's up to us who serve genius to figure out the details. Somebody mentioned that Jobs didn't invent the graphic user interface & point-&-click device. Of course not. Technology giant Xerox did, but they had no idea of what to do with it. Jobs' great vision was that he saw this invention & imagined how it could be applied to home computing, which the geniuses at Xerox didn't. And that's an act of surpassing imagination, to see what others didn't see. Genius? I dunno. Define it for yourselves. But Jobs most definitely imagined things that no one else had, & then went about bringing them into the world. And a big part of invention is gathering a team of capable players to do the specialized detail work. Whether we call it genius or not is unimportant, but what is not debatable is that Jobs had the vision thing going on.

Scott Fraser

I belong to another forum called the Warrior Forum, which is the largest online forum dedicated to all aspects of marketing on the internet-an excellent forum. However, seeing all the genuflecting going on in the thread about Jobs' life and death reminded me of the childish hero-worship of rock stars by their fans.

By contrast, it's refreshing to see an honest discussion of his impact here. I didn't know that much about him, but was pretty sure the story couldn't possibly be as glowing as the disciples made it sound. On the other hand, all the posthumous sucking up was certainly evidence of one thing they lauded: that he was an excellent marketer, and his and Apple's own mystique is evidence of it, though I'm sure he had plenty of good help with that too.

I'm pretty sure we'd have the interwebs and good computers even if he'd never been here, unlike the picture some of the faithful painted. Both he and Gates have benefited hugely from technology advances we can thank the US taxpayers for. It's the same old story seen in many technology industries-public investments, then private profits, offshoring jobs, and transfering the profits offshore as well to avoid corporate taxes, and shifting the burden of any environmental impact costs once again, to the people who actually pay the taxes companies like Apple manage to weasel out of.

Six little wires and 22 frets? How hard could it be?

Archived