Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Price on Yamaha DX7...??

metromike

I was wondering if this could be done. I like the sample RAM.

I assume you mean the sample RAM for TG500,- I don´t have it because loading is over MIDI and slow.

But all the samples you find in a SY99 are in the TG500 too.

So, if you use the TG77 mainly for FM and layer the samples from TG500, you come close to a SY99 soundwise plus the option to use TG77(SPX90)FX for the FM and TG500(SPX900)FX for it´s sample based voices/performances.

By the way, what do you think of the Musitronics board? Good collection of sounds?

Bob Graham

Well, it´s retro, what else, but much better than the samples you find in the stock TG77.

Today, it´s questionable whether you REALLY need it or not.

It´s 8MB more samples and when Musitronics designed it, they made the best from it they could do at that time.

Sample wizzard Claudius Brüse (well known in germany) did the sample sets and it´s a good assortment for the 90th demands.

There are 2 bugs in the multi sample map for 2 instruments though,- GitNylon 118 and Git12String 121 sound like drums below E1.

Don´t know if they got that sorted out w/ later boards and also doubt you´ll play these patches below E1 at all.

Anyway, you get WAY better drums, some usefull classic synth sounds, ethno and atmo sounds and some instrument sounds the TG77 doesn´t have,- english horn p.ex..

You get 143 new waveforms, 61 are drums,- and 128 new presets on a separate disk.

The installation is for a qualified tech even it´s well documented.

You also get a modded OS for the SY/TG77 to use the new samples the way you use the old ones when programming patches.

A.C.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A word of warning: The display in the TG77 tends to become *very* dim with the years - especially if you have spent many nights programming it. :freak: I replaced the backlight about 8 years ago, but it never returned to the original brightness, and also after a few years the new one started to fade too! So I finally took the plunge and ordered the so-called "cool blue" LCD, a superbright display which uses a more recent technology, with white LED as backlight. Installing a whole new display on the TG77 was a nightmare - in the end, I had a tech doing it. But now, my TG77 has the brightest display of my entire studio, including the K2600 and the VL1m! :)

The samples in the TG/SY generally pale in comparison with anything recent - card included.... to me, the FM part was way more interesting. BUT I seem to remember that some Dutch guy designed a device wich allowed to load *your own* samples. IIRC it just fooled the instrument into believing that it was seeing a card.

Does anybody have some clues?

A word of warning: The display in the TG77 tends to become *very* dim with the years - especially if you have spent many nights programming it. :freak: I replaced the backlight about 8 years ago, but it never returned to the original brightness, and also after a few years the new one started to fade too! So I finally took the plunge and ordered the so-called "cool blue" LCD, a superbright display which uses a more recent technology, with white LED as backlight. Installing a whole new display on the TG77 was a nightmare - in the end, I had a tech doing it. But now, my TG77 has the brightest display of my entire studio, including the K2600 and the VL1m! :)

Where did you order your display unit ?

I tried here ...

http://www.zinguy.com/lcdpage.htm

... but these are sold out since a long time.

OTOH, like with most rack modules, I find frontpanel-editing w/ the TG77 somewhat uncomfortable anyway, it´s a machine w/ ~1.500 parameters.

Using a bankmanager/editor is more or less essential for me.

The samples in the TG/SY generally pale in comparison with anything recent - card included.... to me, the FM part was way more interesting. BUT I seem to remember that some Dutch guy designed a device wich allowed to load *your own* samples. IIRC it just fooled the instrument into believing that it was seeing a card.

Does anybody have some clues?

I´m not aware of such a product for the SY/TG77.

Are you sure it exists or existed or can that be a mix-up w/ the Zardoc SAM-1 for Korg M1/Wavestation/M3R ?

A.C.

+1 for loving the TG-77 & +1 for the display warning. I was on my 2nd replacement that was starting to dim when I sold mine.

Its pads were a thing of beauty, though. Don't really need it now because of Omnisphere, but that was one of its many charms.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

A word of warning: The display in the TG77 tends to become *very* dim with the years - especially if you have spent many nights programming it. :freak: I replaced the backlight about 8 years ago, but it never returned to the original brightness, and also after a few years the new one started to fade too! So I finally took the plunge and ordered the so-called "cool blue" LCD, a superbright display which uses a more recent technology, with white LED as backlight.

I need to find out where to get that display. Sounds like a very nice display. I am passible with the soldering iron. Where can I purchase it?

Bob Graham

PC361, Virus TI, TG77, MIDIBoard.

Where did you order your display unit ?

I tried here ...

http://www.zinguy.com/lcdpage.htm

... but these are sold out since a long time.

Right there. I ordered it last year; he said he had just a few units left, so I guess mine was one of the last ones.

OTOH, I don't think that guy is the designer or even the builder of the device; he just sold them. But I don't have any clue on where to trace a source.

OTOH, like with most rack modules, I find frontpanel-editing w/ the TG77 somewhat uncomfortable anyway, it´s a machine w/ ~1.500 parameters.

Using a bankmanager/editor is more or less essential for me.

Eh... it's one of the most nightmarish machines to program. But after having programmed a DX7 (or a WS, or a Chroma), I don't fear anything. :D

I´m not aware of such a product for the SY/TG77.

Are you sure it exists or existed or can that be a mix-up w/ the Zardoc SAM-1 for Korg M1/Wavestation/M3R ?

Actually, I'm pretty sure that something of the kind was announced for the SY at some point... but that's all I remember, unfortunately.

One can always try to find an SY99 with the optional RAM maxed out... :freak:

Side note: We have an old/battered SY99 at school. Wow, that thing just sounds great!

I kind of like FM on stuff like Wind Beneath my Wings.

I like the DX on smooth jazz stuff in the vein of Sypro Gyra and stuff like Sade, Chaka Khan .... I was doing stuff like that back then. Not my favorite cup of tea but was a good paying gig.

I like Eno's DX7 ambient work, he had a much different approach to FM than the typical electric piano/bell emulations. Some of the timbres he used were very creative.

I've never been able to let go of my DX7IIfd...as many have noted, it has a character all its own and is capable of some really evocative synthy sounds beyond the bell/rhodes stuff.

And you can probably get a really nice II with a floppy drive for that price (helps with loading all kinds of interesting sounds for those of us who don't care to dig into FM algorithms...).

I've never liked the original DX7 compared to the II (original is really muffled on its high end, and noisy too).

None of this makes me any less interested in the SYs (esp 99, always keeping my eye open on Ebay). Had an FS1r for a while, but found it more of a novelty than something consistently useful.

I need to find out where to get that display. Sounds like a very nice display. I am passible with the soldering iron. Where can I purchase it?

Bob Graham

The display Marino mentioned is unfortunately out of stock, that not only at this seller.

Someone had luck w/ this one...

Digi-Key part # NHD-24064WG-ATFH-VZ*000CB

Here´s his comment copied from his post:

>>>

1. display is about 2mm thicker than the original...I used washers under the mounting screws so as

not to bend the display board.

2. new display needs LESS contrast bias than the original: had to change the 820-ohm resistor in the

-12 volt line to the contrast pot to a 4.7K

<<<

I´ve found that yesterday investigating for the display Marino mentioned, which is a:

Emerging Display Technologies EW50340BMW.

You cannot find it anymore and if, http://www.zinguy.com/lcdpage.htm will offer it again, but don´t expect it will happen.

The original SY&TG77 display is a Optrex DMF-5005.

I see these are still availbale from global distributors, but almost impossible to buy in small quantities.

I see Yamaha 24x7.com has VF931200 LCD ASSY SY77 listed as available,- but is $ 218.48

I replaced the backlight some years ago,- now it´s blue and not really ideal.

I think I´ll try the Digi-Key part next future.

http://parts.digikey.com/uk/1/1259061-lcd-mod-graph-240x64-wh-transfl-nhd-24064wg-atfh-vz-000cb.html

I hope the link works here ... :-)

Someone reported a price of $58.-

A.C.

I've never been able to let go of my DX7IIfd...as many have noted, it has a character all its own and is capable of some really evocative synthy sounds beyond the bell/rhodes stuff.

I´m with you,- wanted to sell my DX7mkIIFD when I buyed the Kurz PC361, but didn´t up to now even I own a TX816 and a TG77.

I like the feel of the keybed, the pitch bend options and the sound of the DX7II,- and I like it´s look !

It´s a very elegant looking keyboard on stage and a DX7mkIIFD has the highest value of all the DX models on the market for used gear and collectors.

A.C.

Archived