Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Price on Yamaha DX7...??

metromike

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought mine locally, with a music stand and voice cartridge, for $140. As far as I know, it was only owned once, and despite a bit of dirt on the keys (that I cleaned off), it's in pristine as heck condition. Now, $200, I admit, could be fair under better cosmetic conditions. I'm actually after another local DX7 and even DX7mkII. I may end up with 1-4 extra synths by the end of next week. :P

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Considering that the OP already owns a Motif ES6, there is really no reason to spend that much on a DX7.

Otherwise, I've seen DX7's locally for 1/2 that price or less. Hold out mayne. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If you want to explore Yamaha's version of FM, I suggest an SY77/99 instead of the DX line. The SY series is much more powerful with resonant filters, decent effects, and many more options in the FM engine including multiple waveforms for carriers and modulators, loopable EGs, a bunch more algorithms, etc.

The DX7 was my first synth so I still hold some nostalgia for it, but the SY series is superior in every aspect.

And I disagree that the novelty of FM wears off. It is an incredibly deep method of synthesis for those who want to take the time to explore it.

I would also recommend the TG-77 rack mounted version, assuming you already have a keyboard that can be used as MIDI controller. But you may miss having all of the controls right in front of you.

As an aside, it is interesting how some can think their synth can do FM because they can get a few FM-like sounds out of it using something like their waveshaper feature. They have absolutely no idea what they are missing by not working with a real FM synthesizer, like the DX7 or SY77. And it is impossible to have them understand this.

Bob Graham

PC361, Virus TI, TG77, MIDIBoard.

You might also consider a Yamaha DX200. I really enjoyed mine. It has a PLG150-DX inside that you can install in many Yamaha keybaords for FM. I eventually pulled the PLG card from the DX200 and put it in a Motif. Now it is in my S90ES.

A few years ago a cleaning frenzy collided with a moment of stupidity and I tossed the DX200 because I thought I would never use it again. At the time the Ebay rate for the DX200 was the same amount as the PLG150-DX

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If you want to explore Yamaha's version of FM, I suggest an SY77/99 instead of the DX line. The SY series is much more powerful with resonant filters, decent effects, and many more options in the FM engine including multiple waveforms for carriers and modulators, loopable EGs, a bunch more algorithms, etc.

The DX7 was my first synth so I still hold some nostalgia for it, but the SY series is superior in every aspect.

And I disagree that the novelty of FM wears off. It is an incredibly deep method of synthesis for those who want to take the time to explore it.

I agree. I've always regretted selling my SY77. It was ahead of it's time.

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

The only reason I bought a DX7 back in 1987 was cause of the electric piano sound. I was so tired of slepping Rhodes. I think the only other sound I liked on it was the Vibes. Luckily not long after that Roland came out with MKS-20 and it became a controller until I sold it.

I also remember buying a piano patch for the DX7 that was awful. Then Korg came out with the SG-1D and I sold my MKS-20 and my new slepp began. I remember seeing Kenny Kirkland playing one with Sting and I had to have it.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

There are some GREAT DX-7 that come out of the keyboard, and adding a bit of modulation to those can leave you with some of the most interesting sounds you've ever heard! And I love the electric piano sound. There's also a good string patch. It's definitely not my go-to keyboard, and I don't see myself ever gigging with it, but it is a nice keyboard to have in my home studio/collection.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I would also recommend the TG-77 rack mounted version, assuming you already have a keyboard that can be used as MIDI controller. But you may miss having all of the controls right in front of you. Bob Graham

+1

TG77 is built like a tank and has double stereo outs as well as 8 single outs.

I have it combined w/ a Yammi TG500 which is a killer combo in the rack.

Samples wise, w/ this combo you have all from SY77 and SY99, the "SPX90 type" and the SPX900 type" FX,- and there´s the option to upgrade TG77 w/ the Musitronics EX board.

You can get a used TG77 in good condition for $250.-.

If one wants more advanced FM than SY/TG77, there´s only FS1r,- but these are very rare and expensive used.

A.C.

Agreed. I was surprised at some of the responses. I thought the DX7 was a very interesting (and potentially really strange sounding) synth for those who explored it.

trebuchet.
+1

Actually, when they first came out I had a lot of fun and bepuzzlement fiddling with them in shops and seeing what FM synthesis could do. I came to the realization that while I could make a lot of different sounds, I was nowhere near exhausting the subject. But none of the sounds I made or found really pleased my ears.

Later I came to loathe that sizzling sound (which to my ear is very close to the sound of aliasing and also bad loop points in looped samples) in the poor excuse for a chimey Rhodesy tone that we think of when we think of DX7. (Many of us suppressing a gag instinct ...)

On the other hand, I bet there are lots of examples of good DX7 tones that I don't recognize as such, simply because they don't suck.

I kind of like FM on stuff like Wind Beneath my Wings.

I like the DX on smooth jazz stuff in the vein of Sypro Gyra and stuff like Sade, Chaka Khan .... I was doing stuff like that back then. Not my favorite cup of tea but was a good paying gig.

IMO the DX-7 (in my case the TX-7) did a lot of sounds that didn't sound all the great alone but they layered well and sat well in a song mix. My biggest problem was programming it didn't make sense to me and I didn't expend the time to learn how. I bought a boat load of patches on data cassette tape I used. I got a ton of mileage out of the TX-7 / D-50 rig.

I still have a TX81Z in my rack that can do some interesting FM bass.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

TG77 is built like a tank and has double stereo outs as well as 8 single outs.

I have it combined w/ a Yammi TG500 which is a killer combo in the rack.

Samples wise, w/ this combo you have all from SY77 and SY99, the "SPX90 type" and the SPX900 type" FX,- and there´s the option to upgrade TG77 w/ the Musitronics EX board.

[/Quote]

I was wondering if this could be done. I like the sample RAM. By the way, what do you think of the Musitronics board? Good collection of sounds?

Bob Graham

PC361, Virus TI, TG77, MIDIBoard.

Archived