Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sorta OT: Yucky sound abounds

Synthoid

While I was at the deli counter in the grocery store last night, I noticed there were two different songs playing. One from the store PA, and another seeming to come from the coat of the person next to me. I guess it was his iPhone, but it sounded awful... like one of those cheap transistor radios from the 60's.

I guess we've occasionally discussed this in various threads--the current generation is growing up with cheesy ear buds and microscopic sized speakers... not the best way to appreciate good music. Does anyone under 30 even have a decent stereo system at home?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that I think about it, I haven't turned on my home stereo in awhile. I often listen to tunes online with my computer speakers, but they sound great with the subwoofer. I'm just amazed with people using ear buds all the time and missing out.

I was thinking about this the other day.

There was such hoopla about the sound quality of MP3 vs. CD (or better) audio not so long ago.

But, after so many months (years), convenience has - for the most part - won out.

I rarely listen to a CD any more - except perhaps in the car.

This means that practically everything I listen to has gone through some form of data compression... and I don't seem to care. :sick:

Most of my listening is at home in my studio through KRK monitors. The source is usually an MP3 on my computer. Other than that I've got my iPod connected to a Tivoli Radio. (These radios sound really good, BTW.)

Owning a nice audio system used to be a big deal. That gave way to interest in computers and wide-screen television.

But with all the commercials they pack in with TV shows these days, and all the BS on the interwebz that ramps up my anxiety level, I hope that one day things will circle back around and we'll all actually want to get back to listening and performing live music.

So... What are the chances of that happening?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm almost 40 and I haven't had a stereo system for almost 20 years....

When you had your stereo system did you run it in mono?

:laugh::P

Hahaha...this killed me. :wave:

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Owning a nice audio systems used to be a big deal.

Yup. One had "cool" status with the chicks. Or at least that's what the cool kids told me. :laugh:

I listen through my monitors. I really don't have much interest in fancypants stereos anymore. I have a Delco radio in the car. :thu:

It all went to hell after the ghetto blaster faded away, and the walkman went mainstream

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/127245079_726078f8e5.jpg

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Some earbuds are pretty nice. The ones that come with the player aren't great, but when we're walking around, crossing the street, are we supposed to be "lost in the music"? Probably not a good idea.

That guy's iPhone you overheard - was he listening thru the iPhone's built-in speaker, or did he have it turned up so loud you could hear it bleeding thru his earbuds? Either way, :sick:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My two 20 something nephews love listening to vintage stereos, as they grew up around them (the youngest one has a nice '80s system his dad gave him last year). I bought my costly home stereo system in '83 and will never stop enjoying it, although the amp acts up once in a while :mad: . I have little interest in today's disposable audio gadgets, although some do sound quite good, yet I hope more folks of all ages will get back to listening to the older hi-fi :thu: .

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

I'm turning 20 soon, and I listen to music on a couple of decent studio monitors. Granted, they're in no way high-end, and they would benefit from a bit of subwoofing (which of course I can't afford at the moment), but they're in no sense bad.

I've got friends, a few of which even here in conservatory, who listen to music on their laptops a great bit. I don't get it. And I've been facepalming heavily, seeing kids walking down the street with a loud-techno/hiphop/crap-playing cellphone. Real utter crap sounding.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

I don't get it. And I've been facepalming heavily, seeing kids walking down the street with a loud-techno/hiphop/crap-playing cellphone. Real utter crap sounding.

I had a Bang & Olufsen stereo receiver and turntable back in the 80's. I remember summer afternoons with the windows open and that stereo blasting some great prog rock... ah, those were the days.

:cool:

Yeah, its amazing how that went the other way around, High definition multichannel audio was supposed to be the next big thing for the consumer market, but MP3, changed all that, thats actually a pretty interesting marketing study, they were many factors contributing, the internet boom and the electronics manufacturers getting greedy over a new format, at the end, portability won, so we got earbuds and mp3 players in our phones, cars, tv's etc.

Now that PA systems are run way too loud and music producers are intentionally distorting tracks and overly compressed mixes are flying out of recording and mastering studios, hi-fidelity audio is asleep in a handbasket in h*ll. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've got friends, a few of which even here in conservatory, who listen to music on their laptops a great bit.

I do this a great bit, too. Gives what I'm listening to a crappy AM radio vibe. ;)

Joking aside, it can help me tell what's been mixed well and what hasn't.

I think the good producers had a hard time defending themselves and keeping their composure towards a lot of people who were willing to dig so much crap and worse, and that nowadays maybe it can save a lot of peoples' appetite to get some film, preferably on bluray, with good sound track. Even that is sometimes hard to defend, and gets a lot of evil-minded people in line to "take it all over".

I am for the discussion on good audiom that goes without saying. Anyone know how to convince the "HD tracks" to put their tracks up for download in Europe ?

Oh I agree about the PA's I heard some of them lately (though not very well) and agree that only sometimes they work good.

24 of age here.

I mostly listen to music in my car, which has semi-decent system (stock, though), or wear headphones, I have nice AKGs, and JBLs.

I do own a decent stereo, including a vintage turntable, and a pair of 8" Yammie monitors, which produce good sound, but rarely get a chance to turn these on.

Funny, I care less about the sound quality as I get older.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I usually listen on my home setup. I have a good system, with some big old (1980) Cerwin Vega 3 ways with built in crossovers.

I have an old Marantz tube amplifier and Marantz pre-amp and tuner.

I also still have my old Pioneer direct drive turntable, with extra cartridges.

I love getting out my old LP's and spinning them up. Something about that warm, analog sound just makes me happy ;)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Too close to the 30's here, I usually listen on my home setup as well. a good system with a Technics SL-1200 (that i just got 2 months ago, almost for free) with KRK studio monitors (My JBL's are done for, think i mentioned it here) or when i'm listening to lossless formats on the computer i use a Presonus audio card and the same KRK monitors. Oh, and installed a good system in my car as well, so wherever i go i have the quality i enjoy.

I think the real question would be to "anyone under 20", cause that's the Ipod/celphone listener generation.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I listen to vinyl a lot, and the era when vinyl was the standard format was way before my time, so it's not a legacy/nostalgia thing. That said, I definitely listen to mp3s by far the most. As someone else said, convenience often wins out. Music is just unlistenable through laptop and cell phone "speakers" though. I can't understand how anybody would enjoy that.

Hmm, I turned 30 24 years ago. Seems like yesterday. Wait, what did I do yesterday?

I haven't had a decent stereo set up in decades. I listened on my PA gear or home kb monitors or whatever junk I was using for "studio monitors", which I put in quotes because nobody would call what I used suitable for the purpose.

I just moved into a home that has speakers built into the walls in 6 rooms, so I wired them up (and added a few ancient Oratone "comparison monitors" in the TV room, which was wired but had no speakers). I got an older Yamaha 6.1 AV receiver off ebay to power them; I'm running it a bit under spec load impedance but it's protected and hasn't clipped off yet.

Turns out the built-in speakers sound pretty good. Not audiophile, but I'm not one anyway. I'm enjoying listening to my favorite jams all through the house while I'm doing whatever; makes chores & projects more enjoyable. :-)

I do need to get a CD player that doesn't skip when I crank it up, though. Oh yeah, ipod! Next Gen, here I come, kicking and screaming.

I think the real question would be to "anyone under 20", cause that's the Ipod/celphone listener generation.
Been an iPod junkie since I turned 30, 9 years ago.....

Yeah, but that's you. Most of the people i know who are 25 or 30+ still care about a good listening experience, they grew up with Vinils, cassetes and/or buying cds, the generation Z is the one who grew up with internet, torrents, downloading entire discographies in minutes to listen with their crap laptop and celphone speakers. Actually, this thread is a good example of what i just said, most of the 20+ yo people here still listen to music with good monitors and a good system.

I'm not hating, i have an ipod too and always take it with me whenever i go on a trip but sorry, man...whenever i can, i'll listen to music the way it's supposed to be, it's a piece of art after all, not compressed quality or shitty speakers, and that's not just me.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Yeah, home stereos. One time they were considered a status symbol. I don't own an iPOD, never had a Walkman. I guess its because I prefer to ride. I have a decent ghetto blaster with a CD player, AM/FM and decent size speakers. When I want a quality sound, I turn on my KB rig sound system and play CD's through my mixer. During the summer months when I'm cleaning windows or working outside, I play some tunes with the house windows open, until the neighbor complains. :cry:

Most of the time, I'm with GAS and play MP3's through my computer speakers (with a sub woofer). Can't beat it for convenience, but MP3's and these small desktop speakers suck. If I ever get any money, I'm going to buy a better set of desktop speakers.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

whenever i can, i'll listen to music the way it's supposed to be, it's a piece of art after all, not compressed quality or shitty speakers, and that's not just me.
I didn't realize music was meant to be listened to via recording. Seems to me that's a fairly recent paradigm.....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Brings to mind a conversation I had with one of my nephews quite awhile ago... he told me he had over 3,000 mp3's in his collection. I wanted to say something like, "back in my day, we had to pay for our music."

:rolleyes:

whenever i can, i'll listen to music the way it's supposed to be, it's a piece of art after all, not compressed quality or shitty speakers, and that's not just me.
I didn't realize music was meant to be listened to via recording. Seems to me that's a fairly recent paradigm.....

I meant it's supposed to be listened with the best quality possible. But of course, it's up to the listener, whatever works for you. On the other hand, I don't know of people who print out a copy of a Picaso's or a Da Vinci's painting and put it up there in their living room, do you? So that's how i see records, every little shade and texture and little detail is important and a lossy file just kills that (as would printing out a copy of any painting). And like i said before, that's not just me.

Archived