Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo to Mono Question

Fusker

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks MD! I picked up on that as well...that's a Instrument cable out isn't it?

Yep, 1/4". I don't remember if it's balanced.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

So on the Kronos, using CX3 engine with Leslie, do you get the full summed signal using L/mono out? I would assume you do since the Leslie is not part of the CX3 engine but instead part of the global (or at least insert) effects. Can someone confirm?
For any Leslie sim, WHY would you WANT to sum the two? If it's a good sim, it's simulating putting two mics on a real Leslie upper rotor (ignoring bottom for now). Under what circumstances would you want to use 2 mics at say 90 degrees and then sum them to mono? Wouldn't it usually be better to just use one mic per rotor? If the effect is too strong, isn't it better to back the mic away rather than adding a 2nd (on sims that give you this control)?

Because the volume drops every time it passes the channel not heard, creating a tremelo effect that is not realistic, or desirable. There's some pretty significant panning going on. As you suggest, maybe there's some tweaking I could do to alleviate thi, but it was every patch, and it sounded great in stereo. It's been in storage for over a year now and I only gigged with it once..I mainly got it for home to try to get more acquainted with "real" organ playing (as close as is practical for me).

But I asked the question since the Kronos WILL be my gigging keyboard.

Also, regarding your comment about summing mono. Most keyboards DO just sum left and right internally. I think a lot of the artifacts people complain about come from the mixers. Inconsistencies in signal path, channel to channel phase shift, etc cause problems.

Try this sometime: use a Y cable to send the exact same signal to 2 mixer channels and mix them to the same level. Depending on the mixer quality, you may get phasing and other artifacts. NOW, run each signal through a DI to 2 mixer channels. You'll get more differences in the signals due to tolerances in the transformers, resulting in more artifacts.

The best place to mix is in the keyboard.

The Leslie sim is part of the CX-3 engine on the Kronos, but you can also bypass it and take it from the preamp out to EITHER a direct out to go into something like the Ventilator OR into the IFXs where you can set up the Leslie sim and chain however you like.

If you're running mono you might want to check out the KSound programs for the Kronos CX-3. A number of the included patches are mono. He's doing some very interesting things in some of these programs like running two Leslie sims concurrently and using guitar and other FXs for overdrive. He never uses the Leslie sim/overdrive from the CX-3 engine as I recall.

KSounds Full Organ - Kronos

KSounds Rock - Kronos

http://ksounds.com/html/organimation_kronos_oasys.html

BTW, if you use a Ventilator you can also run it back in through audio ins on the Kronos eliminating the need for an external mixer plus you can add FXs like reverb. All this is done at the Program level so it can all be customized. Very nice.

Busch.

Bill:

Question, can you change the slow to fast transition for the "low rotor" and the horn separately?

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived