Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Possible new band

EddiePlaysBass

My dad has been talking with an old guitar player buddy of his, about starting a new band. They ran into an old drummer they used to play with (back in the '70s) at a blues jam, and he may be interested to join. Today my dad got a text message from said guitarist asking if I would be interested in joining them, if and when they get the right amount of people together.

Now, I've played in a band with my dad before, and it was actually loads of fun. Never played with the guitarist but I know he is incredibly good. He also started out as a bassist, and likes his bass players tight and not too flashy. Don't know about my tightness but I am definitely not flashy! He does have a bit of a temper, though, and is said to be very difficult to work with.

I told my dad that my involvement will depend on two things: whether I have the time to commit to a second project (my work life is way too hectic at the moment but I plan on toning it down a good deal) and secondly, whether I will have fun in this project. For me, that is what it is all about: fun. And if said guitarist turns out to be a hard-*ss and sucks all the fun out of the project, I am walking.

Having said that, I think it could potentially be fun. Will be loads of classic rock, maybe some blues thrown in for good measure. I may get a chance to do some backing vocals, not sure yet. Plan on using the 4-string Squier P exclusively, unless they insist I bring the Fender. No room for the upright, though, but I plan on incorporating that into the blues band set list at some point.

Updates surely to follow :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh the possibilities !!

I reconnected recently with a guitarist I played with in high school and college (we were good friends most of our lives). He's playing in a classic rock band (shocking!). He recently wrote to me that they might be parting company with their bass player, and would I be interested? Yes - but what is the schedule like... He said weekly practices and I said no thanks. I'd love to play with him again, but my work/home/Stonefly life doesn't have room for weekly rehearsals.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

When I was a kid, my dad played the recorder in a classical music group. Of course, I wanted nothing to do with that, or with playing music in general. Now I love playing, but of course my dad died several years ago. What I wouldn't give for the chance just to have him hear me play, let along perform together. What I wouldn't give for my own son to renew his interest in guitar and to play with his old man.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Richard, I feel the same towards my dad. I have been nagging for ages to get him "out of retirement" and into a band. He and I spent 6 months in a cover band that went no where fast, but realised we actually worked rather well together. There is a new element here in the guitarist, but I am sure I will cope. I dare say I'm a good bass player -though far from special or flashy, or technical for that matter- so I'm sure I will blend in.

My favourite idea, which he and I never developed further, was Made In Italy, a band which would have consisted of Italian musicians (my dad's Italian, I am half-Italian and half-Belgian) and played Italian music. Notice a theme? There is a strong Italian community where we live and I am sure we could have marketed it properly to get some leverage out of it (community parties, weddings etc.) but he would have none of it.

I consider this the last go. My dad will probably never do the band thing again, after this particular project. So I'd rather kick myself for joining, than spend the rest of my life asking the "what if" question.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived