Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KC Houstonians: Recommendations for Selling Yammie Upright?

BlackandWhite

My older brother died recently. I'm in charge of disposing of his house and furnishings. Among them is a ~10-year old Yamaha upright (I believe it's a U1) that he purchased new from the local dealer.

Any recommendations, other than Craigslist, as to how to sell it? I'll be in Houston for a few days in October; would like to take care of it, then. Thanks.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, sorry for your loss.

I don't have any particular solutions besides what B3-er said. I might be able to give you the names of some tuners/techs if you're interested. We can also discuss what I think of some of the local stores if you wish. PM if you like.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sorry about your brother.

I'd start with the local dealer that sold the piano and reaching out to to others that do consignments (as B3-er suggested).

Craigslist would likely be the best route for a private sale, but the problem you'll have is time. Typically quality larger ticket items priced fairly and appropriately can sit for the right buyer to come along. Given that you've got a short window, you can force a quick sale by taking less that its worth (usually helps facilitate a faster sale), but then you're losing money on the deal.

If it were me, I'd try the consignment route, assuming giving 30-40% of the sale price gets you where you want to be, pricewise. This way, you arrange for the piano to be moved to their location and then wait for a check.

Good luck.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Archived