Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio PX-3 lack of volume pedal input?

wruess

Was gonna take a look at this board for a possible 'light weight' gig replacement unit. Doesn't seem to have an input for a volume pedal. Am I reading the specs correctly?

Can't imagine using a piano/keyboard for live performance w/o an input for volume pedal.

Am I missing something?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all you care about using the pedal for is volume, you can take the guitarist approach and just put a volume pedal between the line out and whatever amp/mixer/direct box you're going into.

But a pedal input would have been nice, for being able to assign to different functions besides volume, or to be able to selectively apply the volume pedal to different sounds in a layer or split (which you can still kind of do if you pan the sounds out different outputs, if you need a workaround). There are actually some other possible workarounds that have been discussed (not sure if it was here or another forum), but if all you are really concerned about is volume, putting the regular volume pedal on the output would be the easiest way to go.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes. I have a PX3 and no, it doesn't have an expression/volume pedal input. I did find it a frustrating omission. Can only imagine the thinking is somewhat along the line of "pianos don't need expression pedals" or something like that.

Because of the limited dynamic range of DP (compared to the real mccoy) I regularly use volume pedal on the kronos for piano-only gigs.

If all you care about using the pedal for is volume ...just put a volume pedal between the line out and whatever amp/mixer/direct box you're going into.

Yes, a lot to be said for this for live playing. I don't currently do this but even when there is an expression pedal option - you can map it to something else.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I'm sure I'll take flak for this, but c'mon, you're complaining about a non-piano feature missing on a budget digital piano? Really? It's a "mistake"? :rolleyes:

The PX-3 is designed largely as a controller, with strong capabilities for controlling other MIDI devices. That's the big thing that differentiates it from the lower priced PX-330. In that context, the lack of an expression pedal is unfortunate.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The PX-3 is designed largely as a controller,

I guess it's a matter of perspective; from where I sit, it's a digital piano with controller features, not a controller with digital piano features. That, to me, makes a difference.

I don't disagree that it's unfortunate that there isn't an expression pedal input, but to classify it as a "mistake", or unimaginable, is a tad beyond the mark, IMO.

From the Privia Page LINK

The PX-3 was designed to be the heart of your live performance rig. Its controller features allow you to control two upper and two lower zones. Each zone can be one of the PX-3s sounds, control an external MIDI device or both simultaneously. The PX-3s internal tones can be customized to meet your needs with 64 insert effects, adjustable filters, envelopes and more. All of your changes can be stored and instantly recalled from the PX-3s 64 registration locations.

So their intent seems to be as a controller from the beginning. I believe the reason it doesn't have one is that it was designed to use the same components as the PX-330 which was meant to be a consumer level digital piano. I seem to recall when they first announced it that it was supposed to be a "limited edition" which it seems they changed their minds when they discovered they have a hit. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they come out with a px-4 that has additional controller options.

EDIT:

From this thread CASIO PX-3 that seems to be the case. Mike Martin wrote:

The reality of the situation is that the Privia line is going to continue to grown and expand. Casio is listening to the market, this PX-3 represents many of the features that end users asked for after the release of the PX-330 and I'm really proud that Casio has reacted to the market so quickly.

The PX-3 at this point is planned to be a limited edition product. This means at this point that they are essentially doing single production run. The market will determine what happens next.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I guess it's only a gross omission if you normally put a volume pedal on your keyboards. I don't normally so it's no biggie to me.

Don't try to do this with cc7. Well, go ahead and try it with a MIDI controller (once!) and you'll see what I mean ;)

You will be much happier with an analog pedal with an audio taper, and there's plenty out there to choose from. I have a stereo Boss pedal around here somewhere that has in a pot on the side to set it's initial level - which is nice since I don't want it to shut the keyboard down completely like a lot of pedals do. But if I were serious about this I'd probably get something more substantial and with a longer throw like the Morleys.

My perspective is that it is hard to play organ without an expression pedal, or to adjust the patch during a solo etc. For me, I would enjoy the product more with one. But, it is not a huge deal to add an expression pedal externally. I have no idea what it would cost to put in that feature, but if it was less than $30, they should have done it, if it was over that then I understand you can't have everything for a low price. I bought one anyway . . .
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

My perspective is that it is hard to play organ without an expression pedal

The PX3 does have some surprisingly nice organ patches.

This might do the trick, though it's designed for a special purpose and has buttons that might not be useful, the

Peavey Sanpera I Vypyr Foot Controller

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVSANPERAI

Not at all clear whether it would work, but just might. It might work only if the unit you're sending to has mappable controls. If so, the buttons might be useful for stuff like Leslie control. It uses MIDI power, so the PX-3 would need to provide MIDI power or else you'd need to mod it to take a battery or wall wart.

Archived