Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XLR/Cable Question

Fusker

Looking to increase my cable collection, just curious, what philosophy does everyone take with cables? Ultra cheap and volume? Nothing but Monster? Somewhere in-between?

I am specifically looking at more XLR's to feed from my amp to the board/snake...but am also curious about the general outlook from my fellow esteemed forum users.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F**k Monster cables. I bought one from GC (not because of pushy salespeople, but I needed one "now" and that was the only one in stock that was the length I was looking for) and it was buzzy.

I've yet to have any mid-range normally-priced XLR cable be faulty.

So, "somewhere in between" I guess.

Stuff and things.

Not ultra-cheap - but definitely NOT Monster - best value is in the mid-range where the quality of wire and connectors is high enough to stand up to the abuse generated with use, but the price is not inflated way above the quality. Wire quality includes both the outer wrapping and insulation's resistance to damage from being stepped on, having things run over it, being coiled, etc. and the amount of copper in the wires.

If you really want good at a reasonable price, learn to solder and assemble your own with Belden or Canare cable and high-quality connectors such as Switchcraft. You can also make your own to any custom length that is needed.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Personally, I only buy cables that come with a lifetime guarantee (Monster Pro and Live Wire) quickly leap to mind, unless I make them myself (which is the cheapest and often best way to get cables).

Do they "sound" better that the other, less expensive brands. Not necessarily.

However, when they break (and they always break at some point), I take them back to where I bought them and they give me brand new replacements, no questions asked. Monster has started asking for RMA numbers to be issued, but my pro audio guy just replaces them for me and handles the paperwork.

It's worth the additional expense to only buy that cable ONCE.

YMMV.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I'm hooked on EWI Starline cables I get from audiopile.net EWI Starline Mic Cables Been using them for rental PA 4 years now with no problems, no noise, never got a bad one. They are imported by Audiopile. Audiopile.net is very efficient and I think it is a small family business becasue I always get the same person on the phone when I call with questions or orders. They have some cool DIs, splitters and adapters, too. The 10ft XLR snakes and TRS snakes I got are amazing: fully labeled, strain relief, color coded, covered, and cost about 40% less than Hosa (last time I checked).

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

how do people feel about Neutrik ends?

It can be a love-hate.

I don't know any pro sound guys that don't love them, while I know musicians that can't stand them.

Those that like to yank their cables out of jacks from across the stage generally don't like them, because of the locking mechanism. The locking aspect is one of the things I love about Neutriks!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

From just places I played I don't recall that many cable issues but I'm sure rented PA or daily stage use cables are hard to get right. Maybe guitarists are a good example: there's always something with cables that must be and good impedance, and flexible and coil easy and not permeable to spilled beer and easily and quickly self-fixable and strain resistant and ...

The only self-make cable parts I know I like is are thick silicon shield quality multi-strain and thread enforced cables and "Neutrix" plugs, but I didn't go very expensive above that and know my way around in the electronics stores.

I can't beat the prices of Conrad and Thomann for standard cable: the parts are more expensive seperately, and the nice mini-jack to 1/4" jack and XLR cables I had from those places work fine for years, but certainly mostly not in a dynamic environment.

I did have a Conrad very cheap headphone extension cable which broke down pretty soon, and could only be repaired by peeling off a load of vulcanized plastic with a knife. Maybe somebody will invent the cheap, flexible, ultra-thin, low weight, perfect impedance and isolation, military temerature in-flight servo connector cables also suitable for keyboards and mics, mass produce them and become the next cable monopoly somehow.

Ah, the global view ;)

From just places I played I don't recall that many cable issues but I'm sure rented PA or daily stage use cables are hard to get right. Maybe guitarists are a good example: there's always something with cables that must be and good impedance, and flexible and coil easy and not permeable to spilled beer and easily and quickly self-fixable and strain resistant and ...

The only self-make cable parts I know I like is are thick silicon shield quality multi-strain and thread enforced cables and "Neutrix" plugs, but I didn't go very expensive above that and know my way around in the electronics stores.

I can't beat the prices of Conrad and Thomann for standard cable: the parts are more expensive seperately, and the nice mini-jack to 1/4" jack and XLR cables I had from those places work fine for years, but certainly mostly not in a dynamic environment.

I did have a Conrad very cheap headphone extension cable which broke down pretty soon, and could only be repaired by peeling off a load of vulcanized plastic with a knife. Maybe somebody will invent the cheap, flexible, ultra-thin, low weight, perfect impedance and isolation, military temerature in-flight servo connector cables also suitable for keyboards and mics, mass produce them and become the next cable monopoly somehow.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Maybe somebody will invent the cheap, flexible, ultra-thin, low weight, perfect impedance and isolation, military temerature in-flight servo connector cables also suitable for keyboards and mics, mass produce them and become the next cable monopoly somehow.

And only $0.25US per foot or less, capable of withstanding being rolled over by amp racks without sustaining damage, and flat!

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

I don't care about lifetime replacement guarantees from M&^%t#r.

I build my own with belden and switchcraft. I haven't had a cable fail on me in 20 years. Connectors may oxidize sometimes though.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Whenever the name - M&^%t#r - comes up, I feel it's my duty to offer up this link so that those new to this forum can understand the reasons many of us feel the way we do about this particular brand: KLONK.

Blue Jeans Cable Strikes Back - Response to Monster Cable

Thank you.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Whenever the name - M&^%t#r - comes up, I feel it's my duty to offer up this link so that those new to this forum can understand the reasons many of us feel the way we do about this particular brand: KLONK.

Thank you.

Tom

I wasn't advocating any particular brand of cable (Godzilla, Frankenstein, whatever) per se, but was rather advocating the lifetime guarantee aspect of the product.

I have had cables break under "normal" use conditions, and it's nice to return it and get a brand new one in exchange.

For those of us that only want to pay for a cable once, it makes selecting those products or companies that offer that particular enticement, worthwhile.

If its not you're thing, so be it.

While I read Tom's post and link for the historical significance, if the company in question was the ONLY company making the lifetime warranty available, I'd still purchase from them. SInce there ARE others available, I'd certainly consider another vendor over one that likes to take such liberty's with thuggish litigation.

Sadly, anyone here who bought a Windows machine or even a Macintosh is also supporting companies that have tried legal intimidation on its smaller competition. Lot's of "Davey vs Goliath" examples out there.

Thank you, Mr. ITGITC. I most thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

Cheers,

Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

how do people feel about Neutrik ends?
i use neutrik plugs in all of my rig, and i never, never had a problem or glitch with them, personally i think there the best money can buy at any price point, there tough and reusable, id recomend them a 100%, about the cable, if you can get mogami do it, those 2 make a great combination, You'll only buy/make that cable once. (unless you lose it)

One thing about Neutrik:

A buddy of mine used to manufacture custom color coded patch cords for modular synths, using a real nice Rapco braided shield cable and Neutrik ends.

The particular standard for jacks for our modulars (MOTM) was Switchcraft.

We found that the Neutrik plugs mate with the Switchcraft jacks a little loosely. We confirmed that the barrel of those plugs is slightly smaller in diameter than Switchcraft plugs. Connection between the two was generally good, but occasionally fiddly.

Just an FYI.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

I have had cables break under "normal" use conditions, and it's nice to return it and get a brand new one in exchange.

For those of us that only want to pay for a cable once, it ...

I forgot to mention about the Neutrik parts that for electronics norms they are of course quite expensive compared to "hobby" materials, so I'd imagine going with a cable with guarantee can make sense. I too cannot imagine that cables which are used in bands on stage or in heavy use studios, or, lets say, most things outside a quiet homestudio will last forever, and even a 2 Neutrix + piece of a few meter quality shielded wire cable costs a few ten-ers which adds up to much more if you need to replace a big patch bay or something. 20 free cables replacements saves you a new ROM cartridge or whatever.

Theo

Thank you.

Tom

Thanks for posting this. What a great read. I've followed their bullying tactics for years and have been generally disgusted with them.

FWIW, the only cables I've ever had crap out on me were monster cables (both RCA and 1/4" - the XLR has held up).

Archived