Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neil Young's Mr. Soul - You play it?

Ross Brown

Did you ever play it? or the Rush version? How does it go over? Just wondering if anyone has experience with this song. We are considering it. I have not heard anyone else do it around here.... might be a reason for that hahahaha...
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My band does not play Mr. Soul, but we do spend an awful lot of time talking about song selection and we pride ourselves on picking tunes that are off the beaten track, even if they might be by well-known artists.

A typical filter for us on song selection is whether the tune in question is sufficiently danceable. For bar gigs, we like to have all up-tempo danceable stuff. If we're playing more of a "concert" (ie, a non-bar setting, or an acoustic set), we like to broaden into slower stuff or odd-tempo things. (Example: Linda Ronstadt's Heat Wave gets played in bars; Blue Bayou gets played in concerts.)

To me, Mr. Soul would fall into the latter category, though I'm not familiar with the Rush version--maybe that's more uptempo.

Give a shot--what do you have to lose?

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

unless you are my wife, she can dance to anything...

One of our guitarists kind of has a wife like that: she dances to everything. Whether that's a good thing or not, is a whole other debate, though :grin:

I say put it on the set list and see what happens. Worst case scenario, your learned a song that gets canned immediately.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived