Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I saw Chickenfoot on the tube last evening,

desertbluesman

I saw Chickenfoot on the tube last evening, Joe Satriani, Michael Anthony (Famed for playing bass for Van Halen) Sammy Hagar, (Also a Van Halen Alumni)and a drummer named Chad Smith. All astounding musicians, the musical display was awesome. However after watching the band for an hour all I can say about their sound is; Without soul......

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They rock, for sure, but somehow don't grab me as much as I'd expect or hope; iddunno exactly why. I think that if I had their album on disc

I saw a funny interview clip with them, the whole band, where they mused that they should do a double-header tour with Steve Vai and David Lee Roth fronting an imaginary/proposed other band, said tour billed as "Chickenfoot and Cockhead"...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, I am a big admirer of Satriani, of Anthony, and of Sammy, No question about it, all excellent musicians, it was just the mix of what they do. Satch is an amazingly melodic player, so is Sammy, and Sammy puts on a great show in his solo act band. So does Satch. But the mix of what they do, the tones they used were all so..... I don't know what to say about it except to say I would not pay to see them, I would not even go if the tickets were free. Although I would go to see Sammy's band, Or Satch's band easily.

Ya from what I`ve seen so far, the elements of what they bring as individuals clash more than complement. I think it`s the come-hither baby themes and the hi-tec riffs than seem out of context with each other-at least that`s my take.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

They might have been huge in 1988. I checked out the CD from the library last month and couldn't listen to a song all the way through.

Very cliche 80s cock rock. The lyrics were laughably vapid and sounded really stupid coming from a 60+ year old singer (who can still sing very well BTW).

Great musicianship but it didn't really rock that hard. Totally fell flat IMHO. For that kind of music to work there really needs to be some "swagger" behind it.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I've been reading about this band for awhile now but hadn't actually sat down to listen till just now. I just listened to "Oh Yeah" and my initial impression is that Joe Satriani fit in really well in band situation. Everything I had heard from him before was more of his solo act. I didn't know how his style would blend with other creative musicians but I think it worked out quite well.

As far as being original, I don't know if that is even the point of this band. It does sound very much to me like a Sammy Hagar record. I am not a Hagar fan, but he does seem have a brand. He has made a career with his singing and aligning himself with some very good guitar players. Somehow it always comes out sounding like Sammy. That is a pretty strong musical personality whether you like it or not. Either way we get to hear some good guitar playing.

When I originally reviewed it, I basically said that it was like Sammy-era Van Valen with a different guitar virtuoso. Taken that way, I didn't have a problem with that.

And, FWIW, when they played here in D/FW, they did let Sammy play (forgot he could?) on a couple pieces, including a lap steel piece.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I've always felt that sometimes you have to make a real effort to "like" an artist, band, or song. I've listened and tried hard to enjoy Buddy Guy, but it aint happening. There are a few others I can't dig, and I've gotten flack from friends and bandmates for it. My point is, I've learned not to "over-analize" the music. If after a few listens it doesn't grab me, then I just move on. The mere fact that we're even talking about Chickenfoot is proof that lots of people are diggin' 'em. Let's just let those guys do what they do.
Jimi made me do it!

DBM & Bobsessed, I wonder if you would feel the same way about Chickenfoot & Buddy Guy if you saw them in person. I've heard artists I didn't much care for until after I saw them perform in front of me. Maybe it's about the spectacle, or getting caught up in the crowd experience, but I think there is something about a live performance that even a video of the same performance doesn't catch. I do know a lady who didn't much care for the blues till somebody took her to a Buddy Guy concert. Buddy made a believer out of her.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

It should have blown me away with all that talent. Of course the style of music they were playing is not my cup~o~tea anyways. It sounded more like metal than rock. The melodies were actually absent in favor of metal style licks. The fact that Satriani was playing them in such a manner was a complete surprise to me, an unwelcome surprise. Now the mix was not all that good as it was a live TV show and whomever was mixing the music was not great at it. So even though I would not buy the recordings, they may be better done than the mix on the live show.

DBM & Bobsessed, I wonder if you would feel the same way about Chickenfoot & Buddy Guy if you saw them in person.

Good point, but from the musical style they were playing it won't ever happen.

However I once saw Michael MacDonald's band live. When I was asked whether I wanted to go, my answer was; I would rather eat elephant dung than go to a Michael MacDonald concert. However the wifey talked me into it (The tickets were complimentary) and when the band started playing I became a big admirer of their musicianship, and Michael MacDonald is actually not only just a singer but a great keys player, his licks and changes were musically excellent. So I walked away from that concert very impressed with the musical acumen I had just witnessed. I ain't buying any of Michael MacDonald's recordings but I sure respect his and the bands musical abilities.

To me Joe Satch seems out of place. The other members represent "party 'til you puke" (in my mind) and Joe represents excellence in musicianship. And I'm not saying that Joe doesn't party or the others don't know how to play (not by a long shot)... but IDK. Everytime someone mentions this band, it never seems right to me. Seems mis-matched or something I can't adequately describe.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Seems like some music execs got together and tried to come up with an unlikely lineup that would sell CDs. I don't think they sounded bad at all, but not quite the right mix of musicians.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Michael MacDonald

Funny thing- my Mom saw him just the other night, and was surprised to find out how much of his stuff she knew.

As for Chickenfoot's composition, I had heard it was more or less organic: no record exec manipulation.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

To me Joe Satch seems out of place. The other members represent "party 'til you puke" (in my mind) and Joe represents excellence in musicianship. And I'm not saying that Joe doesn't party or the others don't know how to play (not by a long shot)... but IDK. Everytime someone mentions this band, it never seems right to me. Seems mis-matched or something I can't adequately describe.

I think what you're going for here, and the impression that I get, is that Satch is like a mature musician while the rest of the band seem like frat boys. What I mean by that is, I can see Satch staying up late in his hotel room working on his music and tweaking his riffs, while the rest of the band is out partying.

I think what you're going for here, and the impression that I get, is that Satch is like a mature musician while the rest of the band seem like frat boys. What I mean by that is, I can see Satch staying up late in his hotel room working on his music and tweaking his riffs, while the rest of the band is out partying.

Not me. As far as I can tell they were all excellent musicians, but there was no real melodic stuff going on, at least not what I would call melodies there was just metal style riffs, and some "strange modal" solos. Everyone played very well. It was just something about the mix that bugged me. I was looking for those Satriani melodies and riffs I guess, and they did not deliver that at all.

One of the things that has always bugged me about the whole guitar god concept, is that once you establish yourself there, it is hard for the public to accept anything less. Sometimes you would think these guys would just want to play a simple rock riff and have some fun, but we won't let them.

Before last year's tour, Satch gave an interview that kind of hinted at that. He talked about how different Chickenfoot's blend was so different from anything he'd ever done before. He did seem to relish the challenge, though.

Before last year's tour, Satch gave an interview that kind of hinted at that. He talked about how different Chickenfoot's blend was so different from anything he'd ever done before. He did seem to relish the challenge, though.

Chickenfoot. Blend. Relish. Now I'm hungry.

Archived