Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Hollow sounding audio on digital TV shows

Synthoid

My wife and I have noticed this often lately--a hollow or almost metallic "flanged" effect with audio on digital TV.

It shows up with everything from audience noise during football games to applause (and background noises) with regular programs. We noticed it recently when on vacation... we were going through the channels and watched a few minutes of Frasier. The actor's dialog sounded fine, but the laughter and applause had a particularly hollow sound to it--way different than how it sounds on our DVD's at home.

Just curious what the cause is...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing it would be data compression, similar to a bad MP3 audio recording.

This is done by the cable company to cram as many channels onto the available bandwidth space as possible.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

What's your audio setup with the TV? Just the TV speakers? A home theater system?

Digital TV offers surround sound signals, so it's possible that your TV is reproducing the center channel only, and the applause and other sounds would normally come from the Front R/L and Rear R/L speakers. Check to make sure your TV audio configuration matches what you're actually listening through.

Is your signal going into an A/V receiver first, then into the TV (i.e. via HDMI)? It could be your receiver that's causing things to sound like they are.

In other words, like questions asked about keyboard/P.A. systems, without more details, it's impossible to tell. More info = better answer. :thu:

What's your audio setup with the TV? Just the TV speakers?

Yes, that's correct... TV speakers only. The "hollow" sound doesn't occur often though, just once in awhile. By the way, when my wife and I were at Ocean City last week, the condo had an HDTV only, no fancy audio system. The only difference was the signal was from cable.

Digital TV offers surround sound signals, so it's possible that your TV is reproducing the center channel only, and the applause and other sounds would normally come from the Front R/L and Rear R/L speakers. Check to make sure your TV audio configuration matches what you're actually listening through.

I'll check that, thanks.

Is your signal going into an A/V receiver first, then into the TV (i.e. via HDMI)? It could be your receiver that's causing things to sound like they are.

Here at home we have OTA (over the air) signal to the HDTV. No signal amplifier, no conversion box, just straight from the antenna to the TV. Cheap, but it works fine and looks great.

:)

What's your audio setup with the TV? Just the TV speakers? A home theater system?

this sounds about right.

And yes--a Neo Vent will solve everything. Theo will prove it. ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

It is likely too many passes through data compression or a multichannel feed being downmixed to stereo without proper time alignment.

Exactly. :idea:

I guessed that earlier.

I was going to explain it more thoroughly... just like that.

You beat me to it, Mr. TinderArts. ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

There are many places where data gets compressed, not just the cable company. Show feed routinely are compressed during recording/editing/exporting, when copy protection devices are used, on the way up to the bird, on the way back down, when stored for playback and upon playback. That can do really messed up things to the picture and audio.

Cable TV company is the blame here, too much compression, I threw out Time Warner because of this!

Not in this case. Synthoid says he heard it on vacation, but also has heard it prior. I assume that was at his home.

Here at home we have OTA (over the air) signal to the HDTV. No signal amplifier, no conversion box, just straight from the antenna to the TV. Cheap, but it works fine and looks great.

:)

Cable TV company is the blame here, too much compression, I threw out Time Warner because of this!

Not in this case. Synthoid says he heard it on vacation, but also has heard it prior. I assume that was at his home.

Both places... yes.

:thu:

There's also nothing like watching a so-called HD Movie on HBO or Cinemax and you can see the compression artifacts (usually as pixallated blocks) in the shadow areas ...

Can you *really* call it HD if it's compressed that heavily?

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

I think Sven is really close. I notice this effect when my TV somehow gets switched over to simulated surround mode with internal speakers. It is most noticeable for me with laughter, applause or rain. That is when I reach for the controller and turn the effect off.
This post edited for speling.

Archived