Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kinda OT: Off-Pitch Recordings

ITGITC

I was just thinking about this issue today. On top of everything else, it seems like a good way to give a song a slightly different feel. I recently transcribed and arranged this recording:

[video:youtube]3Q29UMpP4vg

And I think the pitch affected my feeling about the song before I knew that it wasn't at 440.

It occurred to me that it might be a very effective device to make a song stand out... say in an album that was otherwise at 440.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It occurred to me that it might be a very effective device to make a song stand out... say in an album that was otherwise at 440.

If nothing else, it's a good way to piss off your friends with perfect pitch. ;)

:thu:

I remember my first encounter with this waaaaay back in the 80's. I forget which song I was trying to learn. Something always seemed off. Then I finally figured out it was an odd tuning like 439 or something. Just enough to make every note a "tweener" such as "D" was actually something between "D" and "C#"

Drove me nuts trying to play along to the record.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Funny timing on this thread. I pulled out my original vinyl pressing of ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery" to play along with "Karn Evil 9 - First Impression Pt. 1" and noticed that it is "pitched up" almost a quarter step. Didn't check the rest of the album but I would assume it was either for effect or for sake of time.
Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Speaking of off pitch recording. Shatner has a great album coming out.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

+1 I'm not 100% sure but i think The Doors remasters are off-pitch, the debut that is or is it just light my fire? haven't listened in a while. :confused:

I think it's just Light My Fire. It seems to be about 50 cents down to me. For example, Manzarek has commented that the lead break changes were Am - Bm.

I saw one of those "recorded version" books from Hal Leonard that had the song transcribed a half step lower, but it seems to my ears to be between the two.

Unless of course, my DP's out of tune as well. ;) But I've never had to retune to play along with any of their other material.

-Mike

Archived