Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking to purchase new Keyboard

delion

Hi all,

I am currently looking to purchase a new keyboard for about $200.00. Don't wanna shell out more than this. One of those that I have my eyes is the Yamaha PSR-E413 .

Also looking at the Casio WK-200.

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light if they have any experience with these or any advice as to which is better. I have played before, but it was mostly at church on a WK-200. I like the feel of it but currently looking for something a little better and found the PSR series by Yamaha.

Anywho, pointers anyone?

btw, will mostly be using it for practice and occasionally playing at church.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PSR-E413 is discontinued, the PSR-E423 is current.

Frankly, either one is fine, given that neither one is especially worth talking about. :snax:;)

Why cant you just be nice FOR ONCE! :wave:

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Frankly, either one is fine, given that neither one is especially worth talking about. :snax:;)

who, golly? come on...

:)

The way I see it, SG presents two vital pieces of information here:

1. PSR-E413 is discontinued, the PSR-E423 is current.

That's valid. Right?

2. Frankly, either one is fine, given that neither one is especially worth talking about.

At first blush one might think this is harsh. However, it takes a true friend to tell you bad news. Anybody can slap your back and say, "Go for it... you'll LOVE it!" I think it only fair that SG tells it like it is. Basically, his messages is, "Save up. Look around. You may find something that's a better fit.".

Look at all the cheap Yamaha and Casio keyboards that appear on Craigslist every day. This tells me that either Mom & Dad bought the keyboard for their youngster to learn, yet the kid didn't show much interest so they're selling it. Or, it could be that the keyboard was purchased, used regularly, and now it's time to move up.

In any case, as a public service announcement, SG is telling the OP that there is a good chance investigating the realm of keyboards in the category just one or two steps higher on the rung wouldn't be a bad idea.

In the current economy, there are lots of used instruments on the market. It wouldn't take much to find, and purchase, a nicer instrument that happens to be pre-owned.

Sven Golly - blunt? :facepalm:Of course - that's why we keep him on the payroll. But in this case I think he's doing the OP a favor by helping him look at all the angles before he spends his hard-earned cash.

Or... he could just be a jerk. :laugh:

Hi Sven. :wave::taz:

ITGITC? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Don't be so tough with Sven, he wroted " ;) " at the end of his sentence!

Personally I prefer the information given to me as a whiplash ("Sven-style") in most occasions, rather than people just playing around, and I'm sure Sven doesn't meant to be rude, it's just his way to explain things the most accurate and less time-consuming way.

OTOH Sven, if the OP want a small "crappy" keyboard, it's ok, everybody has their own tastes and needs, I guess. Maybe he/she's just learning or just love to play with the auto-accompaniment stuff, who knows?

Not everybody playing keys need a 3500$ board ;)

So, summing it up, hi to all and be cool, fellows! :wave:

The way I see it, SG presents two vital pieces of information here:

1. PSR-E413 is discontinued, the PSR-E423 is current.

That's valid. Right?

2. Frankly, either one is fine, given that neither one is especially worth talking about.

At first blush one might think this is harsh. However, it takes a true friend to tell you bad news. Anybody can slap your back and say, "Go for it... you'll LOVE it!" I think it only fair that SG tells it like it is. Basically, his messages is, "Save up. Look around. You may find something that's a better fit.".

Look at all the cheap Yamaha and Casio keyboards that appear on Craigslist every day. This tells me that either Mom & Dad bought the keyboard for their youngster to learn, yet the kid didn't show much interest so they're selling it. Or, it could be that the keyboard was purchased, used regularly, and now it's time to move up.

In any case, as a public service announcement, SG is telling the OP that there is a good chance investigating the realm of keyboards in the category just one or two steps higher on the rung wouldn't be a bad idea.

In the current economy, there are lots of used instruments on the market. It wouldn't take much to find, and purchase, a nicer instrument that happens to be pre-owned.

Sven Golly - blunt? :facepalm:Of course - that's why we keep him on the payroll. But in this case I think he's doing the OP a favor by helping him look at all the angles before he spends his hard-earned cash.

Or... he could just be a jerk. :laugh:

Hi Sven. :wave::taz:

ITGITC? :cool:

Geez, I cant tell where ITGITC's head ends and Sven's ass starts :laugh:

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

For $150 I might get one of these for rehearsals. Weighs less than 10 pounds. Carry it under my arm and plug it into the board.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The Casio WK-200 is discontinued; the current model is the WK-225.

Tom's suggestion to go a step or two higher makes sense, depending on if the OP is able to stretch beyond a $200 budget. There are some good deals to be had on the used market: Casio (WK-500 comes to mind), Yamaha (a few slightly older PSR's that sound quite good), and Roland as well (the EXR 5/EXR 7 are great sounding options, though would likely be a second step higher price-wise.)

A one step higher Casio I'd consider in this case is the WK-6500 (I googled it, and found a used one at Musician's Friend for $255. New ones appear to have an average street price a little below $300). From having played one, I believe it may be more of a 'keeper' - for the OP's application - than some of the cheaper instruments that Tom referred to as being found on CL daily. The WK-6500 has 76 keys, which does help when playing piano pieces. The equivalent 61 key instrument is the CTK-6000.

In the interest of fair disclosure: I do contracted work for a rep firm that sells Casio. However live, and in my home workspace I use Yamaha, Roland, Casio, and Korg instruments. Delion, my suggestion would be to take a little more time and check out a few different options - new and used - before deciding between the WK-225 and PSR-E423.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

It is good to have less expensive alternatives. Back when most of us started there weren't any. My first board was a Farfisa Compact. In terms of inflation adjust dollars I probably paid more for that combo organ than the cost of a Kronos 88.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Geez, I cant tell where ITGITC's head ends and Sven's ass starts :laugh:

:laugh::taz:

Just trying to keep the peace, Brother Mogut.

How 'bout a beer? In fact, I'll let you pick up the first 3 rounds to make up for that snide remark. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It's no different than asking for an opinion on what is the best $500 used car to buy out there from a group of race car drivers.

There may be some here that have experience with the entry level "band in a box" Best Buy keyboards, but that is not where the knowledge trust of this forum lives.

You got reasonable advice from Sven, and he's right. There ISN'T much to talk about for a keyboard in the $200 top end price range on a NEW keyboard. At that price and feature point, one is going to be pretty much as good as the other.

Welcome to the forum, Delion.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Given some of your later comments, Pot -> Kettle, leaps to mind.

:wave:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Given some of your later comments, Pot -> Kettle, leaps to mind.

:wave:

Sven's lawyer? :grin:

I think Sven's an extremely valuable asset to this community. He seems to be a perfectionist :D , but that's alright, as at least he does his homework. I can also see why he can get a bit uptight with folks, who seem to have done little or no research on their future purchase. I for one, make sure to use Svengle first, before I post a gear question here :idea: , but I'm sure there are reviews out there for the keys this chap is keen about :thu: . BTW I passed up a Minimoog for my SK-20 when I was young :rolleyes:.

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

There ISN'T much to talk about for a keyboard in the $200 top end price range on a NEW keyboard.

wrong, you can talk as much about it as about 2000$ keyboard.

It's no different than asking for an opinion on what is the best $500 used car to buy out there from a group of race car drivers.

exactly :thu: believe me those guys would talk for hours to help you tune your 500$ car for amateur racing. Why? because they're nice guys...they remember how they started.

There ISN'T much to talk about for a keyboard in the $200 top end price range on a NEW keyboard.

wrong, you can talk as much about it as about 2000$ keyboard.

I have yet to see you do so... care to lead by example, instead of just playing the "righteous indignation" card? :rolleyes:

exactly :thu: believe me those guys would talk for hours to help you tune your 500$ car for amateur racing. Why? because they're nice guys...they remember how they started.

Maybe you'd be more comfortable hanging out with those "nice guys" (who, believe me, only exist in your mind)? Here, let me get the door for you. :wave:

Archived