Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

numa organ quetion

agitato

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup...

there was some bugs in the numa genesis.

The first one that comes to mind was a fast drop in the tonewheel sound (pitch) when certain chords were played.

There was some other error that one user mentioned about the leslie wheel. He wrote that when you turn the leslie wheel to the right the leslie went from fast to slow, and vice-versa (which is the opposite of what we expect from watching the numa videos).

But, this last 'error' might be some actual option on the Numa... I never read the manual to make sure though.

Has the numa organ since its been on the market, had any glitches/crashes or "bug" issues, like the sk1?

I have a friend (who is also an infrequent forum poster) who had the Numa and took it back; if memory serves, it locked up on him more than once at a gig, requiring a power off/on to resolve. He didn't have much confidence in the unit from that point forward. Loved the sound, didn't love the crash so much. ;)

Yes.... really. Loading the organ models is a BITCH.I even called American Sound for some help with this and no one around there seemed to know what I was talking about.

I personally have not had any issues with the Numa crashing or anything. It seems like it is structurally very sound. I also like the fact that it has a 2 year labor warantee as opposed to a competitor that offers 90 days.

I just got done running my Numa through a bi amped leslie configuration.... basically I am using a Hafler power amp and an older Heathkit tube electronic crossover to bi amp the upper and lower drivers. The cabinet is a Leslie 900.

With this setup, the Numa sounds like it should. The chorus vibrato, percussion and everything else just sound right. I am also able to get some nice overdrive with this.

Once again, the Numa wants a good amplification source. It wasn't really hard to dial this in. The Numa percussion responds well to the Jensen horn driver, as it should. The percussion volume is right.

I am noticing a difference in the percussion when I use other high frequency drivers, as I have posted about before. I would think that this would be similar with other clones as well, but I don't have anything else around here to try right now.

Anyway , I am very happy with this practice room setup. It's giving me everything I need sound wise.

No ... I just got this dialed in today.

I am terribly non technical. I know I should put out some recordings just to back up what I am talking about, but I don't really have any recording gear to speak of. The digital age has sort of left me in the dust in that regard.

But basically this Numa and bi amped leslie 900 sounds VERY much like my '62 B-3 and leslie 122. Which is nice to be getting from a 22 lb. board.

I got inspired to bi amp this leslie after hearing Chester Thompson play a B-3 through one of Bob Scleicher's bay area bi amped speacials. It's really the way to go... at least I have this in my house. The Numa has plenty of beef when you do this.

The different organ models are beyond my ability to download. Studiologic sent instructions in broken english on how to supposedly load them into the organ.

I had a computer tech over here to try to help me do it and even he couldn't get it. It had to do with what they were calling different commands.

So I just have to be content with the fact that Studiologic had enough sense to put out the the Key B engines in this lightweight package.

The board hasn't given me any problems. I think it is super easy to use, and I actually like the placement of the controls. The percussion switches are very easy to get to.

You need to have the Numa Updater software downloaded onto your PC (I don't know of a Mac version). This can be found in the files section of the Clonewheel group along with the updated Numa operating system. This folder also contains the stock C3 leakage and level files.

What you are swapping out are the leakage (.tlk) and level (.tlv) files for each modeled tonewheel set. These alternate sets can be found on the KeyB Organ support page here:

http://www.keyborgan.com/support/

On the KeyB site, there are leakage and level files for a B3, C3 (probably the same as in the Numa), an A100 and an RT3. Download these and put them where you can easily find them. I placed all the leakage files together and all the level files together.

Hook up your Numa to your PC via the mini-USB (assuming you have downloaded the USB driver software). When your computer sees it, open the Studiologic Numa Updater software. On this GUI screen will be four buttons - System, Sound Engine, Levels and Leakage. Click on the "Levels" button. The Windows File Manager will open up and ask you to find a .tlv file. Navigate to wherever you stored the levels files and select one of them. If you have the Numa hooked up to speakers, you will hear a slight hum and the blue progress bar on the Numa Loader GUI will show the progress. You will then get an upload complete message. It will instruct you to restart your Numa but you don't have to do that yet.

Click on the "Leakage" button and repeat the process. When that is complete, restart the Numa and you should be good to go. (Every time you want to switch out a set, you have to restart the program.)

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers

I went to the Key B site.... it looks a little different than the last time I was there.

I wonder if the Key B loader is the same a the Numa loader. We will see.

I also wonder what the "levels" feature does in the scheme of things. I have always wished for a percussion volume adjustment, and am just wondering if this would refer to that.

By the way I was at Guitar Center today and played the Numa through a powered speaker called a Harbinger, which I believe is a GC brand. The salesman tried to direct me to the Roland Keyboard Amp but I said no thanks.... I am looking for something to use in stereo.

The Numa sounded good through the 15 inch 2 way powered Harbingers. There was a distinct lack of shrillness in these speakers and once again the overdrive sounded good through speakers where the high frequency driver is not too prominent.

Also... the bass sounded good through the Harbingers. I cranked the pedal bass and it handled it pretty well. The overall tonality was good, particularly with the long decay third percussion.... my acid test when demoing speakers.

I was attracted to the Harbingers because they have a 5 band EQ ( rare among powered speakers BTW ), but it wasn't necessary to use it. The Numa sounded good running flat.

A stereo pair of these sounded pretty darn good. The power level in the pair also seemed adequate. I like the 15 's for organ quite a bit. They sounded fat like a leslie does.

I was very curious if a digital piano would fare as well, but there wasn't time. But they passed the test with the Numa. They actually sounded warm and nice, and the percussion volume was very right. The leslie sim sounds outrageous through these... you can really sense a wide stereo image.

Has the numa organ since its been on the market, had any glitches/crashes or "bug" issues, like the sk1?

I have a friend (who is also an infrequent forum poster) who had the Numa and took it back; if memory serves, it locked up on him more than once at a gig, requiring a power off/on to resolve. He didn't have much confidence in the unit from that point forward. Loved the sound, didn't love the crash so much. ;)

I am the friend that Sven is talking about.. I loved the NUMA, and thought it was a GREAT package, best C/V, best Percussion AND best built in leslie sim of the new crop of clones. I did return it however because it did lock up several times on me, and twice during two subsequent gigs. As such I lost confidence in it.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Sorry to hear about that Craig. I was close to returning mine because of the pitch warble issue but Elvio came through and connected me with Fatar Italy. I got mine updated and fixed.

It is a great sounding and inspiring instrument.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Oh, and I retried my Vent with the Numa and again the Numa's tone sounds fuller to these ears without the Vent. Surprisingly, the Vent sorta muffled the sound compared to the straight Numa sound.

aL

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for the pitch warble/drop, I don't think that's an example of it. I may be wrong though. I listened to the whole demo, and in a demo of this length it would have happened many more times had this unit suffered from the pitch warble problem.

My Numa had that problem and you couldn't miss it. It was most obvious on sustained notes... There are a few passages of sustained notes/chords in this demo, but I didn't detect a pitch drop.

This unit either didn't suffer from that pitch drop issue or it had a mild case of it.

aL

• 3 months later...

I am going to be at NAMM tomorrow and I am going to track down the Numa people and try to find out why there hasn't been much help loading the organ models.

As far as the lock up thing mine hasn't had that issue but I will mention that people have had it and I will try to get some word about what can be done about it.

If I see Joey D. I will try to mention some of these issues to him.... perhaps that might get someone's attention.

• 4 months later...

I have had a Numa for about a year and a half now and have had no issues. From what I have heard, it's best to get a later edition of it (the 2012 issue, serial numbers past 250 or so) which have just been shipped into the U.S.

The Key B sim is still my favorite that I have heard on an actual board. Ditto the chorus vibrato. The sim is the least affected or colored of any sim I have heard - it is very natural sounding and the stereo image has to be experienced to be appreciated.

The Key B sim does not strive to sound like a miked leslie, which I really like.

It would still be my preference in a single manual clone.

Archived