Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Lost a friend

Aidan

This morning, I heard that the regular 'dep' drummer for my band was killed in a motorbike accident on Thursday. Paul Murfin was one of the kindest, friendliest and most talented percussionists it's ever been my pleasure to play with. I'm in shock.

Be thankful for every day, friends. Cheers.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Aidan. Sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a genuine and decent lad who had a real zest for life.

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

Sorry to read that, Aidan. Be grateful for the good times you had with him.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sorry to hear that. I've been through this -our bassist first, and then our drummer, years ago- and it's painful. Try to keep in mind the good moments you shared together.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Thanks for all your thoughts, guys. Strangely enough, my strongest memory of Paul is not a musical one, wonderful player as he was.

Shortly before our last general election here, we were playing a wedding - a pretty rough one - and were on a break. An obviously tanked-up guy came up to us and began to engage us in a political conversation, the gist being that a) all immigrants are bastards; b) he was going to vote for the ultra right-wing British National Party and c) he was demanding how we were going to vote and why.

The guy was very drunk and very aggressive and I was thinking: "This is where it all kicks off." But Paul gently engaged the guy in debate and talked through the issues with him. Finally, the bloke said: "Well, if the BNP don't get in, I'm getting out of this country." Paul replied, all innocence: "But that would make you an immigrant, wouldn't it?" The guy slunk away, baffled.

It was such a charming, reasoned and rational response and so typically Paul. He was exactly the sort of person you want to spend a night gigging with.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

So sorry for your loss, Aiden. The musicians I am close to are like family to me, so I sympathize with your loss. He sounds like a great player and a great person.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived