Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord C1 --> Leslie 45 goodness

dazzjazz

Hi all,

I play with a great guitarist here in Sydney, Jeremy Sawkins.

We recorded at the ABC Studios back in April and we finally got the mix done. Seeing as there's so much discussion here about clonewheel sound and I've mentioned my rig a few times, I thought I'd back up what I've written with an audio example.

So the first sound file at the top of This Page is one of Jeremy's tunes "Shiftin'" and features me on the Nord C1 through my Leslie 45 - a single speed 1961 Leslie that I love!

Tone-wise I've gone for a modern sound, inspired by Larry Goldings.

Cheers

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all,

I play with a great guitarist here in Sydney, Jeremy Sawkins.

We recorded at the ABC Studios back in April and we finally got the mix done. Seeing as there's so much discussion here about clonewheel sound and I've mentioned my rig a few times, I thought I'd back up what I've written with an audio example.

So the first sound file at the top of This Page is one of Jeremy's tunes "Shiftin'" and features me on the Nord C1 through my Leslie 45 - a single speed 1961 Leslie that I love!

Tone-wise I've gone for a modern sound, inspired by Larry Goldings.

Cheers

Darren

Noon, just up, 1st coffee, listening to your music and there´s a smile on my face.

You make my day, great music, great players !

And I´m surprised it´s Nord C1 !

thx for posting

A.C.

Ooh - Leslie 45 - gonna be working on mine tonight, testing out the Model 47 amp I got for it. What do you use to connect to yours?

Oh yeah, the track sounds great!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

another proving example that the leslie is more key than the hammond. A shitty hammond clone through a leslie/good leslie sim is a better sounding combination than a good hammond clone through a shitty leslie simulation.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

A shitty hammond clone through a leslie/good leslie

Ouch!... Some people may not like what you just wrote.

Hopefuly, they won't connect the dots. :-/

Well, for my next album I'll just plug an iPhone running the PocketOrgan C3B3 app with a 122.

U$ 2.99... that's a good price for a 'clonewheel' eh?

:)

But really Darren, it sounds incredible!

The recording is really great...

C1 + leslie nailed it!

I was also impressed with a recording you made with the C1 + motionsound145 at the Kinetic Festival.

Also good music...

Interesting. Dazz - sounds great, man.

I have a 44W which is also single speed. I have it rigged with a rheostat (?) so I can control the speed. It's not ideal but I'm getting used to it. I have stop too. Studio purposes only, well usually.

Joe, if you're interested PM me and I can show you how to do it - it's independent of the Leslie cord and kit, BTW.

Regards,

Joe

I was also impressed with a recording you made with the C1 + motionsound145 at the Kinetic Festival.

Also good music...

The link to that set is here sorry I don't have time to cut it into separate tracks.

I think the Motion Sound Pro 145 sounds amazing!

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about real Leslies, I just tried a 2101 the other day.

Yeah, it is small, cannot handle really loud bass, but I really liked it.

I was thinking about buying a Ventilator, but after listening to it I think I'll go with the 2101.

Something I noticed was that the leslie made the keyclick sound better.

I tried to make some recording, but it turned out pretty lame, sorry. :-/

PS: I really like that Poledancer tune of yours Darren.

I think the tone is good here. I haven't spent a heck of a lot of time with a Nord C1 but the tone comes off with a lot of authenticity. It might have something to do with who is playing it.....

I have had a very nice model 45 on the Garage Sale for quite a while.... another testimony to how nice the more vintage leslies really do sound. I bet they are hard to come by in Australia!

Very hard! I have to watch my back as others want it BAD!

Sorry but I had to take the audio down - the record company got a little upset...

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Also good music...

The link to that set is here sorry I don't have time to cut it into separate tracks.

WOW - That was a Nord C1 + MS 145? SOUNDED AMAZING INDEED!

With all the SK praise of late and Nord bashing, I was starting to think my Nord C1 + MS145/HS3300 was maybe missing something but no more. You nailed it!

Did you use the hot output directly into the MS? Or do you have a speakeasy/other pre-amp in the chain as well?

Did you modify the Pro145 at all? I replaced the stock tube with an old stock RCA in mine - so the overdrive is quite nice.

BTW, this was first class/top notch jazz playing by ALL members of your group... I hear echoes of Goldings + Frissell but all in all very original. Who were the other players in your group?

Thanks for this!

• 2 weeks later...

Also good music...

WOW - That was a Nord C1 + MS 145? SOUNDED AMAZING INDEED!

With all the SK praise of late and Nord bashing, I was starting to think my Nord C1 + MS145/HS3300 was maybe missing something but no more. You nailed it!

Did you use the hot output directly into the MS? Or do you have a speakeasy/other pre-amp in the chain as well?

Did you modify the Pro145 at all? I replaced the stock tube with an old stock RCA in mine - so the overdrive is quite nice.

BTW, this was first class/top notch jazz playing by ALL members of your group... I hear echoes of Goldings + Frissell but all in all very original. Who were the other players in your group?

Thanks for this!

Hi and sorry for the late reply.

I did use the C1 hot output direct into the MS145, no other preamp. I have replaced the bass speaker with another Eminence Delta LF, but can't remember when - not sure if it's on the recording or not. I have put another new 12AX7 into the MS also, but nothing special.

Thanks for the kind comments

The band on that gig was:

Jeremy Sawkins - Guitar

Spike Mason - Sax

Alex Masso - Drums (subbing too!)

Darren Heinrich - Organ.

I think we got $20 each for that set!

Regards

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Archived