Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When one door is closed, another one is open...

NewImprov

For the last year and a half, I've been playing with a really fun Latin band. We do some fairly obscure stuff, mostly Peruvian and Colombian electric stuff from the 60's and 70's. In the relatively short time we've been gigging, we've become one of the bigger draws around here, we did all the major city festivals this summer, and were even getting some offers to do some pretty profitable winery and corporate party gigs. Plus, it's a really fun band, a great group of people, and we've developed a really great chemistry. It's an interesting line-up 3 (sometimes 4, even 5) percussionists, electric guitar, bass, and me on keys. No drum kit.

About a month ago, the unofficial leader of the band, a percussionist/vocalist from Peru, found out that his job at Hewlett Packard had been eliminated. This initiated a mad-scramble for him to find a new gig, and it looks like he is moving out of the area, and possibly out of the country. We used our last month of weekly rehearsals to record a CD, and I've been working my ass off to get it mixed an ready for this weekend's gigs, which will most likely be our last. We're playing Saturday afternoon at a big outdoor city festival, and that evening at a club. And that will be it.

This is doubly sad for me because he's a very good friend, and we've played music together in various settings for 20-some years. He was always telling me about this incredible music I've never heard from Peru, and we had long talked about getting a band together to play it. We finally do, and it has to end too soon.

On the other hand, just last weekend, I had my first rehearsal with a Bob Marley tribute band. They play out about twice a year, always to packed houses. The core of the band is a really good reggae/jam band, and the singer is a hawaiian guy who really channels Marley. They're meticulous about getting the arrangements right, and it's a 10-piece band, with a horn section and backing vocalists. Since Marley usually toured with 2 keys players, it's been a challenge to get the essential parts under my fingers. But last weekend's rehearsal went great, we banged through about 15 tunes, and I did a lot better than I felt I was prepared to do. We have a couple of great gigs coming up in November, and are looking at the possibility of doing a little tour.

Like the song says...

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's always opportunities for a good keyboard player. 60's and 70's peruvian and columbian does sound great though. In the Bay Area there are occasional DJ nights where they spin nothing but that and its off the hook.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'd read recently that HP is getting out of the computer business, has new leadership, and is and making sweeping changes to the company... I assume that's what led to your friend's redundancy.

Sounds like you had a great band there, and too bad it has to come to an end. At least there's no drama, and all you have are good memories.

Best of luck with the next gig - Marley is fun to play!

Here for the gear.

For those who don't know the PNW Corvallis is a college town and probably a pretty good place to be living if you're playing music a little off the beaten path.

Let me know if your Marley band plays in the PDX area - especially on Saturdays which I often have off. It would be nice to meet you. Honestly I'm not much of a tribute band fan but that's one I'd like to catch.

For those who don't know the PNW Corvallis is a college town and probably a pretty good place to be living if you're playing music a little off the beaten path.

Let me know if your Marley band plays in the PDX area - especially on Saturdays which I often have off. It would be nice to meet you. Honestly I'm not much of a tribute band fan but that's one I'd like to catch.

Hey Bill, the Marley band is booked at Berbati's Pan in Portland on Friday, Nov. 4. Where are you in the Gorge? My old band used to play Hood River a lot.

And yeah, Corvallis has been a pretty good place to play weird music.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

New&Improv, just an idea

Since the peruvian guy is a friend of yours, why not talk to him and ask him to pass leadership of the band to you. You know the music style which is important, you have the other members around and he could easily help/assist you for any future plans via telephone or Skype (since he does not feel cheated - but could he feel so if this is a common decision?). Plus, you got the CD you recorded as a "passport" for future gigs.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

For the last year and a half, I've been playing with a really fun Latin band. We do some fairly obscure stuff, mostly Peruvian and Colombian electric stuff from the 60's and 70's. In the relatively short time we've been gigging, we've become one of the bigger draws around here, we did all the major city festivals this summer, and were even getting some offers to do some pretty profitable winery and corporate party gigs. Plus, it's a really fun band, a great group of people, and we've developed a really great chemistry. It's an interesting line-up 3 (sometimes 4, even 5) percussionists, electric guitar, bass, and me on keys. No drum kit.

About a month ago, the unofficial leader of the band, a percussionist/vocalist from Peru, found out that his job at Hewlett Packard had been eliminated. This initiated a mad-scramble for him to find a new gig, and it looks like he is moving out of the area, and possibly out of the country. We used our last month of weekly rehearsals to record a CD, and I've been working my ass off to get it mixed an ready for this weekend's gigs, which will most likely be our last. We're playing Saturday afternoon at a big outdoor city festival, and that evening at a club. And that will be it.

This is doubly sad for me because he's a very good friend, and we've played music together in various settings for 20-some years. He was always telling me about this incredible music I've never heard from Peru, and we had long talked about getting a band together to play it. We finally do, and it has to end too soon.

On the other hand, just last weekend, I had my first rehearsal with a Bob Marley tribute band. They play out about twice a year, always to packed houses. The core of the band is a really good reggae/jam band, and the singer is a hawaiian guy who really channels Marley. They're meticulous about getting the arrangements right, and it's a 10-piece band, with a horn section and backing vocalists. Since Marley usually toured with 2 keys players, it's been a challenge to get the essential parts under my fingers. But last weekend's rehearsal went great, we banged through about 15 tunes, and I did a lot better than I felt I was prepared to do. We have a couple of great gigs coming up in November, and are looking at the possibility of doing a little tour.

Like the song says...

If you need ideas on the Marley songs let me know and give me a list. I can help prioritize parts for you if you want.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Hey Bill, the Marley band is booked at Berbati's Pan in Portland on Friday, Nov. 4. Where are you in the Gorge? My old band used to play Hood River a lot.

And yeah, Corvallis has been a pretty good place to play weird music.

I live on the Washington side close to The Dalles, and have a steady gig there 4-5 nights a week - not as a musician, but as a karaoke host and DJ. Sometimes I get Saturdays off but not usually Fridays.

I get to P-Town several times a month though, and maybe there will be a next time. Drop me a PM if you ever grab a Saturday.

Berbati's is awesome and a Marley trib band (with a forumite on keys!) would definitely be awesome. Sorry I'll have to miss that :(

Yannis D: That's exactly what my friend wants us to do, and, if we can find another percussionist, we will probably continue in some form. But losing the one person who really, really knows the music we are doing is a lot to overcome. Plus, he is also our front guy, and a pretty dynamic performer. So it will be a challenge to move forward without him, and it will be a different band.

Outkaster: Wow, thanks! Will PM you in a few days, and pick your brain a bit.

Bill H: Will let you know, we'll be doing another round of shows in February.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

New

I know the situation. Years ago our band's drummer passed away. We were confronted with harsh reality and finished the band. We could do otherwise, but it's not always logic that prevails on those situations. Anyway, i wish you guys luck in any case. Also, good luck for your new reggae band

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Yannis D: That's exactly what my friend wants us to do, and, if we can find another percussionist, we will probably continue in some form. But losing the one person who really, really knows the music we are doing is a lot to overcome. Plus, he is also our front guy, and a pretty dynamic performer. So it will be a challenge to move forward without him, and it will be a different band.

Outkaster: Wow, thanks! Will PM you in a few days, and pick your brain a bit.

Bill H: Will let you know, we'll be doing another round of shows in February.

Sure no problem. Marley stuff is tough in that way.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived