Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coming to a music store near you

reidmc

That looks like a great way to make your customers feel good about buying at a brick-and-mortar instead of an internet retailer.

:rolleyes:

Are you this humourless about everything? :facepalm:

:D

The first time I saw this joke I thought it was hilarious. It was in one of those dumb/funny movies- Bill And Ted's...? Wayne's World? That was maybe 20 years ago.

Come to think of it, I've heard this joke more times than I've heard "Stairway" in the last 20 years. ;)

I'm sure that listening to beginners mangle the same songs every day is one of the major annoyances of working in a music store, and a guy has to joke about these things. But seriously, it smacks of a weird elitism that isn't really all that elite. Amatures and beginners are the main customers. It seems kind of creepy to want to make beginners feel bad about playing the songs they know and like.

On top of that, the brick-and-mortar stores are closing and it really bums me out. :(

Sorry to be gloomy in a joke thread.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I covered it a a longtime ago in a band that did a lot of weddings. We had 2 keyboard players. I can sing it. I can play it but I have problems singing and playing it at the sametime.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

"Color My World" is one of those nightmare songs. It is not hard but it's extremely repetitive and will lull one into a false sense of security. Then you mess up and there is no unobstrusive way to recover. Way back in the day it seemed to be every high school's prom theme song. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Having worked in many a keyboard departments over the years, if I never hear Fur Elise or Jump again it will be too soon. On the other hand, while working for a keyboard manufacturer several years ago, the responsiblity of creating a demo for a new home digital piano was placed on me. I told the fellow recording the music portion of the demo that I wanted the opening song to be Fur Elise. He as well as the GM of the company thought I was crazy. But then I explained that the song should start as normal but then meld into a jazz trio version, then a country version and go out with a big band version. After it was finally completed everyone thought the idea was great and the dealers loved it.

Now on to Adele. I had never heard of her a year ago. But a female singer sitting in with us on New Years Eve handed out a chart of a tune called

. What a nice song. I say more power to the few singers out there who have the desire and ability to stand in front of a microphone and just sing a song without being surrounded by a bunch of half naked dancers, back-up choir, etc. I give her a lot of points.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Having spent a lot of time working in music stores, about the only single tune that bothers me is "Chopsticks" ...

The rest of what bothers me are things like:

The Piano Rocker -- this one guy who seemingly knew nothing but Billy Joel and Elton John, and played the same songs (in the same order!) every time he came in.

The Tristan & Isolde Gospel Hour -- this guy (edit: several, actually) who would sit on a B3 playing a non-stop, non-resolving progression of gospel changes for an hour straight.

The "Wow! I Just (Almost) Figured Out How to Play the Blues!" jams in the guitar department.

This one employee who was a great pianist, but an apathetic employee, who played the same 10-15 songs over and over and over and OVER again all day.

And, of course, anyone who doesn't know how to play, but doesn't treat the instruments with respect -- banging on drums wildly, gangs of bored teenagers playing the most obnoxious sounds on a synth at full volume for a laugh, faux shredding on the loudest guitar amp in the room, kids that just wildly bang on pianos, etc.

The rest of what bothers me are things like:

The Piano Rocker -- this one guy who seemingly knew nothing but Billy Joel and Elton John, and played the same songs (in the same order!) every time he came in.

Hey wait a minute!!!!

I've never been to Mississippi . . . :laugh:

. . . but I kinda like the music . . .

-Mike

I'm a guitarist, not a keyboardist, so I didn't hang out in the keyboard section. But just as a customer, I knew I got tired of hearing bad guitar versions of "Stairway to Heaven" and "Eruption".

But in some stores what was maddening was that there would be 20 young guitarists playing loud at once, in all different keys and tempos, not all of them in tune, and often abusing effects pedals. I don't think I could handle it, but the employees told me that they got used to it.

Who else here when they want to test drive something for a possible purchase takes time off work and does it during a weekday morning when the store traffic should be slow in order to be able to hear what you are test driving.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Who else here when they want to test drive something for a possible purchase takes time off work and does it during a weekday morning when the store traffic should be slow in order to be able to hear what you are test driving.

Funny, I actually did do that about a week ago . . . what a difference :/

-Mike

The Tristan & Isolde Gospel Hour -- this guy (edit: several, actually) who would sit on a B3 playing a non-stop, non-resolving progression of gospel changes for an hour straight.

Ha, I thought maybe it was just me. I respect so much about those guys playing, but do those songs ever resolve?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I am both lucky and cursed to have Guitar Center SF a few blocks from my office. I can drop in their around 11 am and have relative peace and quiet, and they are usually decently stocked. For instance, I could try the Kronos about as soon as anyone. The curse is, of course, GAS.

Not always peace and quiet, however. This GC is very tolerant of letting some, shall we say, down-and-outers (lots of flop pad motels and junkies in the neighborhood) come in and jam. On the one hand, I think that's really cool of store to do that. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind hearing some Jump or Linus & Lucy from these guys as opposed to their chaotic keyboard wanderings.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• 4 weeks later...

I don't take vacation days to test drive stuff ... but do try to hit the store at off hours. I've also gotten into the habit of bringing my IEM earbuds with me. They do a pretty good job of isolating what I'm trying to hear during my test drive from the hip-hop wannabees that are constantly underfoot in the synth showrooms.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Archived