Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coming to a music store near you

reidmc

From today's interwebs:

A music shop in Dublin has banned customers from playing Adele's music on its keyboards.

Opus ii has placed a sign in its window saying "Strictly NO Adele" as a warning to amateur musicians who enter the shop.

Adele's hit 'Someone Like You' has become a favorite for keyboard players who visit the store to test out the instruments.

"It's become the piano equivalent of 'Stairway To Heaven'. Everyone thinks they can play it," Warren, an Opus ii shop assistant, told The Independent.

"The sign was a bit of a joke, but the song can drive you mad."

The store has also placed a ban on Beethoven's 'Für Elise' as the composition was repeatedly performed by potential customers.

Adele has sold over 10 million copies of her second album 21 and analysts have predicted that sales could rise to 13 million by Christmas.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a small bass guitar shop (yes, you heard me, a store dedicated to Bass Guitar) outside of Detroit that had a BIG sign posted behind the counter that said:

"No playing GLIDE by Pleasure, those that violate this rule (and song) will be ejected."

It is one bad ass popin' slapin' bass tune, that so many who tried to play it, just butchered it.

Sadly, that shop closed two years ago.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Back in the day, we had a sign "No 'Jump'" in our keyboard department. I can relate.

Same with us, we had a list of illegal songs (Jump for sure). If you played them, or attempted to, it could affect the price. (True capitalists, we didn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater).

;)

Back in the day, we had a sign "No 'Jump'" in our keyboard department. I can relate.

Same with us, we had a list of illegal songs (Jump for sure). If you played them, or attempted to, it could affect the price. (True capitalists, we didn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater).

;)

I always loved this variation on the "Jump" moratorium:

"$50 fine for anyone heard playing 'Jump'.

An additional $200 fine to anyone caught playing it wrong."

Many years ago the KB dept. of a local music store had a sign that prohibited playing Vince Guaraldi's Peanut's theme. I asked the dept. manager why and he said "because nobody plays it in time!". I asked if he'd write "Except for Wayne" if I could play it in time. He said "sure", fully expecting me to blow it. I walked over and played it in time. I didn't tell him I'd been obsessing over that tune for weeks. :D He was true to his word and I made a good friend in kb retail!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I like to think I have pretty broad tastes and can recognise some musical value in most genres, even if I don't particularly like them. But I just don't get this Adele stuff, I really don't. Dull boring non-tunes and bland doggerel lyrics and its not as if she is a looker or great jolly character either (not that I am in a position to judge!). Yet she clearly has sold millions of records both sides of the Atlantic. Good luck to her, but I just don't get it.

19 is the debut album by English singer-songwriter Adele. It was released on 28 January 2008, the week after the lead single, "Chasing Pavements", was physically released. It debuted at number one on the UK charts on its first week.[1] Included is a cover of the Bob Dylan song "Make You Feel My Love" from his 1997 album, Time Out of Mind. As of September 2011, worldwide sales for the album is estimated at 4 million copies.

In the U.S 19 debuted at #56 and remained in the lower ends of the Billboard 200 for many proceeding weeks. After a performance on the U.S show Saturday Night Live it rose to #46 and a week later to #11 with sales of 25,000+ copies sold. In 2009, after winning 2 Grammy Awards, the album rose to a new peak of #10 on the Billboard 200 and total sales reached 843,880, the album is now certified platinum by the RIAA.[26] As of February 2011, the album has sold 1,015,000 copies in the United States. As of the week ending 24 April 2011, 19 was No. 1 on the Top Pop Catalog Albums for 9 weeks, making it only the third album by a female artist to top that chart at least that long in the past 20 years

"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

A music shop in Dublin has banned customers from playing Adele's music on its keyboards.

Opus ii has placed a sign in its window saying "Strictly NO Adele" as a warning to amateur musicians who enter the shop.

Adele's hit 'Someone Like You' has become a favorite for keyboard players who visit the store to test out the instruments.

I just listened to a bit of this tune on the YouTube. How can the shop tell the difference between this piano part and a million other pop piano parts that are exactly the same? :P:sick:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I like to think I have pretty broad tastes and can recognise some musical value in most genres, even if I don't particularly like them. But I just don't get this Adele stuff, I really don't. Dull boring non-tunes and bland doggerel lyrics and its not as if she is a looker or great jolly character either (not that I am in a position to judge!). Yet she clearly has sold millions of records both sides of the Atlantic. Good luck to her, but I just don't get it.

I believe one of the reasons she's popular is because she's NOT a looker.

She appeals to a lot of women.

We play Rolling In The Deep. Always goes over well.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

What, no bans on "Axel F"? That would be right up there for me. :)

But, you know, let the kids play. Most of these synths have patches NAMED "Jump" and "Lucky Man" on them anyway. What are you gonna do?

What music stores really need to do is spot-weld the volume knobs on the amps/monitors.

-John

BTW, Adele is as much an Amy Winehouse wannabe as Ray Charles is a David Lee Roth wannabe. It's just guilt by association (white + British + "soul" singer).

I make software noises.

I was bigtime into Adele with her first album 19. I thought she was going to be the next big superstar singer. So I preordered her second album. When it came, I listened to it once and thought.. 'what a shame, it sucks compared to 19'. She's done! Couple months later 21 dwarfed 19 in terms of sales and she's all over the radio and tv.

Shows I am NOT in the know of what the masses think is good music.

In otherwords I like 19 a zillion times better than 21.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I've seen a list of banned songs at a music store in Newport News.

They removed it but I recall the list used to include:

Smoke On the Water

Wipe out

Stairway To Heaven

Imagine

Sail Away

Jump

Let it Be

I believe they put it up as a joke, and a few people got upset.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

....The store has also placed a ban on Beethoven's 'Für Elise' as the composition was repeatedly performed by potential customers.

When I worked in a music store you could play whatever you wanted if you were actually considering purchasing a piano. The piano showroom was always SLOW.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived