Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seeing Chick and Return to Forever Tonight

HammondDave

In a few hours I will be listing to one of my keyboard idols, Chick Corea. My wife scored two tickets for our anniversary. What a wonderful anniversary present for me.

The last time I saw Chick was with Booby McFerrin in the 80's. In fact, I sat next to Chick on the plane from Erie to Jamestown. I first saw him with the original RTF back in the 70's. It will be good to hear them tonight, although minus Al Di Meola. Will miss him, but their guitar player is killer. Plus Jean Luc Ponty is now part of the band.

Will file a report after the show.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In fact, I sat next to Chick on the plane from Erie to Jamestown.

did you get any tips from him? :)

"Tips"? I don't think so. It was one of these puddle jumpers and we were squeezed in tight next to each other. We could not help but talk... I tried to be cool, but how many times do you sit next to Chick Corea in your life? He told me to always play to enjoy... and if I am not having fun I need to play with someone else. He also talked about the Zen of playing... We talked about when the RTF albums were going to come out on CD, and the acoustic tour with Bobby McFerrin.

By the way, the concert tonight was amazing. So incredibly tight. And let me tell you, these guys are as good as when I saw them 30+ years ago. Especially Stanley Clarke, who played several 1000 MPH bass solos, which brought the crowd to their feet.

The addition of Jean Luc Ponty on violin is inspired. It sounded so good within the quartet structure of RTF. Added a lot to the melodies as well.

My wife (who never heard them before), turned to me after one of Stanley's bass solos and said "These guys are Monsters!"... I believe I said the same thing 30+ years ago... (at that particular concert, by the way, Weather Report opened for RTF... Talk about a bass player's wet dream: Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius...)

Chick played a Motif XF8, Moog Voyager, and Yamaha acoustic grand. He mostly played the Rhodes sounds from the Motif, which sounded just like the originals. The sound system was fantastic. Dweezil Zappa joined them for the encore (his band opened for RTF, and they were great as well).

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Saw them in Phoenix last weekend. Great show.

Dweezil Zappa opened and I thought they were great. I was never much into Zappa so I was relatively unfamiliar with most of the tunes they played but came away thinking they were awesome.

I saw RTF back in the 80's with Al DiMeola and they literally blew me away. I was really looking forward to seeing them this time.

I thought they had some great moments but they certainly had some not so great ones too. They seemed to be plagued with technical issues all night long. Tech's were running up on stage like it was Spinal Tap. The sound was awful at first, then got good, then got awful and awfully loud towards the end.

High points for me were Soceress and a beautiful rendition of Romantic Warrior. Chick is such a phenomenal piano player.

I thought Frank Gambale didn't seem to be featured as much as DiMeola was. Although Jean Luc Ponty was excellent, I really liked their sound better as a 4 some. With these kind of busy and technically proficient musicians, it seems better the smaller the ensemble. That's my 2 cents at least.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

He mostly played the Rhodes sounds from the Motif, which sounded just like the originals.

Interesting !

Yamaha released his Rhodes mk V sample set for the Motif XF.

Be happy you´ve seen this gig.

I couldn´t go because we had heavy weathers at that evening and water ran into my house, my gear being in the basement.

I doubt I can see this lineup again.

A.C.

Congrats on seeing an excellent concert. I haven't seen the Jean Luc Ponty line up yet and would love to. I can't believe that their motor skills are still as on point as they used to be. Crazy how this works with the baddest-assest. What were some of the highlights songwise?

I saw RTF back in the 80's with Al DiMeola and they literally blew me away.

Whoa.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

He mostly played the Rhodes sounds from the Motif, which sounded just like the originals.

Interesting !

Yamaha released his Rhodes mk V sample set for the Motif XF.

One of the standouts at the show I saw. The Rhodes sounded fantastic.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

(at that particular concert, by the way, Weather Report opened for RTF...

That's just wrong...

Yeah...sorry... I have seen some outstanding shows in my lifetime... That particular concert is up there with (just off the top of my head):

King Crimson Mark I (Lake, Fripp, Giles, McDonald) at West Palm Beach Festival (two shows!)

Hendrix in Miami (right before he passed away)

Billy Joel in Miami and Dallas - The Stranger Tour

Spirit in Hollywood, Fl. (several times)

Janis Joplin in Miami and West Palm Beach

Pink Floyd in Hollywood (1968)

Alice Cooper in Hollywood (first tour)

Led Zep in Hollywood (first tour)

Deep Purple in Hollywood (In Rock Tour)

ELP in Hollywood (first tour)

Most of these concerts were in the $4 - $8 range... Those were the days! LOL

Chicks old Rhodes was sampled into the Motif and he uses that sample in most of the pads. They all continue to play so well because they push each other hard. If any of you ever played with their band you would play at a completely different level. Back when I played drums, I played with a dozen different bands, my manager would call and say he had a better band than the one before. Or, other bands would call when I was on the road working and tell me they had been to our show and wanted to hire me. These were national acts, I got my attorney to break my contract often which costs lots of money. When you are very good others find out soon and want you and will pay a lot to get you. You are just having fun playing and when you are not you find another band. If you are not having fun your playing suffers. I played with the very best and got really good. Chick is completely correct. Look at his age and the way he plays, fantastic I think.

That's just wrong...

Yeah...sorry... I have seen some outstanding shows in my lifetime... That particular concert is up there with (just off the top of my head):

King Crimson Mark I (Lake, Fripp, Giles, McDonald) at West Palm Beach Festival (two shows!)

I hate you. :mad:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

That's just wrong...

I hate you. :mad:

Yeah, I was very lucky to grow up where and when I did. Our ticket price for RTF last night was over $90. And that is cheap for the seats we had. Tickets are just too expensive nowadays, with inferior shows. Sure the lighting, sound, and projections are better, but... is it really worth it? Last night it was...

From Last night's show.... Stanley being Stanley....

[video:youtube]

From Last night's show.... Stanley being Stanley....

:thu: Wish i was there, i missed this tour, too many bills, i really couldn't go. Now, Dave, i don't know if you're into "new bands" that still pay tribute to the 70's (in a way), but i think you should check this one, their US tour starts next week. There's some RTF influences on the new record.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtTScrZUPk&feature=player_embedded

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

You can hear his Rhodes samples very well here...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJz8LPnRhY&NR=1

Here is the Yamaha sample... sounds just like last night... Wish they had it for the XS...

http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/chick-s-rhodes.html

I saw the show here in Minneapolis a month or so ago.

Dweezil Zappa was great. It was really fun to hear those tunes. Zappa had such an interesting combination of composition, rock intensity, and humor.

Regarding RTF. They were technically great. However, if I am honest, it felt a bit like they were just out rehashing the same old tunes and gimmicks (think Stanley's bass solos) to make a buck - maybe a little uninspired. Of course, they are all still great players, but I would rather hear them playing some new tunes. Chick's Motif Rhodes did sound good. I believe he used the AvantGrand instead of the acoustic. It generally sounded good, but they seemed to be wrestling with the EQ all night.

Yamaha CP1, Yamaha C3, Optimism and patience

Check out Chick's beautiful comping behind Stanley's solo...

Archived