Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CME WIDI-X8

J. Dan

My research had concluded that the best wireless MIDI performance came from this unit, so I ordered it. It came in today, and it only comes with one unit. Apparently to get wireless MIDI, you have to buy 2 of these. WTF? They're $230 each. So that means $460 for a COMPLETE wireless MIDI interface? Why would somebody only buy 1?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$230 each? Up here they're $140 CDN each... and yes, you need one for each end (this system allows you to do wireless MIDI to your computer by buying the simpler, less expensive USB thumb drive transceiver, which is why someone would buy only one of the WIDI-X8 units for the remote keyboard, and the WIDI-XU for the computer).

$230 each? Up here they're $140 CDN each...

Yes, that's why I assumed it was a pair.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

CME changed their packaging about a year ago or so and now sell them individually. I paid about $179 for the pair when I bought mine. They came 2 to a box. I actually own 2 pair of them. They are great but not at $460 pair...

I agree call GC and have a chat.....

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I almost pulled the trigger on the WIDI system until I finally dug through their horrible info, that told me I needed two units, one to act as "transmitter" on my ax, and the other to act as "receiver" at the rack.

Yes, at the couple places that are selling them, they are indeed $230 US, each. Ouch...I'll pass for now.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Okay I did some more searching. I think perhaps GC/Musicians Friend is incorrect.

Full Compass sells the pair for $218. They even say must be purchased as a set and list them at $109 each.

I think Bananas At Large is similar.

More checking: many places also are showing the GC version charging $229 for each....

Ugh...

David

Called customer service, who really didn't know much. I pointed out that LIST price is $129 each and pointed out the Full Compass price of $109 each. I indicated that I thought it was an error in their system. She's emailing a tech to get back to me. If they don't make it right, I'll return it and buy from Full Compass.

Dan

Called customer service, who really didn't know much. I pointed out that LIST price is $129 each and pointed out the Full Compass price of $109 each. I indicated that I thought it was an error in their system. She's emailing a tech to get back to me. If they don't make it right, I'll return it and buy from Full Compass.

Dan, hopefully someone figures this out. It seems as though many places aren't aware that CME changed the packaging to one unit per box, which I believe was done for those who only need one, and are getting the USB for the other end.

I haven't dug much deeper, but so far Full Compass is the only place I've seen advertised "Correctly"

David

Yes - thank you for the Full Compass reference, and thank you Sven as well! I think I have the ammo I need. If they don't fix it, Full Compass it is!

Dan

I'd say no to Full Compass. Try elsewhere. There are few vendors who I'd slam in a public forum like this but there is a very good reason to steering away from them.

Can you tell me what that is? I have never bought anything from them, but have considered the WX8 like Dan, if they're the only place with the correct pricing. Private message if you want.

Thanks

David

I've checked the gear reviews and searched the forum ... but haven't been able to turn up anything that resembles a review from anybody who uses the CME WIDI X8 units.

I currently have one of the M-Audio MidiAir wireless units - which I find works reasonably consistently at about 50% of it's stated "range" of 30 feet. Anything farther than that ... and it's dicey.

I'm not really complaining about the M-Audio unit ... considering that with discounts - the device ran me $75 it's served it's purpose of giving me a taste of wireless MIDI with my recently purchased AX Synth. Now I want a real wireless setup with which I can expect a more useful range.

The CME product advertises a range of "up to 80 meters". I'm hoping to hear from somebody who is actually using the product to get a sense of what sort of performance/range they're actually getting out of the product.

Anybody with experience with this product care to comment?

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I use the Widi X8 and it works flawlessly. No latency, at least that I can notice. Great battery life, good distance. I play a lot of large rooms and outdoor gigs and have never gone out of range or had interference. No dropped notes. Pretty much plug and play.

Like I said earlier in this thread I paid about $179 for the pair and worth every penny!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I have the CME system. I haven't used it for a while since my 80's tribute band has been 'dormant', but if I recall correctly it works like a charm. Low latency, very hassle free and stable. I heard from a friend who works as a stage hand for a big swedish artist who uses an AX7 with wireless midi that there's a wireless midi system intended for accordeons that's supposed to be the best out there. But I'm very happy with the CME.

I heard from a friend who works as a stage hand for a big swedish artist who uses an AX7 with wireless midi that there's a wireless midi system intended for accordeons that's supposed to be the best out there. But I'm very happy with the CME.

I believe the system is made somewhere in the UK. Kenton.

I have heard form some overseas people that the system is excellent. Especially with the rack mounted receiver.

Here's a LINK

Looks like to get the Transmitter (body pack) and receiver with rack mount kit would be about $544 including shipping from UK.

Here's some pics of their system:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/kenton_midistream_tx.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/kenton_midistream_rack_1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/kenton_midistream_rack_2.jpg

David

The current pro wireless MIDI solution is the MIDIJet Pro. $425USD from the manufacturer up here in Canada. :thu:

http://www.organworks.com/Content/Pictures/Products/MIDI_Products/MIDIjetPro-pair_web.png

According to the marketing hype:

Used on tour with pro artists including: Michael Brecker, Herbie Hancock, Teddy Riley, Prince, Brian Simpson and the Dave Koz band, U2 Vertigo Tour, Gwen Stefani, Rolling Stones (2 systems!), Justin Timberlake, Jordan Rudess on Zen Riffer with Dream Theatre, Lisa Harriton (Smashing Pumpkins), Bagga Bownz, Bella Morte, Beyonce, Bright Eyes, Bruce Cassidy, Dragonforce - Herman Li and Vadim Pruzhanov, The Faint, Funkiphino, Imogen Heap, Mechanical Soul, Nutsville Noise Lab Studios, Paradise Theatre - the Ultmate Styx Tribute, Trade Mark - Bob Soberje, Zelfish Perez - Igor Guezz, Matt Traum, and many many others!

Archived