Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody play accordion parts on their 'boards?

kelp

I'm in a band that does a lot of Irish material. I use a stock accordion sound from a Kurzweil PC3. Sounds pretty good and it's fun to play!

I now rely so heavily on piano and accordion sounds that those are my primary criteria when evaluating a new board.

Can anybody recommend other boards that have good accordion sounds? I think I do want to stay on keys (vs. playing an actual or "V" accordion).

Thanks!

Nord Lead A1; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 11 Pro; Windows 10

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of the reasons I chose a Nord Electro 3 (I think you can't load them on an NE2). The band I was in at the time played a few songs that needed an accordion. Nord has several to choose from. They're good IMO.

It's always fun when the audience can't see your hands and you start with the accordion. They're trying to figure out where it's coming from.

I like the Nord pianos as well although I don't like to trigger piano from the NE3.

90% of the realism of an accordion sound on a keyboard is obtained by the use of an expression pedal to mimic the dynamics attained through the bellows manipulation. If you're playing accordion sounds without an expression pedal (or some other amplitude control, and no, velocity doesn't count), then no board you get is going to make you sound any better.

Of course, if you're playing in true Irish pubs, prepare for some backlash from traditionalists for not playing the real thing. ;)

I think I do want to stay on keys (vs. playing an actual or "V" accordion).

Well if you want to make sure you want to stay on keys, I'd suggest you try a real (meaning acoustic) accordion if you haven't already. I'm so glad I bought one a few months ago, I have a blast playing it and it's paid itself many times already. Especially since you're into Irish music, it could be a nice addition to your arsenal. To some extent it can also act as a backup for your main keyboard.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

@MoKen: Thanks. I certainly do have people wondering what the hell I'm doing up there -- in more ways than one! :)

@Sven: The Kurz has some pseud0-bellows type thing on the mod wheel. Not very pronounced. The pedal is a good tip. Thanks.

I think I do want to stay on keys (vs. playing an actual or "V" accordion).

Well if you want to make sure you want to stay on keys, I'd suggest you try a real (meaning acoustic) accordion if you haven't already. .

Be aware though that the Irish trad accordion is a diatonic button box, not a piano accordion. Completely different animals. No skills on one correspond to the other.

Pete

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

Be aware though that the Irish trad accordion is a diatonic button box, not a piano accordion. Completely different animals. No skills on one correspond to the other.

Another very good point. Very difficult to coax the same type of performance from a keyboard that I get on my Hohner Erica... and that's a G/C box, not a true Irish B/C or C/C# box.

I'm in a band that does a lot of Irish material. I use a stock accordion sound from a Kurzweil PC3. Sounds pretty good and it's fun to play!

I now rely so heavily on piano and accordion sounds that those are my primary criteria when evaluating a new board.

Can anybody recommend other boards that have good accordion sounds? I think I do want to stay on keys (vs. playing an actual or "V" accordion).

What patch # is the accordion on the PC3? Looked for one the other day and could not find it....

Thanks!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Yes, there is one in the GM set. 177 uses a non-GM keymap.

I use a Setup with two zones. Each has 177 loaded but the second zone is transposed down an octave. I have both volumes mapped to sliders and mix to taste.

Yes, there is one in the GM set. 177 uses a non-GM keymap.

I use a Setup with two zones. Each has 177 loaded but the second zone is transposed down an octave. I have both volumes mapped to sliders and mix to taste.

Yep, I checked it out, it's the ParisCmbAccrd patch, a pretty decent sound. :thu:

I picked up a little two octave student model piano accordion for $120 at an estate sale a couple of years ago. It is a delight, although I generally don't even mess with the left hand buttons. One band I play with occasionally does a lot of original Louisiana-influenced blues and it comes in handy on a few tunes with the C&W band.

Playing this thing makes me smile. Watch Craig's List and you'll find one cheap. Worth every penny and then some. And they're loud enough that you can go wander around the bar and get bought drinks during songs. Remember they come from a pre-amplification era and played along with brass players.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Archived