Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Shipping overseas

MRkeys

Have someone wanting to purchase some gear from me on a craigslist ad from Switzerland. I know there are lost of scams going on, but this seems legit. Anyway to safely transfer funds? Would paypal actually be safe if I initiated the transfer? I know I would need someway to get proof of delivery.

Maybe I should just tell him no and forget it?

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's always suspicious such request because he would need to pay VAT and customs plus expensive shipping and all that make potential transaction not worthy trouble unless that gear is really unique not available in Europe...

I wonder if a Wurlitzer 200A is actually rare in Switzerland? Maybe just put it on Ebay for 99 cents and let the market decide. He could bid if he wants lol.

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

it's always suspicious such request because he would need to pay VAT and customs plus expensive shipping and all that make potential transaction not worthy trouble unless that gear is really unique not available in Europe...

Not sure if they have to pay taxes as we do, they're not part of the EU, they have some funny economic things going on there...Maybe that's why it's interesting for the swiss guy...

And regarding taxes, it's not like the CIA were on it, actually. I bought from amazon U.S. a thousand times and I paid taxes only once, for instance. :)

I think you should ask at your bank if there's any secure payment method, or have the money in advance, there are sure many alternatives...

My experience:

I live in Italy. I've bought several things (thru ebay or other channels) from the USA, and sold a few as well. I've been scammed two times. The rest of the transactions went very smoothly once I convinced the seller that I wasn't there to rob him or her.

There can be several reasons one wants to buy stuff from overseas, first of which is the favorable exchange of the Euro (and other European currencies) with the American dollar.

Frankly, I've noticed that Americans tend to be *very* self-protective in this regard. I've dealt with every kind of American seller from very communicative to total jerks, but they all were surely on the defensive side, at the beginning at least.

MANY times I had to give up buying something because most American sellers don't want to know about shipping things to Europe. To ITALY, of all things - the most unreliable country in the world. :D

Now, I'm not saying that you should trust everyone. If you smell scam, run away as fast as possible, as everyone would do. And - as I've said many times, I believe that some of the bad fame that my country as gained internationally is deserved, unfortunately.

But if after a healthy exchange of emails you realize that your buyer is legit, there's no reason not to relax a bit. I've kept a few emails from the past that border on the the paranoid/hilarious.

By contrast, the few times that I've tried sellers from the Far East (Hong Kong, Japan) everything went without the smallest hitch. Now, I'm sure that if I had been a scammer, they would have hit me with full force - but they just did not *start* with that assumption.

So I guess I wrote this s a kind of plea to my American friends: By all means, hit the scammers. But also, allow your European buddies to get a few of the things you want to sell. *Especially* in the electronic MI market.

I've been so struck by this situation over the years that I wrote a piece of music about it! It's called "Ships to the USA". :D

(sorry, no decent recordings of it yet) :)

I am not worried about the shipping, it is the money transfer. How was that accomplished?

Maybe I should have titled the thread "International money transfer". :)

In my case, I always ask to pay with PayPal first, because it's the simplest way. Many people don't want that, because of the possibility of frauds (but quite a few of them have changed their mind after reading my ebay feeback, net references, etc.).

Another possibility is an international bank transfer. It's safe, it's quite expensive, and it's long: 10-12 days in my experience. It works like a national transfer, just they give you a bigger form to fill. :)

After the transfer is cleared, the seller ships the item. Notice that in this case, the risk is all for the buyer; he has no chance to have his money back, should something go wrong.

I also encountered a couple of guys who were very reluctant to give me their bank data. Without the data, I could do no transfer, and no, one can't possibly access your bank account with that data, except for *sending* you money - indeed.

Then there's MoneyGram. It's safe, it's istantaneous, and *very* expensive. I tend to avoid it if possible; it's so expensive that the advantages of buying overseas are greatly reduced. Basically, you go to a MoneyGram office, give them the money, and give them a code, which the receiver must know in order to retrieve the cash in another MoneyGram office. The advantage is, the payment is available in about half an hour all over the world.

Archived