Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Rugby World Cup 2011

_Sweet Willie_

It seems worthwhile to once again recognize a great sporting event that comes around only once every four years. The Rugby World Cup just got started recently, being hosted by New Zealand. What a gloriously off-topic thread! At least there's precedence from 2007 and 2003. This is the only venue that I access with some regularity, though, where there is an international presence and there might actually be some folks who will chime in who have greater knowledge about international rugby and more nuanced perspective than I may see in the US press.

A couple of opening thoughts from me...

1. There is more television coverage in the US than for any prior World Cup. This, I think, is exciting for us ruggers and rugby fans. It will be possible to see most of the US team's games as well as several games from the elimination rounds without some kind of fancy, pay subscription or satellite dish. Major network NBC Sports aired the US team's opening match against Ireland, and will broadcast a couple of other games. Universal Sports is showing a number of games. (Yes, I know that virtually everything will be available on the interwebz, but it's nice for the sport in the US that there's tv coverage.) Had I had more opportunities to watch top tier rugby back when I actually played, I think I would've developed into a better player.

2. I watched NZ v Tonga and USA v Ireland. The underdogs, I thought, were more impressive than expected. Both managed tries, even if late in the games. The US team showed some good signs of having defensive strength, but the forward pack wasn't as competitive as it needed to be against Ireland's pack. Generally it seems that many of the "second tier" rugby nations are showing better than expected, even in their losses. For example, Japan looked good from the highlights I saw.

3. Whatup w/ England wearing all black in New Zealand, home of the "All Blacks"?!

4. I continue to be impressed by the athleticism of international rugby players. The big guys often surprise me by being faster and more agile than I expect, and the backs often impress me with their strength, and their ability to turn momentum into force, even as they make contact with the larger players.

The USA plays Russia tomorrow. This may be the only game that the US team may be favored to win. I think they sit just above Russia in the world rankings. It could be an exciting match.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No comments from my UK and southern hemisphere bassists yet?

US beat Russia 13-6 early this morning (at least on the east coast here in the USA). I think it'll be broadcast tonight. From what I've read, it sounds like the US team played well in general and that the Russians suffered some from erroneous play. I did see a highlight of a lovely US try off a breakthrough of the Russian defensive line by the US backs.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Seriously. That score was built similarly...

Russia -- 2 penalty kicks for 3 pts each (sort of like two field goals)

USA -- 2 penalty kicks for 3 pts each (like two field goals), 1 try (5) + conversion (2) for 7 pts (like a touchdown and conversion in American football)

It was a lower scoring game. Somewhat because there were missed kicks in the wind and rain, and somewhat because the USA failed to capitalize on stretches when they dominated the game with possession in Russia's half of the field.

USA plays Australia in about a week. Our boys will likely spend a fair bit of time playing defense in their own half of the field.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

It was a lower scoring game. Somewhat because there were missed kicks in the wind and rain ...

Maybe they did not allow for the coriolus effect - in the southern hemisphere the ball will tend to bend the other way. (It's important in naval artillary anyway).

We look forward to thrashing our trans-pacific cousins in a weeks time! I won't get to see it because it's on pay tv here, which I don't have.

btw Slowfinger played rugby union in high school - he was not outstanding. Early on he played prop or second row because he was a tall 14yo, and wing when he was a skinny but speedy 17yo.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

My 6'4" 300 lb. freakishly strong nephew is being heavily recruited to play club rugby up at his college. I am encouraging him to give it a shot.

I don't believe rugby is an NCAA sanctioned sport but it is definitely gaining popularity. I wish people were playing it when I was a young man. Great fun to watch now, anyway.

Push the button Frank.

I'm really keen to watch this year and have been reading up - the thing that has prevented it has been the time of day the matches are on here - gotta give myself a nudge and catch up this weekend though!

The only other thing I always find frustrating is that though I played a lot of rugby between 1975 and 1981 I barely recognise the rules of the modern game. I hardly ever know what a penalty has been given for - and so many games are decided by those penalties. It's great when they broadcast what the ref is saying.

I may actually have to tune in this time 'round. Like a lot of people, I saw Invictus and it helped me to understand the game a bit better. Plus, one of my most recent rhythm section partners is South African and loves to cheer on his Bokke (Springbucks). So I feel like I at least have some stake in the tourney now.

Oh, and this is the viewing grid for the American television coverage.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Good result for Ireland, indeed.

US got smashed by the Aussies. No surprise there. At least the US team put across a try, even if the Aussies put across 11 tries! I haven't seen the match yet. I hope to see a rebroadcast sometime this weekend.

Am I wrong, or did both sides rest quite a few regulars? I'm assuming the US was resting and protecting some folks for Italy, which will be a tough match, but eminently more winnable than today's.

Having played rugby briefly w/ a low-level Italian club, I think I'll enjoy the US-Italy match with a healthy bit of nostaligia.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

I watched it live, Willie, & I have to be honest & say the US was outclassed here, but then, no surprise, as you say.

One of the interesting things with this tournament is how well (generally) the 'lesser' rugby nations are doing. And all good matches so far.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Saw quite a bit this weekend and am finally hooked on it - though it'll be hard to see the matches or highlights due to timings and the fact I'm crazy busy. New Zealand looked spectacularly good against France, England are improving at just the right speed. I saw the start of the Scotland Argentina match and then went out but wasn't that surprised Argentina won - must have been an exciting conclusion!

Saw quite a bit this weekend and am finally hooked on it - though it'll be hard to see the matches or highlights due to timings and the fact I'm crazy busy. New Zealand looked spectacularly good against France, England are improving at just the right speed. I saw the start of the Scotland Argentina match and then went out but wasn't that surprised Argentina won - must have been an exciting conclusion!

I must say that there was more than refereeing decision to the detriment of the Scots. A very close match, but I reckon we should have edged it.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

Really looking forward to Scotland - England!

We must beat England completely enough to gain bonus points to get through. Although not impossible, it seems unlikely.

It's a pity that given 2 wins, one loss by one point and even a draw, a team will be sent home - doesn't seem reflective of the merit of performance.

G.

Tough loss for the Scots; I haven't watched highlights yet. Certainly a real challenge for them to advance, but it should make for a competitive match vs England given the stakes.

Argentina kept it close against England. Although the Argentines have been strong in international rugby, they always seemed just a little behind the big three in the southern hemisphere and the Five Nations squads. Sort of knocking on the door, maybe a notch better than Italy. I wonder if they're started to claw there way into that top level. I haven't watched their games in this world cup, but has anyone seen anything about their play that suggests something more promising than in the past? Given the relatively low scores, are they doing something particularly well on defense?

NZ did look strong against France. I watched the highlights video on the RWC website.

After a less-than-convincing opener vs the USA, Ireland has been impressive w/ the victory over Australia and a dominant performance over Russia. The Ireland-Italy match may prove to be interesting.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

The Italian pack dominated the US in the scrums. It was fairly ugly at times how overmatched the US was in that element of the game. They held up in the line outs, and stole a couple of Italian balls in that phase.

However, despite some handling errors, I thought the backline running of the US squad vs Italy was aggressive and really pushed the Italian defense. Paul Emerick's break was a nice show of strength (he had a strong showing in all games at the #13 spot) and led to his offload to Chris Wyles for the sole US try (Wyles also has generally had a good tournament).

I think Italy will have too much to handle from Ireland, and will not advance from Group C.

I had hoped to see at least one full-speed, mindblowing run from winger Ngwenya for the US (like when he torched Habana for a try in 2007), but that never materialized. Sometimes his own fault given some handling errors.

So the US heads home with a "thanks for playing" medal, one victory, and some decent showings that maybe bode well for the future. Perhaps a couple more players showed enough in this Cup that they'll get the opportunity to play in pro leagues overseas and develop in ways that will help in 2015.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that the Scotland-England match will be tight, played hard, and exciting to watch. I'm also curious to see how big winger Tuilagi from Samoa fares against South Africa.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Bring on France!

We (England) looked better today after the substitutions - some strange decisions by the backs earlier kick on sight?). Scotland played very well and our pack struggled. I think it was the toughest group and Scotland are very unfortunate.

It was an ugly match but very exciting I thought.

Wilkinson has not looked good w/ the boot. England-France should be a good match.

France advances with not one, but two losses. Tonga did a really nice job in beating them. How about Samoa! Sure, they lost to South Africa, but they really made a match of it.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

The Scots went out because they lost to Argentina despite having several chances to tie the game up, and, IMHO, were the better team against England for at least 3/4 of the match - again they missed chances & failed due to their inability to score tries.

I though Wilkinson looked well beyond his sell-by date.

Gutted.

Come on the Irish! (I'm half Irish - with a name like Byrne you'd expect that, wouldn't you?) :D

G.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Welsh did a nice job against the Irish. They're playing strong defense, and I think that they can beat France in the semifinal.

Although the All Blacks are suffering from injuries to some key veterans, I still think they've been the strongest side in the tournament thus far and expect them to proceed onwards past Australia (also not at full health) and into the finals.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Well, being born in Scotland of an Irish father, both my teams are gone, so I have to support the next most Celtic team which will be the Welsh.

The trouble is knowing which French team is going to show up! In their first two matches they looked dreadful & were routed by Tonga(?) but after getting themselves together and essentially getting rid of their coach, they did what the French sometimes do, which is to come out & play brilliantly.

They made England look like the very pedestrian team that they are with some much-needed Gallic flare.

If Wales don't play at their best & the French do, it's going to be very difficult for them. It should be an entertaining match either way.

G.

I'm excited for Wales. I saw them beat Scotland in a Five Nations match back in 1992 in Cardiff. The spirit among the Welsh fans was fantastic, and the pubs in Cardiff after the match were a joy.

Meanwhile, I rec'd the following from a former frequent poster here:

An Englishman, an Irishman, and a Scotsman walk into a pub....the Welshman was missing because he was still in New Zealand watching his team in the Rugby World Cup.

Heh-heh-heh.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Currently France 9 - Wales 3. Welsh skipper inexplicably sent off (red-carded) for a lift tackle most referees would have wagged a finger at - or at the very most sin-binned.

Tough task for Wales to win now. French not as good as against England, but Wales down to 14 men. Last quarter will be critical.

Hold on!!!! Welsh have just scored a try!!!!! Failed to convert - too bad! Life in this yet!

G.

9-8 final. Welsh couldn't quite do it. Valiant effort w/ 14 players given the red-card. Yeah, the conversion would've done it for them. Alas.

NZ v France in the final. I wonder which French team will show. I'm pulling for the All Blacks.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Archived