Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there any reason to buy Vax 77 over Nord Stage EX 76?

jazzdoc52

Both have weighted hammer action keys, they weigh the same. Some say the piano is not that great on the Nord, but you could still use the nord as a controller for Mainstage or Receptor if you want to spend the money. The Nord has splits and layers, and has preloaded killer organ and EP . You can get really good used ones for less than 2500. The only thing about the Vax is that it folds, which is really really cool...but i just cant see enough reasons to spend the extra money for the that one feature. Anyone here think differently?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The classic Nord B3 is NOT killer. You'd have to put it through a Vent to make it sound just OK. The newer generation B3 emulation in the NS2, E3 is several steps up from the classic and EX NS B3.

As to why use the Nord over the Vax77 or vice versa, I have no idea!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

http://bestthing.info/bestthing.png

I don't know, size and shape look more or less the same,

family same as well...

:facepalm:

Why get a keyboard that only folds, when you can get one that splits?

:wink:

exactly, considering price of both I'd get nord with no hesitation..

And again, :facepalm:

Both have weighted hammer action keys

They are not both weighted hammer actions, though they are both generally considered to be well-suited for piano. The less piano-like VAX77 is the better of the two for organ, yet also, some people really like it for piano as well.

they weigh the same

Although the weight is very close, the VAX77 is more easily manageable than the Nord. (Ease of carrying, or of lifting on and off a stand, is about more than just weight, it's also dimensions, weight distribution, and the available ways it can be easily gripped.)

Advantages of VAX77 over Nord Stage EX as a MIDI controller:

- polyphonic aftertouch (vs. mono aftertouch)

- 4 zones with split points anywhere you want (vs. 3 zones with split points only available between B/C and E/F and with only 2 zones assignable to external MIDI devices)

- definable pitch bend (vs. bend locked to two semi-tones)

- A to C key layout, with easy instant octave shifting to get to the top octave when needed

- named presets on an LCD panel for easier patch selection

Both can be used to trigger any sounds over MIDI, but the VAX77 is optimized for a system where the sound source is a Receptor or a laptop (and especially one running Mainstage). OTOH, of course, the Nord has built in piano/organ/synth functionality (and in the case of the newer Stage 2, simple sample playback).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can you elaborate Sven?

Not sure what more there is to be said; the VAX77 is a MIDI Controller, that has no built-in sounds of its own. The Nord Stage EX is a stage keyboard, with numerous sound capabilities.

If you're comparing the capabilities of both purely in terms of their abilities to control Mainstage or a Receptor, then that's one discussion, but your post talks about the killer B3 and EPs in the Nord, meaning that you're no longer comparing equivalent instrument features.

If you want something strictly for piano, EP, and B3, if the sounds of the Nord are good enough for you, then Nord is more cost effective, and the biggest variable might be the feel of the action. OTOH, if, for example, you decide you prefer the PIanoteq piano, the Lounge Lizard EPs, and the VB3 organ and so you're ultimately going to buy the Receptor anyway, the VAX77 is more flexible and better suited for that, and if you were buying new, actually cheaper. (VAX77 = $3000, the 76-key Nord Stage 2 = $4,000) -- The only reason your Nord option is so much cheaper is that you're comparing the price of a used discontinued model Nord to a new current VAX, which stacks the deck right away.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have owned both, and now own the VAX and not the Nord, although I still own an Electro.

There is a lot to be said for the convenience of the all in one factor for the Stage. I personally never felt like the key to sound connection was there for me playing piano on it, but other folks really like it, so it all comes down to personal preference.

I feel that I can better evey sound on the Nord with either my Receptor or my laptop, and I LOVE the VAX keyboard itself. It is the most accurate and expressive digital keyboard I have ever played, and I am very comfortable playing both organ and piano with it. The fact that it folds is cool and all, but I would want it even if it didn't.

If you decide to opt for the Nord, I strongly suggest saving a little more and getting the newer model. The organ is much nicer, and the ability to load the sample libraries is a big plus.

Either of these keyboards will serve you well.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Picking up from a PM conversation that I thought might be beneficial to share here...

Yes. I recently picked up a VAX77 and have hardly used it... and in fact, I doubt I'll keep it, not because I don't like it, but because I don't think I have a good use for it. I'm a bit of a keyboard junkie and have far more than I need, but I don't use a Receptor or laptop. If I did, I'd be inclined to keep the VAX. But just for controlling other hardware, I don't think its functionality is really needed considering everything else I already have. The reason I even was tempted in the first place was simply all the talk about its action. And while it is very good, it did not blow me away so as to make me want to abandon the boards I have. But I'll get back to that...

I briefly owned a Nord Stage 2 -76, that's why I know that the VAX is easier to carry around. I sold the Nord primarily because I thought it was too heavy to deal with, but I don't feel that way about the VAX. The wheeled case with the handle extension in the small enclosure makes it easier to transport, and the ergonomics of the unit itself make it easier to lift on and off the stand.

One thing I like about the VAX is that it has a very high quality "aura" about every aspect of it... the feel of the keys, the design of the enclosure, etc. And if you wanted a single keyboard for playing both piano and organ, it's arguably the best available, it's certainly among the few that can even be seriously considered. I don't think it's the best piano action I've played (some people do feel that way), but any piano action I like better is an action that is unsuitable for organ. But as nice as that feature is, it's not important to me, since I'm fine gigging with two keyboards, and probably would want to regardless, for a variety of reasons.

I think my main disappointment with the action was that I didn't feel that the "playability" of the piano, in terms of velocity levels, mated so well with the hardware I plugged it into (I think I plugged it into a Nord, as a matter of fact). I do get the sense that it may be capable of more subtle dynamic gradations than any other board I've played... but the dynamics just didn't seem to mesh with what I expected to hear as I altered my playing velocity, it seemed a bit too hesitant to spit out the higher velocities. But that's the other part of dealing with Receptor/laptop based pianos, they are so customizable. So while I might not be sure about how the VAX might mate with any particular hardware piano sources (which are probably programmed to respond best to their own more traditional keyboard designs), I have a feeling that if I spent time with the VAX and a software piano and tweaked accordingly, I could probably get something more expressive out of the VAX than any hardware piano I have. Especially using a combination like the VAX77 and PIanoteq since, as I understand it, both are capable of more than the standard 127 gradations of velocity. But I'm just not inclined to put the time into it, or to travel with still more gear (i.e. replacing some other board with a VAX *and* a Receptor). But then again, my gigs don't call for the nth degree of piano expressivity, either. I imagine I might feel differently if I were a jazz soloist. (And as for playing at home, I have a grand, so I don't need something more expressive there either.) Again, though, I've hardly used it, so all my observations are somewhat preliminary.

One thing I'm not thrilled about with either the VAX or NS2 keyboard is that neither is great for thumbnail piano glissando. The Nord tends not to trigger at all on a light glissando, and the VAX keys have sharp edges that make it uncomfortable. (Though strangely and counter intuitively, it did not bother me with organ playing.) But that's a minor quibble.

If you decide to opt for the Nord, I strongly suggest saving a little more and getting the newer model. The organ is much nicer, and the ability to load the sample libraries is a big plus.

I agree that the NS2 organ and sample playback are big advantages over the EX. But also, I think the pianos are noticeably better as well, with the Long Release feature.

edit: though, for some reason, in terms of the action, I thought organ played better on the weighted EX board than it did on the weighted NS2 board. I don't know if the fact that the NS2 was brand new and the EX I played had been on a showroom floor for a long time with a lot of use might have been a factor. Regardless, I think the Nord weighted actions are better than most weighted actions for organ, but the VAX is better.

edit: though, for some reason, in terms of the action, I thought organ played better on the weighted EX board than it did on the weighted NS2 board. I don't know if the fact that the NS2 was brand new and the EX I played had been on a showroom floor for a long time with a lot of use might have been a factor. Regardless, I think the Nord weighted actions are better than most weighted actions for organ, but the VAX is better.

I recently played a NE73-HP and a NS-EX side by side. The Electro HP action is noticeably heavier than the Stage EX. I wonder if the NS2 has a new action, more similar to the new Electro HP.

Here for the gear.

http://bestthing.info/bestthing.png

I don't know, size and shape look more or less the same,

family same as well...

Actually, apples are in Rosacea family and oranges are in Rutacea family, so your claim is invalid. They are not even in the same order. Size and shape is similar, yes, but so is the size and shape of a snooker ball and you don't eat them, right?

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Reasons to buy VAX77:

1) You really like the feel of the keyboard, and need a very versatile keybed (piano/organ/synth).

2) You are a gigging musician who travels a great deal, and need to minimize your setup.

3) You wish to utilize polyphonic aftertouch.

4) You wish to use computer-based sound sources, though regular MIDI is OK also, and want as modern a setup as possible.

Reasons not to buy VAX77:

1) You wish to emulate a piano touch as closely as possible, including having 88 keys.

2) You need sounds incorporated into the keyboard.

3) Cost- $3000 is a lot for a controller (but not bad compared to $2700 for a Kurzweil MIDIBoard in 1988), and you are OK with much cheaper/lower quality keyboards.

The Electro HP action is noticeably heavier than the Stage EX. I wonder if the NS2 has a new action, more similar to the new Electro HP.

From what I understand, the NS2 has a Fatar TP/40, and is a slightly modified version of the same action they used in the Stage EX, while the E3HP uses an entirely different action, TP/100.

Archived