Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hand size

gryphon

Here is a link about hand size and hand span ratio. The ratio is determined by dividing your four finger span by total hand span. (You'll find the ratio link on the same page.)

The link is from a website that sells reduced size grand actions for people with smaller hands, but I found it interesting.

http://www.steinbuhler.com/html/handsizepage.html

http://www.steinbuhler.com/assets/images/HandSizePage_12.gif

http://www.steinbuhler.com/assets/images/Hand-Span-Web02.gif

I thought I had average hands. I can play a tenth fairly easily. But at 8.5" I am clearly on the small end for men.

Span:

8.5" (both)

Ratio:

.79 left

.75 right (probably because of a hand injury earlier in life)

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 10" span for both hands, ratio about .8. My pinky and thumb can basically go 180º flat. The thing is, I have short fingers and relatively big palms, so I can stretch almost a 12th from C, but some 10ths are difficult to play.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hmmm, I thought I had average hands. Numbers are:

19cm - 4 fingers

23cm - thumb to pinky

Ratio is 0,82

My thumb and pinky can also go virtually 180°,but 10ths are basically the only thing I can do easily. 11ths are a stretch (pun intended :) )

p.s. My hands still look pretty average to me, I guess it's more the stretch thing than the size thing for me.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

p.s. My hands still look pretty average to me, I guess it's more the stretch thing than the size thing for me.
My hands are pretty big, but like I said, my fingers are short. My longest finger is still shorter than the palm of my hand by about an inch, and my palms are basically square. My hands are more suited to serious manual labor than playing piano....

My hands are almost exactly average - 9", but my ratios are different I'm sure due to my hand injury a couple years ago. My right hand is .72, and my left (with the injury) is .65. I'm really surprised that my left hand Span is the same as the right, since the injury was a dislocated thumb at the wrist. But I worked pretty hard at getting my Span back, interesting that the ratio was affected since that part of my hand wasn't injured. Although for 6 weeks, I did have 2 pins tying my thumb bone to the bone in my hand that goes to the index finger knuckle, not to mention how long the whole thing was immobilized. Still, even though I still feel a little discomfort in that hand, I'm glad to see the damage wasn't worse in terms of my Span.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Just curious, but for those of you stating your hand sizes, please tell me you're not holding them up to the graphic in the first post... :facepalm:

I'm just sitting here picturing forumites everywhere slapping their hands on their screens and being amazed at the results... ;):rawk:

There's only one thing I'd try to measure using that scale.... :laugh:

Like kanker I have unusually flexible hands. My hand span is 10.5" and my four finger span is 7.75", both hands, which makes my ratio .738. I can reach 11ths with the pinky or my ring finger. Based on the charts it seems I have big hands but an average ratio. Now I have something else to bore people with at cocktail parties! :thu:
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Now I have something else to bore people with at cocktail parties! :thu:

"Did you know that with 0.738 finger ratio I can reach this much on my organ. Wanna see?" You'd be the star of the party.

When I think about it, a 10 inch span is definitelly an ice breaker. Literary :)

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I think there's another factor that's not covered by this system - just because you have that span flat palmed doesn't necessarily mean it'll correlate from person to person as to the span you can actually play (with your finger tips bent enough to not be mashing the keys). I met a gal who's ring fingers, or maybe it was pinky's, I don't recall, were freakishly short compared to the rest of her hands. She went to college on Organ scholarship (yes, that was an endless source of jokes) and one of her teachers was on her constantly about not being able to play certain things until he actually looked at her fingers and realized what she had to work with.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Huh, so if I'm understanding that chart correctly, if I measure a hand span of 8.75 with a slightly more than 0.8 ratio for each hand, this means my hand size (or at least flexibility) is above average for women? I'm so petite I'd find that rather surprising.

(And I'll ignore all the innuendos, but you guys have fun ... um ... amongst yourselves :rawk::D )

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Lets see, i've always considered to have big hands for mi size, im only 5'8, but i have a keyboard playing friend thats a little shorter than me and i swear that he has hands like a child, its freaky to see, but he makes it work, anyway:

Span: 9" (both)

Ratio:

.77 left

.80 right

i wonder whats the measurements for a pimp hand?

I've got a 10" span, with a .75 ratio. Like Kanker, I can go to near 180 on my span.

Yes, that does mean large......gloves. I have a difficult time finding some that fit.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I've got a 10" span, with a .75 ratio. Like Kanker, I can go to near 180 on my span.

Yes, that does mean large......gloves. I have a difficult time finding some that fit.

Years of playing bass (Upright especially) gives me a lot of flexibility, individual finger strength and span.

Left hand (my predominate hand):Looks like a 10 inch span (using a 8 1/5 by 11 sheet of paper as a guage.) Very close to 180 degrees as well.

Right hand: 10 inch span, prob 175 degrees.

IQ: estimate: 75 ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

i know a guy that teaches classical theory and piano at a College, and he has probably 7 " max. But more importantly, he only has half a thumb and almost no little finge ron both hands, in other words a stub for his pinky, but he is an incredible player.He was born this way, it is not from trauma or disease. He gets fantastic tone and volume, and can play anything. So it not the meat its the motion.

Archived