Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha iMX1 - iOS MIDI adapter

Jim Alfredson

I just got this today from Sweetwater so I can control some synth apps on my iPhone via MIDI. I didn't know Yamaha even made such a product until my salesman told me. I thought only Line6 had one.

Anyway, I want to report that it works like a charm! Plug 'n play in the truest sense of the phrase. I bought it to use with a certain plug-in I'm beta-testing that I can't talk about right now, but which is completely awesome!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got this today from Sweetwater so I can control some synth apps on my iPhone via MIDI. I didn't know Yamaha even made such a product until my salesman told me. I thought only Line6 had one.

Swwweeeeet! I didn't know about this either. I'd heard that the iConnectMidi device was the way to go - better than the Line6 stuff, anyways. The iConnectMidi is more full-featured - 2 ins/2 outs; USB (both host and slave) connectivity, midi merge/thru, etc. Disadvantages - the iConnectMidi is a big, clunky thing with need for external PSU. For most applications, I'm guessing the iMX1's form factor and ease of use wins hands down.

:snax:

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

It says it works with any CoreMIDI compliant apps... very cool. Previously, you could do this on an iPad with the Apple Camera Connection Kit and a USB-to-MIDI interface, but the CCK doesn't work on the iPhone or iPod Touch.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Great news. My big question: How's the latency? That was the issue that caused me to shelve both the Line6 and the Akai Synthstation. And which synth apps have you used it with?

I haven't tested it with the SynthStation yet. Will do that today. I used it with a pre-release version of some software I'm beta-testing that I can't talk about yet, but which is amazing. I didn't notice any latency.

There's another interface option on the way- the IRig MIDI. It has midi through as well as in and out. Zzounds shows it arriving the end of October.

Great news. My big question: How's the latency? That was the issue that caused me to shelve both the Line6 and the Akai Synthstation. And which synth apps have you used it with?

FKS, was that the new Line6 interface? I bought their first interface and experimented with NLog Pro ( a very cool 4osc, 2 filter, 3env. Synth ). The latency made me give up on the concept pretty quickly. I was disappointed to find that while I could upgrade my iPad to iOS 4.x and get Core MIDI, v1of the Line6 hardware won't support it. I'll probably go with one of the other brands for my next interface. Or maybe the ALESIS IODock.

FKS, was that the new Line6 interface?

It was the first one. I didn't know there was a newer one. I've since tried the camera adapter on the iPad and it works great with every app I've tried -- NLog, GarageBand, several others. But still, it would be nice to have a viable option for the iPhone, since I always have that with me.

There's another interface option on the way- the IRig MIDI. It has midi through as well as in and out. Zzounds shows it arriving the end of October.

And the Irig lets you charge the same time its plugged in and in use ..

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Microsoft showcases Windows 8 tablets starting tomorrow at the Developer Build Conference. Finally a full blown operating system on tablets.

Keynotes speeches start online tomorrow at Noon EST. Remains to be seen if the Samsung quad core Kal-el tablets wil be demoed. I think so as that is the homerun for Microsoft.

Nvidia's Kal-El ARM processor features four CPU cores and 12 GPU cores. Kal-el has five times the performance and lower power consumption than Tegra 2 tablets like Samsung's new Galaxy 10.1.

Apple's filed suit against Samsung now that they are on the cusp of releasing a superior product. Blocked in Germany for now.

Jim, does the iMX1 need to be charged? How long does it last?

:confused:

Are you confusing this with something else? The iMX1 is a pass-through adaptor that plugs into the base of the iPhone/iPad, there are no batteries.

As for how long it lasts, it's made of plastic, so I can only assume hundreds of years in a landfill... ;)

Thanks, Sven and Jim. That's what I thought too, when I saw Jim's post. Then I saw the iRigMidi's features - it's got "Micro USB port can charge the iOS device while in use" :confused: . The way they're touting it as a feature, not a bug, got me wondering whether the iMX1 needs to be charged or something! As far as I can tell, the USB on the iRigMidi is only for "charging" - not for midi-over-USB connectivity. Wierd... :freak:

EDIT: Ok, I think I get it now - the USB port is for charging the iPod/iPad/iPhone - the interface(iRigMidi) itself is passive! That really is a feature, and a nice one at that - with the iMX1, you have to make sure your Apple device is charged prior to the gig :eek:! iRigMidi seems to be the interface to beat, as of now...

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

• 4 weeks later...

And the Irig lets you charge the same time its plugged in and in use ..

In/out/thru and charges at the same time? Looks I know which one I'm getting!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there.

Has anyone compared the Yamaha/iRig/Line 6 units? Are they essentially the same thing with different bells and whistles?

The external charging may come in handy on the iRig, but I really want to use it to edit my Yamaha keys with an ipad.

Any suggestions or opinions would be welcomed

S

Archived