Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slides

Richard W

I'm curious if anyone has any good tips on both slide technique and use. This question is prompted by my learning the bass line to the Beatles' "Two of Us," which features two quick consecutive slides (from B to D and E to G) in the verse section.

I find I'm having a difficult time consistently nailing both the beginning and the ending of the slide, either not hitting it exactly at the beginning, or sliding either not far enough or too far at the end. It may be because the two slides follow one another so quickly.

Is it just a question of practice, which I'm happy to do, or are there any tips for making a better slide?

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you slide. look at the first fret of the slide and put your finger there then look at the last fret of the slide and slide to it. Don't try to watch your finger while sliding.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'm the slidy-est of slidy players. When I slide, I slide with gusto and moxie. And if I'm sliding from said B to D, I'll slide with the first finger on the string. Then when I get to the D I'll fret it with the third finger. So I'm not really sliding all the way; just most of the way. So I slide, then...BAM! I'm fretted: on time and on pitch.

That, and remove the frets and the roundwound strings. And butter. Lots of butter. Grease it up good.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

+1 to all the above, except maybe the butter, I recommend bacon grease.

Practice it at half speed to get the fretting, position, and changes down, then without looking, then build up speed.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Just as an FYI, there is no bass guitar part on "Two of us" from the Let it be album. George Harrison was playing what may have ammounted to a bass part in the lower register of a guitar, and with a slide. And if there's someone you'd ever want to cop a slide guitar lick from, he was certainly no slouch.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Just as an FYI, there is no bass guitar part on "Two of us" from the Let it be album. George Harrison was playing what may have ammounted to a bass part in the lower register of a guitar, and with a slide. And if there's someone you'd ever want to cop a slide guitar lick from, he was certainly no slouch.

True.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XikpAE26oVU

you can catch a glimpse of Yoko sitting at John's shoulder on this, too.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I like sliding. I've played bass on that song (way back) and don't remember what I did - will try when I can.

Two things I've noticed when sliding.

1) I have to be careful which finger I use to fret. I can't remember the song, but I remember that the notes previous to the slide naturally had me start the slide with my middle or pinky. This failed because I had to slide toward the head and the rest of my hand impeded my progress at the end. I had to think about it for a while until it became automatic in that song.

2) I'm often surprised that the speed of my hand movement is not always right. I've had to slow it, or alter the speed during the slide so that the notes "bloom" properly (yeah - that's more flowery than it needs to be). I also rush and go past my mark on short slides (the end of "Breaking Glass" by Nick Lowe got me there).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

That is a very cool track by a great band. I wish they were still around. Mark Sandman lived a tragic life but gave us some excellent music.

That's a two string bass.

Meanwhile, I was hired to play on a cd a few years ago and the very first note on the recording is a slide played by yours truly.

You can here it by clicking on track one after clicking on the link.

I didn't find out about the band Morphine until last year, I really like their sound, especially the unique bass. Were both strings tuned the same, essentially a doubled 1 string bass?

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived