Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Self-indulgent keyboard rig for a session tomorrow

Jim Alfredson

Maybe if that gear was used for a very good did or something.

Yeah, like maybe some remedial grammer for Mr. Young?

http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/download/file.php?avatar=4674_1263587685.gif

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, all that is cool ... But where is the theramin?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Making fusion wihtout diehard studio or pedal effects isn't easy

And yet, people do it all the time. I dunno, must be all those notes they play at the right time, in the right order.

Meanwhile, if I'm jealous of anything, it's Jim's hair. :D

Yeah, Jim is a good looking guy with great hair. I hate him.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

It took about an hour. For the live gig next weekend I'm going to go with a VERY stripped down rig. My Rhodes Stage through the moogerfooger phaser, distortion pedal, and wah-wah into a guitar amp, Moog Voyager through the EH Stereo Memory Man, and if I can get the right connector, a couple apps on my iPhone connected via MIDI to the Voyager. :)

EDIT: Oh, and the modular of course! :)

http://www.organissimo.org/pub/studio/004.jpg

http://aroundthewatercooler.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ric-Wakeman-Six-Wives-of-Henry-VIII-ii1.jpg

Do I detect a trend here?

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Nice setup! Can't wait to hear the results! How are you using the modular live?

I'm running it through the Eventide SPACE (and now the Eventide TimeFactor as well) mainly for weird sounds / atmospherics. Towards the end of one of the "songs" we did on Thursday, we had the Buchla and the dotcom battling each other. I got this really wild, gurgling, grunting, ripping, pig-like sound out of the modular that cycled through some weird shit. It was out! :)

The Rhodes through the moogerfooger phaser and with a touch of the Stereo MemoryMan was probably my favorite surprise, though. Sounded totally Zawinul-esque.

I don't think it sounded self-indulgent to me.

I like to try good or interesting recordings out on my self-built monitoring system, and must say the 32 bit mpeg of high bandwidth sounded great, lots of space, warm, etc. Maybe the definition could be worked on in the studio, and *of course* if you'd bring out the CD with that much drum reverb and such, that would be against the general rule "less is better", except of course for the dramatic effects such as on the sax in the second fragment..

THeo

I just rented my Stage 73 to a friend and before I did, I spent about an hour tweaking it (tuning, adjusting the tone bars in relation to the pickups, etc.) and realized (again) that as good as the emulations are, there's nothing like the real thing. I wasn't going to use the Rhodes at the studio originally, but once I played mine I decided it would be a great addition.

I'm anxious to get mine back tomorrow so I can tweak it a bit more and get it ready for the gig next weekend. It needs new hammer tips in a major way and new dampers. I'm also thinking about ordering the back-check kit from Vintage Vibe to fix the annoying bounce in the keys indicative of Rhodes' action.

Archived