Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Self-indulgent keyboard rig for a session tomorrow

Jim Alfredson

Tomorrow I'm doing a session at my friend's studio for a band he calls the Intergalactic Spiral. Our debut CD is finally at the pressing plant (it's been almost a year since we started taking pre-orders but it kept getting delayed due to artwork licensing issues) and we're doing a cool festival in northern Michigan next weekend.

The band is an all-improvised jazz/fusion group with a revolving door of members. The basic idea is to get the best players possible, put them in a studio, and press RECORD. So far I think there have been 5 sessions and I've been a part of 4 of those, so tomorrow will be session #6 (#5 for me). The first four sessions yielded over 6 hours of music.

On previous sessions, my rig usually consisted of the Hammond XK System through my Leslie 3300, my Moog Voyager, maybe the Motif ES Rack MIDI'd to the XK3, and the studio's Wurlitzer 206.

For tomorrow's session I decided to change it up a bit since the rhythm section will be two new players. No organ and with an emphasis on synthesis (specifically analog).

http://organissimo.org/pub/studio/gigrig.jpg

From left to right:

Alesis Andromeda

Laptop running Alchemy & Pianoteq via Cantible

Novation ReMOTE SL mkII controller (connected to laptop)

Moog Voyager

Yamaha MG16/6FX mixer

Synthesizers.com Modular

Eventide SPACE reverb pedal (in front of modular)

Electro Harmonix Stereo MemoryMan w/ Hazarai (next to SPACE)

The outputs of the Andromeda, laptop, Moog, and dotcom are running into the mixer. I'm using the two aux buses to send mono signals to the SPACE and MemoryMan, which are returned via the two stereo input channels 13/14 and 15/16 on the Yamaha.

It's a pretty small but very versatile setup. The Andromeda gives me lots of polyphonic analog goodness, Alchemy is the PAD machine of DOOM, the Moog is of course as cool as only a Moog can be (leads & basses), and the dotcom makes lots of weird sounds. And I can switch over to Pianoteq with the push of a button for Wurli and Rhodes sounds.

I played around with it tonight for about 90 minutes to make sure everything is ergonomic and working correctly and came up with half a dozen "sketch" ideas to bring to the proceedings tomorrow. :)

Should be a lot of fun!

Glenn Brown's Intergalactic Spiral on Big O Records:

http://www.big-o-records.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=3&products_id=27

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bastid. Amazing rig man.

Let me ask you a serious question: Do you ever find that having that much gear at your disposal limits your creativity? I know that sometimes for me I end up faring better when I hone in on just one or two axes.

Maybe you know all that gear so well that getting certain sounds is a really intuitive thing for you and you know what to use to get where you're going. I know for me I might be a little spooked.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

...Do you ever find that having that much gear at your disposal limits your creativity? I know that sometimes for me I end up faring better when I hone in on just one or two axes.

First, sweet-ass rig, dude. What, no Teletron? ;)

My own answer to the question is, no. I love being able to have all my boards on, midi'd together, and ready to record, particularly in a situation like Jim's. It encourages me to use space more effectively and choose my tools more carefully. A little of this here, a little of that there...listen to what's happening and choose the right board at the right moment. Maybe this comes from being raised on pipe organs with three or more manuals. I like options.

K.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

It's a fantastic rig. There's only one "dagerous point" IMO, when you have too many magical machines around your fingers: that you/we will overplay, and this could not work in a jam situation. So try to control your appetite (i know it's hard with all this goodness around!)

Send some MP3 when you guys finish

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

It's a fantastic rig. There's only one "dagerous point" IMO, when you have too many magical machines around your fingers: that you/we will overplay, and this could not work in a jam situation. So try to control your appetite (i know it's hard with all this goodness around!)

Send some MP3 when you guys finish

I doubt that will be a problem. Jim knows how to control himself. ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Along with all the hardware goodness, I am really glad you are using Cantabile. It is a great live host. What version did you go with?

Just the free version right now but it's so nice I'm going to spring for the full version just to support the developer.

Steve, I'll post about the gig in the Shameless Plugs forum soon.

Bobby, I'm at the point now where I definitely have enough synths to keep me busy for awhile. In fact, I really only have a couple of plug-ins because it's just too easy to buy hundreds of those (or download free ones) and be inundated with options. That's the main reason I haven't sprung for Komplete yet. It just seems overwhelming.

Alchemy is so versatile, I can't imagine running out of ideas with it any time soon. If something like Alchemy was in hardware form just 10 years ago, it would've been the baddest synth ever made.

Pianoteq is very utilitarian for getting ideas down quickly and it's so small (20mb) and sounds great it's kind of a no-brainer.

I have a copy of Korg's MonoPoly plug just because I was hired to make demos for a soundbank a few months ago. That's a surprisingly great sounding plug.

And I have Zebra, though I haven't used it much lately. Between that and Alchemy... what else do you need?

That said, I do have my eye on some of those Sonic Couture sample sets (mbira and the hand drum collection to be specific) which would require the free Kontakt player.

As for hardware, that's another whole can of worms. The Andromeda is incredibly deep and I've just barely begun to scratch the surface. I've owned my SY77 since 1990 and it still surprises me and two years ago I picked up it's big brother, the SY99, just because it was so cheap. And to add to my FM arsenal, I have a FS1r. I need to invest in a good editor for that... but that's another incredibly deep synth that would keep me busy for years.

I definitely feel like I've reached a point of stasis in my GAS. There's not much I really lust after any more, sans some neat little FX boxes (I just ordered an Eventide TimeFactor to go along with the SPACE). Besides expanding the modular with another 22-space cabinet, I think my gear purchases in terms of synthesis are done. The next things on my list are all live keyboards (SK1, SK2, etc.)

I may use the Fender Rhodes at the studio today. I'll snap a shot of the rig at the studio and post later. :)

Wow...that is an awesome rig, but as cool as it looks, I'm afraid to hear what you'll do with it. I would love to observe you in action on this stuff!!!!

I'm bummed you said "northern" Michigan, because if it's north of you, no way I'm going to be able to make that trek. And believe me, I would. But let me know anyway, I might get crazy!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Along with all the hardware goodness, I am really glad you are using Cantabile. It is a great live host. What version did you go with?

Just the free version right now but it's so nice I'm going to spring for the full version just to support the developer.

Once you use Sub-Sessions in the Performer version, you'll wonder how you ever lived with them!

Once you use Sub-Sessions in the Performer version, you'll wonder how you ever lived with them!

davinwv beat me to it... (but I'm sure he meant 'lived without them').

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Bobby, I'm at the point now where I definitely have enough synths to keep me busy for awhile. In fact, I really only have a couple of plug-ins because it's just too easy to buy hundreds of those (or download free ones) and be inundated with options. That's the main reason I haven't sprung for Komplete yet. It just seems overwhelming.

And Komplete is kind of what I was thinking of in terms of my own overwhelmed feeling when I stare at a blank DAW screen. Komplete is deeeeep, sometimes too deep.

Man, I am full on green faced with jealousy over this rig. AND a badass organ player. :sick:

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Holy awesomeness fun :love::thu: . As for me, my goal is to have a few more older synths like the Wavestation EX and Yammy EX-5 :D.

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

Holy awesomeness fun :love::thu: . As for me, my goal is to have a few more older synths like the Wavestation EX and Yammy EX-5 :D.

The EX5 is a great synth hampered by a buggy OS but even with that it's still worth it. The hardest part is finding the SCSI interface (needed) and the flash RAM (nice to have but almost impossible to source). But I love my EX5r. I have a Wavestation A/D, too. Great synth.

Here's the actual rig in the studio. I used the green spaceship Rhodes (real felt hammers!) running through my Moogerfooger phaser and it sounded really cool. I might have to add my Rhodes Seventy-Three to the live rig. It's nice to have a dedicated chordal instrument on hand at all times.

http://organissimo.org/pub/studio/gigrig2.jpg

And here is Glenn's rig (the studio owner / bandleader):

http://organissimo.org/pub/studio/gigrig3.jpg

Yes, that's a 1960s Buchla CM100 modular in the center. A small guitar rig to the right (Glenn plays guitar and keys) and a Moog Lil' Phatty on the left connected to Logic for some other sounds. Buchla is running through a Fulltone tape delay, too. :) It's crazy fun.

That's one uber funky Rhodes :love: . Was that one of those student models Fender made back then :idk ?

BTW. Have fun at your gig :rawk::thu:.

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

All that gear and hungry Kids all over the world.

too much suffering and all that we can think off

is gear.

Maybe if that gear was used for a very good did or something.

:blah::freak::facepalm::poke::cop::taz: :idk

If we want a better forum lets have respect for each member,do not support bullying and please report it.

Music please.

Making fusion wihtout diehard studio or pedal effects isn't easy

And yet, people do it all the time. I dunno, must be all those notes they play at the right time, in the right order.

Meanwhile, if I'm jealous of anything, it's Jim's hair. :D

I make software noises.

Archived