Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time For Pink Floyd live videos

Ian Benhamou

Hey gang,

Here's a couple iphone vids from our last tour of the Gaspesie. Looking for comments from you guys (good or bad) which is why I posted here instead of the shameless plugs.

Enjoy,

[video:youtube]

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing, Ian. Loved it!

You've got the chops for this great gig.

Talk about your gear. Hammond module through a Vent? Kurzweil piano? How about the synth sounds and fx from "Shine".... what did you use? It sounded right on to me. Would love to hear a better recording.

Oh, and your singers killed! And the sax......

You were just fishing for compliments, weren't you?

:thu: :thu: :thu:

Great job Ian! Love your sound...do share your gear.

Strongest assets: the ladies, and the band's background vocal work!

If there's a slight weak link, and if we're being brutally honest, I'd have to say it's the guitar; if only for the fact that (although close) he doesn't quite have the sound and feel of Gilmour. But then, not many guitarists do.

Thanks for the love guys.

Redkey, I wasn't fishing for compliments but I definetly wouldn't have posted anything that I didn't feel was really excellent, especially with the all great musicians who hang out here.

As for gear, my rig is fairly simple: Kurzweil PC3x underneath a Roland A-70, with a rack which has a Hammond XM-2 module running through a Ventilator, a V-Synth XT and Rolls line mixer. I use 2 QSC K12's for amplification in stereo. Everything is midi'd up so I could trigger any sound from any zone on any board for maximum flexibility.

As for what you hear,

Great gig is simple, PC3x for piano and XM-2 for B3.

Shine On, B3 is the XM-2, V-Synth handles the trumpet lead as well as the glass bells in the intro. The rest (intro pad, solina string machine and ice rain fx sound) are all sounds I programmed from the ground up in VAST on my PC3.

I've got a few more for you if you'd like:

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Great to watch :thu: Compliments for covering all those parts by yourself.

Last weekend in Holland we did the complete Pulse album,it was my first time covering Floyd, but luckily there where 2 of us to play those parts. It was a fairly big production with lasers ,video and quadrofonic sound efx.

My rig was: Hammond X5 + Leslie, a Nord Stage, Kurzweil Pc361 and a Akai Miniak. The other guy used a Korg Triton and a Yamaha CS6.

[video:youtube]YP5vLrz-r7I

[video:youtube]Po249BT6uVM

[video:youtube]LTG9tr2Yc_0

N-joy

Kurzweil Forte, Roland Integra, Korg Prologue 8, KeyB duo, Korg Radias

Wow, kybrdwhiz, great stage production!!! Wish I had a stage lik that every night!!

Yeah, covering all those parts with only 2 hands is a real challenge. For certain songs I cheat and have backing tracks (Learning to Fly and Comfortably Numb) though.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Yeah, covering all those parts with only 2 hands is a real challenge. For certain songs I cheat and have backing tracks (Learning to Fly and Comfortably Numb) though.

:mad::cop::deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I have resisted the temptation. There are only 5 of us (keys/vocal, guitar/bg vocal, drums, bassist, and a single female vocalist), so it means we take a slightly different more ROCK approach to how we do the Floyd thing; the only sounds not produced by us on stage with our instruments are the sound FX, but I prefer it that way. We bring a little piss and vinegar to the thing (as you might imagine).

However, this weekend, we tried an experiment at a festival, and I recruited one of the guitarists from the 80s band I play with to play acoustic guitars, and our own RedKey to join us on 2nd keyboards, and while we had an abbreviated 75 minute set, there were some things in there that had me grinning from ear to ear, and are going to make it difficult to live without. (But still no backing tracks allowed!) Hearing Red on Comfortably Numb grabbing the orchestral stuff: Exquisite!!!! That alone made my whole day. Hearing car crashes and tire screeching played in real time on Run Like Hell was awesome! And of course the synth stuff he did on Dogs was already a proven entity (he performed with us when we did a presentation of Animals on a Classic Album Thursday a few weeks back.

It was really excellent, especially having never performed with another keyboardist before.

Ian you guys do a great job. WizzI cant youtube at work, so itll be later tonite when I finally check your stuff, but the stills look fantastic.

I must admit, we havent done the full on light show presentations. The market here wont bear it, and I absolutely refuse to pay to play, especially for covers. Im curious how you guys manage to make that work. I would like to grow the band, and it seems like the necessary step, but the $$$ angle is an unmanageable obstacle Im afraid. So if you dont mind me asking, how do you afford to do it?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Fantastic. Great playing! Can I have your gig? My only suggestion is that when you play Astronomy Domine you should use that great repeat function that Rick Wright used on his Farfisa for that song. It's really a signature sound for that song. Should not be too hard to program.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

You might not believe this, but getting a musician to bark like a dog is a LOT cheaper than getting a guy to bring a dozen moving lights, and a video screen. And of course, this was the first time weve ever done this; its been a 4 piece for 5 years, and we only added the female vocalist a year ago.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yeah, it sure is a great gig, as the title implies it is a project,

so we do only 4 shows a year. Mostly own productions, with 1000 paying visitors we cover expenses. And because Holland is relatively

small we can only do a few shows a year. Luckily there are enough Floyd fans overhere so we can probably do 1 more show this year.

b.t.w. I wasn't using the repeat because we play the pulse versions....

Kurzweil Forte, Roland Integra, Korg Prologue 8, KeyB duo, Korg Radias

I must admit, we havent done the full on light show presentations. The market here wont bear it, and I absolutely refuse to pay to play, especially for covers. Im curious how you guys manage to make that work. I would like to grow the band, and it seems like the necessary step, but the $$$ angle is an unmanageable obstacle Im afraid. So if you dont mind me asking, how do you afford to do it?

I know you weren't asking me, but we have a great Pink Floyd tribute here in town called El Monstero. They've been doing it for years, and the production has grown year after year, but they don't do it year round - they are all members of some of the other top bands in town (I know most of them). They have traditionally done shows between Christmas and new years at a 5000 seat theater style venue. I think this last year they did 5 sold out shows with tickets around $20-$30 ea. They include not only the light show, but aerial artists, pole dancers, actors between sets as cops, etc. Last year they did 2 sets: the wall, and dark side of the moon.

It's been successful enough that this year they added an outdoor summer concert called "monster in the park". Production included a helicopter flyover and fireworks.

To answer your question - they limit it to fewer, but larger productions, and make it an event, and it's just continued to grow. Also, they get local radio station sponsorship, which helps with promotion, obviously.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I agree with Dan, fewer shows and make it an event. But that's not the whole story, at least no in our case.

For one, we don't have the big light production on every gig. It depends on the venue. Also, the lighting isn't ours. It's either permanently installed in the theatre/venue or it's paid for by the client with the sound equipment rentals.

Either way, we don't pay for light and sound, the person holding the event does. That could be either a club owner, a promoter, theater, or a producer. They pay us our salary which is fixed and they arrange for us to get food and hotel. They make money off the ticket sales which are usually being sold for $20-$35.

Another thing is, we don't usually play here in the city (Montreal). We tour in small towns and villages across the province. Places that rarely get to see touring professionals play in their towns, so when we show up once a year, the place sells out.

We'd like to start touring with our own lighting because it's such a huge part of the Pink Floyd experience. Playing the intro to Shine On with a bunch of bright coloured lights on stage is a real turn off and takes away from the mood were trying to re-create.

The videos I posted were done with a lighting guy who actually paid attention to our cue sheets we provided him with and knew Floyd's music really well. So it looks as though we've got an actual light design on stage, but the guy programmed that between soundcheck and showtime. We were all very impressed!!!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Our version of the groovy part of the song "Echoes"'

Good job!

Thanks man!

Glad you liked it.

It was VERY close that we had to cancel the gig.

The whole band except one of the guitarplayers and the backing vox IIRC caught a serious flu. Feeling like shit the night we performed,,,

The drummer was coughing blood in the morning and had 40 degrees Celcius fever when we played. His groove was better than ever :/

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Archived