Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The cure for GAS

johnchop

Go watch someone who can play. That'll do it.

I saw Phil Davis back Rachelle Ferrell last Friday night. Man, that whole band smoked like you wouldn't believe.

He had a Triton Pro, ES6 or 7 (can't recall exactly), and played lead lines primarily on an SY77.

I wanted for nothing more after that... just more practice time.

-John

I make software noises.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe because of my mental state, there are quite a few times seeing an exemplary player just makes me want to quit. I mean, seriously quit and sell everything. I've been pulled back from the brink a few times.

What motivates me to move forward is a good lesson - a great player showing me a little bit of a window into how to get better, and then some sort of practice method or concept to work on that leads to more practice time.

Maybe it's because I never learned as a kid how to really practice, so I'm playing catch up now. that's just me.

Different strokes is all I'm saying.

What motivates me to move forward is a good lesson - a great player showing me a little bit of a window into how to get better

+1

Unfortunately, there aren't many great keyboard players in this neck of the woods. Plenty of decent guitarists though.

:rolleyes:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Yeah, that experience shocks you back into realizing it's not a tools issue.

I'm not kidding myself: I know I'm nowhere near skilled enough to play at the level such a gig would require, but that doesn't mean I don't have things to say, musically, given what I can do. However, I don't need to play to eat, so I can play for my own satisfaction.

Sort of diverging from the thread here, but I, too, wasn't given much insight into how to practice from my early teachers. I got the somewhat standard lecture: "do" Hanon + scales, practice hands separately, practice slowly. It was ALL about "what" and "how" and none of the "why". That kind of "mechanical" instruction--necessary at some level, of course--wasn't particularly inspiring. Fortunately, there were resources like Keyboard magazine to put me touch with a broader understanding of this crazy obsession we all have.

-John

I make software noises.

Maybe because of my mental state, there are quite a few times seeing an exemplary player just makes me want to quit. I mean, seriously quit and sell everything. I've been pulled back from the brink a few times.

What motivates me to move forward is a good lesson - a great player showing me a little bit of a window into how to get better, and then some sort of practice method or concept to work on that leads to more practice time.

Maybe it's because I never learned as a kid how to really practice, so I'm playing catch up now. that's just me.

Different strokes is all I'm saying.

Ya - I often go back and forth between inspiration and frustration and just wanting to quit when I see a really talented player. But then again, there will always be somebody better than you out there. The key thing for me is improving on my skills over time and becoming a better player given my level of talent and available practice time. I do like when I learn new licks or techniques or ways of playing something. Then it also never hurts to have someone come up from the audience after a gig and say they enjoyed my playing. That is always appreciated and keeps me going in the right direction!

Methinks some of you could use some Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm still working on it! So is Mr. Werner. We all do.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm sure I have, but I'm also sure I first heard of it here from others. What's great is when I start beating myself up about something (like how I suck!) I'll do one of his mediations and come out of it.

"Be kind to yourself!"

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This book has been sitting on my shelf, unread, for years. I'm starting it tonight!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I saw ELP in an 1800 seat opera house on their first North American tour.

Made me want to quit!

But he had all those toys...

4 leslies. Giant Moog. Ribbon controller.

Many years later, I have 3 leslies, have built a giant modular synth, and still have my Moog ribbon controller (although the ribbon broke long ago).

Still can't hold Keith's jockstrap tho'.

Moe

---

This book has been sitting on my shelf, unread, for years. I'm starting it tonight!
Do it.

which is why sometimes I prefer my original project to cover bands. Because I often am trying to copy the playing style of several different world class pro keyboard players and I hear all the nuances of what they are playing and I just can't quite copy it. It's frustrating sometimes. But then I just have to relax and have fun and enjoy playing what I can.

True dat, marino and Tim. Hearing Art you-can't-imi-Tatum makes you want to practice really hard or quit playing entirely, usually both!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived