Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KRONOS: Trying to find one to check out...

allan_evett

This ties in with Dan D's recent post about having to drive from St. Louis to Chicago to play a Kronos, JP-80, etc.; also Mad Maestro's "Big Disappointment..." post. Other than major music cities, retailers seem to be limiting their floor stock to the mid/lower price gear that moves.

There aren't any Kronos' 'on the floor' here, so checking one out at a music store in CO basically requires a 'special order' situation. That's not something I want to do, nor place a mail order 'check it out w/ 30 day return/credit' option. Just interested in playing the instrument, getting impressions, etc..

So is there anyone within a reasonable driving distance of Loveland, CO (about 100 miles) that has a Kronos that they wouldn't mind me spending an hour or two with ? 61, 73, 88; doesn't matter. 73 would likely be my choice if things go that far, but I can get an idea from a 61 just fine (especially if I connect an '88' in as a controller). Thanks...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure the manufacturers would rather sell floor models to the distributors, but considering that doesn't seem to be happening, they'd be well served to do a "road show". Travel around to music stores around the country with a demo, give a presentation, and allow people to sign up in advance for time on the demo. Hell, charge for it. I'd pay $30/hr for a chance to spend time a lone in a room with the Kronos and a Korg representative who could answer questions.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Korg already did their roadshow for the Kronos; the problem at this point is lack of stock to keep up with demand.

Sure, some stores will decide not to stock the Kronos (and the Jupiter 80), likely because they don't have a history of selling big ticket keyboards. An understandable consequence to the folks that have been ordering online; you reap what you sow, and all that (with 'you' being used in the general form here).

:snax:

This ties in with Dan D's recent post about having to drive from St. Louis to Chicago to play a Kronos, JP-80, etc.; also Mad Maestro's "Big Disappointment..." post. Other than major music cities, retailers seem to be limiting their floor stock to the mid/lower price gear that moves.

There aren't any Kronos' 'on the floor' here, so checking one out at a music store in CO basically requires a 'special order' situation. That's not something I want to do, nor place a mail order 'check it out w/ 30 day return/credit' option. Just interested in playing the instrument, getting impressions, etc..

So is there anyone within a reasonable driving distance of Loveland, CO (about 100 miles) that has a Kronos that they wouldn't mind me spending an hour or two with ? 61, 73, 88; doesn't matter. 73 would likely be my choice if things go that far, but I can get an idea from a 61 just fine (especially if I connect an '88' in as a controller). Thanks...

here is my recent post at the Korg forum:

I received my K88 this morning.

As a prior owner of a XS7, Extreme 76, Triton 61, M3M , Rd700GX1, I have a fair perspective for comparison.

As far as folks that have been highly critical and vocal of build quality, I don't share your critique. If you own a Kronos, its possible you received a 1st run that wasn't as solid as mine. Or maybe you demo'd a board at Guitar Center which was a return and smacked around by 5 year old's.

Or maybe you are from mofotator :)

The fan is NOT noisy or loud. I hear it and its slightly above audible. my room is very live with wood floors, and minimal furniture. Fan noise not a distraction.

The RH3 is a nice surprise and I am a piano player. RH3 feels and responds great and I am used to the RD700GX1.

My RH3 is flawless, no spaces or gaps.

Navigating the small fonts/sub menus ( characters are somewhat crowded on some screens) will take some practice . I use the up/down arrow buttons in sub menus as an alternative.

I also have adjusted my stand lower so I have a better view of the Touchscreen.

The LCD resolution is bright and detailed. I don't know how it fares in direct sunlight.

I am ordering a pad controller to better use the Karma pads. a

pad controller is inexpensive & will sit nicely on my 88.

All the Kronos buttons and dials are solid. I think they are a step up in quality compared to the Extreme. The data wheel is Perfectly solid. There are no issues, whatsoever.

The sliders have a little play if you wiggle them sideways. But who does that ? The Kronos up/down sliders are perfectly ok. The XS motif sliders are a touch more solid in comparison.

The Kronos looks AWESOME. The chassis is extremely impressive, all components fit neatly and perfectly.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I'm sure the manufacturers would rather sell floor models to the distributors, but considering that doesn't seem to be happening, they'd be well served to do a "road show". Travel around to music stores around the country with a demo, give a presentation, and allow people to sign up in advance for time on the demo. Hell, charge for it. I'd pay $30/hr for a chance to spend time a lone in a room with the Kronos and a Korg representative who could answer questions.

thats a nice idea. I am certain Korg does not have the staff to adequately cover the country.

In the days of covered wagons, the store sales rep was supposed to understand the instrument. The store sales rep use to be compensated for his sales and product knowledge. It seems that is mostly a quaint notion.

[70's Songwriter]

Heck, Im in SW Florida, theres a Kronos sitting in a music shop, been there since it came out..doesnt appear to generate much interest..

Sounds like Florida

:)

[70's Songwriter]

I found one at GC and it was on the floor not in the keyboard room

Without a power cord or amp to hook up to. It was pretty, I asked

The clerk about it and he jokingly/smartassed said "I probably should not

Have taken it out of the box." No effort was made to. Disappointing

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Heck, Im in SW Florida, theres a Kronos sitting in a music shop, been there since it came out..doesnt appear to generate much interest..

Sounds like Florida

:)

Yea baby, beach day yesterday..

I hear you...:cool:

http://www.fugox.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/0b630_funny-pictures-day-at-the-beach-i-has-a-funny-534x639.jpg

There are two 61 key and one 88 key Kronos at the Guitar Center on 635 in Dallas......
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived