Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Big Disappointment At Guitar Center

Mad_Maestro

I just got back from going to Guitar Center to see if they had some of the newer gear like a Kronos, Jupiter 8, or the Mox 8. I don't think guitar center ever carries Nord cause its never there. I also wanted to check out the Venom, which they did have. The Kronos or Jupiter 8 weren't there but there was no more M3's so I think they are getting ready to stock one.

The Mox 8 was a disappointment. I actually like my S-80 better for key feel and build sound wise it was not significantly better just different pianos sound etc. I prefer the piano on the S-90 a hell of a lot more and that was released a decade ago. Maybe I'm crazy. The mod and pitch bend wheels also felt cheap compared to my S-80 from over a decade ago. Even Korgs M-50 had a better action than the Mox 8 and probably sounded better too if I recall correctly. Whats your guys thoughts on this?

The Venom sounded great but as warned in another thread M-Audio makes some cheap feeling stuff. The key feel was awful no wonder my SH-201 cost more even though it has less capability.

Maybe the Kronos and Jupiter will fair better when they have a demo in stock. Until then I was expecting to have a sonic Orgasm, but my ears are disappointed.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to our crappy local GC yesterday and lo and behold, beheld the mythical Kurweil PC3-X.

It was quite nice to play. I connected with it a bit, similar to Nord.

Other than the cheap crap, a Fantom with a broken key, and some Yamaha aircraft carriers, they didn't have anything else.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Well I did rip on the Mox 8 a lot. However I was also disappointed that Guitar Center didn't have the Kronos, the Jupiter 8 and doesn't carry Nord gear to look at. I'll have to make a trip to the only other big music store in the area Sam Ash, which usually has more keyboards on display.

The Mox 8 was a disappointment. I actually like my S-80 better for key feel and build sound wise it was not significantly better just different pianos sound etc. I prefer the piano on the S-90 a hell of a lot more and that was released a decade ago. .... Even Korgs M-50 had a better action than the Mox

The MOX8 does not follow the S80 and S90... for that, you'd look at the S90XS. Key feel and overall build would be expected to be better on those more expensive 50 pound boards. The MOX8 is a lower cost and much lighter build, and for piano, probably sound and feels as good or better then anything else in it's price and weight range, and that's what it should be compared to, rather than much heavier and/or pricier boards.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Once again gentlemen: Guitar Center has a "search" feature on it's website that tells you where the nearest store is that has the item you're looking for. Just input your zip code if you're looking a Jupiter 80:

Guitar Center

As for the key feel on the Venom: It's better than most keyboards in that price range. I could play it without problems. Action is all personal though...

Mad Maestro,

Which GC in Cincy did you go to? The Tri-County store has a 61 I've played on three different occasions. It was there less than two weeks ago so unless it's gone for some reason now, I'd give them a call. Also FYI the foot pedal did not function on any of my visits.

Visited a GC in Atlanta last week (N.Druid Hills off I-85) - they had a full display of Nords, the new Jupiter, the Mox8, Venom, Korg SV-1 73, plus all the standards. Good selection. I had to laugh though at the trade-in 20-year old Kurzweil K1200 marked "$597" on display.

Once again gentlemen: Guitar Center has a "search" feature on it's website that tells you where the nearest store is that has the item you're looking for. Just input your zip code if you're looking a Jupiter 80:

and around here the stock status shown online is correct about 30% of the time. Of course, after checking online I still use the phone to verify :)

The GC's around the DFW area all have different levels of keyboards on display for auditioning. A couple have the Kronos, others do not and for some reason won't. Same with Nord.

I have found that the stores seem to either carry Kronos or Nord, but not both. Not sure what is driving this.

As far as GC overall.... I am sad to say the store I have purchased my gear at for the last 10 years has a new general mgr and they now officially suck. All new people in the Pro Audio/Key department, and none of them know anything. In fact, one new sales dweeb flat out lied to my face about something, just as I was about to lay down about a grand on a piece of gear.

When he knew I caught him in the lie, he tried to backpedal. I just left the gear there, walked out, and ordered it online... got here three days later.

The worst is, we have no choice but GC or online. There are no other music stores around here that carry pro level gear.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I find it largely unnecessary to rely on GC to try out new model boards:

Korg Extreme- no try

XS Motif- did try

Korg M3M - no try

Rd700GX- no try

Korg Kronos- no try

all were purchased New, outside of the state. The XS is the only board I had to demo at a local GC since I had to determine if the Display and OS were adequate for me.

If one has experience with Korg and Rolands approach, model lineage, its not entirely necessary to rely on GC.

For example, the Kronos is a no-brainer. I do understand if a buyer wants to make 100% sure if RH3 is going to work out. The SV1 has RH3 so that gives one a fair idea.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Guitar Center

Oh, hey -- that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing that Bill, I didn't know!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I had to laugh though at the trade-in 20-year old Kurzweil K1200 marked "$597" on display.

It was there this past spring. Amazing that it hasn't moved. ;)

Well stocked but messy, and of course chock full of people playing random crap.

There outta be a mandatory headphone law.

-John

I make software noises.

I do understand if a buyer wants to make 100% sure if RH3 is going to work out. The SV1 has RH3 so that gives one a fair idea.

Yeah, neither of the 2 GC's in town have a Kronos, M3, or SV1.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well stocked but messy, and of course chock full of people playing random crap.

There outta be a mandatory headphone law.

-John

Or a new rule that the damned drum machines be moved to another side of the store so every kid left unsupervised isn't trying to play beats at level 11 out of 10.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

One interesting thing is that when I bought my S-80 it was $1600 or so 10 years ago that means for me to by the equivalent keyboard in todays standard I would have to spend $2400 for the S-90XS its current upto date replacement. I wonder how my insurance company that I have the board insured with for full replacement value would feel about that if I dropped it or something and had to replace it. I'm sure they know nothing about keyboard make and models. Would they spring the extra coin.

I auditioned for a band yesterday and mentioned to the guitar player I was interested in an Hammond SK2. He said GC had a used one for $1700. I asked if he was sure it was that instrument and he said yes. I found it a little hard to believe, today he said it was sold.

There's one just down the street. Sometimes little to nothing, other times the pro key room looks like a ransacked apartment, and theres this Associate walking around all wasted looking. Comes up and asks me if I need any thing I give him some tech talk and he's all confused looking and walks away. The place seemed to crash with the economy. I'd be better off goin to Robbs in Boulder.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I went to our crappy local GC yesterday and lo and behold, beheld the mythical Kurweil PC3-X.

It was quite nice to play. I connected with it a bit, similar to Nord.

Other than the cheap crap, a Fantom with a broken key, and some Yamaha aircraft carriers, they didn't have anything else.

Does the S90XS classify as an Aircraft Carrier? I have never owned an Aircraft carrier before.

Cool!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I auditioned for a band yesterday and mentioned to the guitar player I was interested in an Hammond SK2. He said GC had a used one for $1700. I asked if he was sure it was that instrument and he said yes. I found it a little hard to believe, today he said it was sold.

Most likely it was an XK2... although $1700 seems high for that board.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived