Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Memorable/favourite piano solos

Pale

What are your favourite piano solos in popular music (rock, pop, soul, fusion, funk etc.)? Jazz excluded since it would be worthy of a separate topic. Solos/piano parts that are memorable and have become recognizable part of the song (not necessarily your favourite) count too (i.e. Sweet Home Alabama piano outro).

I'm gonna start with Chuck Leavell's Southbound and Jessica solos.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll1_SmbUDSI

P.S. Youtube links are more than welcome!

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shock G's piano solo in Digital Underground's "Doowhutchalike"! and Bruce Hornsby's solo on "That's The Way It Is".
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Kenny Kirkland solo on Sting's Bring on the night live version, but that probably fall into the jazz category although it's a pop song.

Anyway, that solo really kick some arse! :)

I remember when I was young that I was thrilled by Elton John's solo on Bennie and the Jets, and that solo really add something to the sound and became as famous as the song itself..

PS

love Kenny Kirkland's play, music lost a lot when he dissapeared...

Kenny Kirkland solo on Sting's Bring on the night live version, but that probably fall into the jazz category although it's a pop song.

Anyway, that solo really kick some arse! :)

I remember when I was young that I was thrilled by Elton John's solo on Bennie and the Jets, and that solo really add something to the sound and became as famous as the song itself..

PS

love Kenny Kirkland's play, music lost a lot when he dissapeared...

+1

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I've edited this since I just noticed no jazz solos for this thread...

Light my fire solo - Ray M.

Soul sacrifice organ solo - Greg Rollie

Squibb cakes - Chester Thompson

Time of the season

She's not there

Piano solo by (saxophonist)Fred Lipsius on Smiling Phases

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I remember when I was young that I was thrilled by Elton John's solo on Bennie and the Jets...

:thu:x10 to this.

Arguably one of the biggest reasons I took up the piano in the first place, and opened my eyes to other great ones:

Chuck Leavell on "Jessica"

Hornsby - "The Way It Is"

Joe Jackson - "Cancer"

And I'll push the definition a bit by nominating a Rhodes solo - Ray Manzarek's break in "Riders On The Storm"

-Mike

+1 on Jessica. Others:

Paul Schaffer's piano solo on "Almost" off the first Blues Brothers album. It's very short, but says a lot.

Billy Joel on "Angry Young Man" and "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant"

Bob Mayo's Rhodes solo on the long version of "Do You Feel Like We Do". That was the solo that made me want to get a Rhodes.

+1 for Kenny Kirkland

Victor Feldman's Rhodes solo on Steely Dan's "Black Cow" has always been a favorite. Not flashy, not overplayed, just right. I could hear that same solo coming out Michael Brecker's tenor, Phil Woods' alto, or Chuck Findley's flugel. I've borrowed Feldman's licks more times than I should admit.

This one is a bit obscure and really not mind-blowing, but I wanted to call it out as it was the very first "rock piano solo" that I learned when I was in high school. This is Pulling Mussels from a Shell by Squeeze. Piano solo starts about 2:12.

Squeeze is a great band! I have seen them live and love all their music.

Fusion: Jan Hammer's solo on Snoopy's Search is a classic.

Thanks for this suggestion!

Check out the cats on this recording..

AMG: Drummer Billy Cobham was fresh from his success with the Mahavishnu Orchestra when he recorded his debut album, Spectrum, which is still his best. Most of the selections showcase Cobham in a quartet with keyboardist Jan Hammer, guitarist Tommy Bolin, and electric bassist Lee Sklar. Two other numbers include Joe Farrell on flute and soprano, and trumpeter Jimmy Owens with guitarist John Tropea, Hammer, bassist Ron Carter, and Ray Barretto on congas. The generally high-quality compositions (which include "Red Baron") make this fusion set a standout, a strong mixture of rock-ish rhythms and jazz improvising.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Can we not go Synth at all? Even if it's in a pop context? Because if we can, I'd nominate David Paich's solos on Africa, Rosanna and Waiting For Your Love.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

favorite solos on any keyboard instrument in any kind of music? That's a pretty broad category! But the first thing that popped into my head, free association-like, was Max MIddleton's playing on Jeff Beck Group, such as his solos in Ice Cream Cakes and Going Down (the whole song is sort of a solo). If I searched my memory for Nicky Hopkins solos, I'd probably find something I like even more.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I have always liked the late Billy Powell's (Skynyrd) solo on Call Me The Breeze.

Yep, that's a flashy one. I always liked his solo on I know a little. Short and sweet.

Have we forgotten the Booker T solo on Green Onions?

No, we have remembered that the topic is PIANO solos. It's hard to leave jazz out, because pop rock and soul seem to have lots more memorable synth and organ stuff than piano.

I nominate Tony Banks' intro to "Firth of Fifth".

Moe

---

favorite solos on any keyboard instrument in any kind of music? That's a pretty broad category!

Actually, my original idea was piano only solos in popular music (jazzy solos in pop music are also fine) , but it kinda got expanded to electric pianos (which is also fine). Maybe we should allow jazz as well. Organs and synths are bit of a strech since it's a point really where thing get too broad. We could get a separate thread for those though.

Many of the ones mentioned plus:

- Anytime Chuck Leavell got to shine on Eric Clapton's Unplugged.

- Bruce Hornsby, "King of the Hill."

Does Herbie's solo on Stevie Wonder's "As" count?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

As many folks around here know, I'm a sucker for nearly every solo Ralph Sharon has ever played w/Tony Bennett. I also really love the solo on Natalie Cole's version of "Our Love (is Here to Stay)" from the Unforgettable Album which I think is Clare Fisher (but I can't swear to it).

Of course, at the other end of the spectrum is John Jarvis's madman moment on Hank Jr.'s "Born to Boogie" :crazy:

As many folks around here know, I'm a sucker for nearly every solo Ralph Sharon has ever played w/Tony Bennett.

Oh God yes.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived