Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new Melodica is acting funny

CEB

I bought Melodica the low B works fine if I use it in a chord or in a legato phrase. If I play the B by itself it usually makes no sound, like something in the mechanism is stuck. It will work sometimes the softer I blow the better the chance. Is this a easy fix it yourself kind of thing?

Thanks

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know I just took it out of the Amazon box. It didn't even come withe a manual. It is a $40 Hohner special.

I found one. Nothing comes out when I use it. It is still dry but there is a buttom on the back I push it air blows straight thru and come out a hole at the end.

When you play a bunch of notes, your breath is divided among them. So in effect it's like blowing very softly on the low note. That's probably why it works in chords but only softly by itself.

I've never had that issue myself, but I have a different melodica.

Do you feel any mechanical resistance when operating the note compared to other notes?

Stuck notes are a common condition in melodicas. You may also be able to make higher notes stick by blowing hard enough. The better the reeds the less prone to sticking the melodica will be, My first Suzuki 37 stuck notes like crazy and my Hohner sometimes sticks on the low notes too. I ended up with a Suzuki Pro 37. The reeds are excellent and I've never been able to make them stick, no matter how hard I blow.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Thanks for all the input. You have given me some insight as to how this mean machine works. I played the out the last 2 gigs. In the right context it is pretty neat. The darn thing was even in tune.

Thanks again.

Archived