Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help please: XK system zones

Aidan

Hi guys, I'm sure there must be a way of doing it but I haven't worked it out yet. As many of you know, I recently acquired the lower manual attachment for my XK3 but as of yet I've not bought a pedalboard.

Therefore, I'd like to use the manual bass feature for just goofing around with in my studio. However, even with the "split" button lit, the bottom two octaves of the lower manual also sound the lower drawbar settings too.

I've looked in "Zones" but that only seems to have a global function for L and U points for both manuals and in actuality only appears to affect the top manual anyway, which is definitely not the effect I'm looking for.

Any ideas please?

Also, I'd really like to get that custom cable made for my Vent so I can use on-board controls (and more particularly, the switch on the EXP-100F) to switch Leslie speed. Any forumites in the UK have any suggestions as to where I might get this done this side of the pond?

TIA, as always, guys.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to split the lower manual and have an octave or so only pedals and the rest the lower manual, I think the only way to do that is to send the lower manual to a computer and have some MIDI mapper software split the keyboard range and rechannel the left portion to channel three and then send the signal to the XK-3c.

This is how I have mine set up though I have one portion play the lower manual and the rest another Hammond manual.

You might try this:

Change the LM and pedal channels to 4 and 5 (pg. 96 #'s 14 & 15). Set up LM external zones for the ranges you want and have the pedal zone on ch. 5 and the LM zone on ch. 4 (pg. 92 #'s 9 - 12). Connect the MIDI out to MIDI In 2 (LM connected to MIDI In 1). Make sure the MIDI Mode (pg. 96 #2) is set ti In1/In2.

I think that may work but I'm not sure. If I get a chance I'll try it on mine.

Good Luck.

I just noticed you have an XK-3. Since it doesn't have LM zones, option 2 above won't work. Option 1 should do what you want.

Thanks for that, JMcS, although it made my head hurt thinking about it. I think I might just finally splash out for the pedals instead though!!

Use the MIDI channel values for the studio. My XK-3C uses MIDI 1, 2, and 3, and I often use the lower manual for my rack synths via MIDI..

Hope this helps..

I apologize--this is not helpful. I was thinking you had a bass pedal board.

I guess next time I should RTF Post more carefully.. :wave:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Aargh so much to learn! It didn't dawn on me until a day or so ago that most jazz players are of course using the lower drawbar settings for LH walking bass lines, along with pedal accents. So now using 848000000 and getting the hang of that a bit more.

That said, the traditional organist in me wants to explore more tone colours in the lower manual while holding bass in the pedals, so this purchase is more or less a given - eventually.

I've also been discovering the XK3's "pipe" voicings and they're surprisingly sweet and interesting, on a chamber scale. I might investigate Hauptwerk at some point too, now I have more flexible controller options.

Archived