Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweet Home Chicago

Ross Brown

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have yet to play the same arrangement of the song twice. It's always shorter, longer, guitar battles, crowd participation etc. I don't like the song one bit but the peoplez do so it's all good, I guess!

Our rendition of the song

I can't imagine it's the same guy, but in the place you're playing, there's a Mike Zito poster. We have a Mike Zito locally who's friends with some of my band mates and tours, but I don't think he's been to Belgium, though I guess I could be wrong.

Mike Zito

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I like David Bromberg's version off of How Late'll Ya Play 'Til, unfortunately I couldn't find a good version on YouTube. IMO, it's a song that gets better the bigger the band you have.

Other than the chorus, I don't think there are any "official" lyrics.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Love that song in any incarnation. My personal favorite is Foghat's off of Stone Blue, probably because it was my introduction to the song as a teen. Same reason I like Aerosmith's Train Kept A Rolling.
Push the button Frank.

I can't imagine it's the same guy, but in the place you're playing, there's a Mike Zito poster. We have a Mike Zito locally who's friends with some of my band mates and tours, but I don't think he's been to Belgium, though I guess I could be wrong.

Not sure if it is the same Mike Zito. This one had following musicians with him the last time he was in Belgium (apparently he's played in this venue at least on one other occasion): Rob Lee (drums) and Christopher Alexander(bass and backing vocal). There's some YouTube material from his gig, too:

So, is he the same Mike Zito?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Love that song in any incarnation. My personal favorite is Foghat's off of Stone Blue, probably because it was my introduction to the song as a teen. Same reason I like Aerosmith's Train Kept A Rolling.

We will start here (Foghat)... It will be fun to see where we end up...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

This song really have become one of those standards where the original artist has been overshadowed by the the song. Kind of like "Kansas City".

I was lucky enough to go to the Crossroads Festival last year in Chicago. And the closing song? "Sweet home Chicago"! Robert Cray's band was backing everyone up, Buddy Guy sang lead, and it was an all-star jam featuring Eric Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Vaughn, Robert Cray, and many others. Buddy led an entire stadium in a singalong of the tune, and there is a lot of pride in Chicago for that song! The energy was just fantastic. The only downside? 22 guitar players onstage at the same time is a bit much.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

This song really have become one of those standards where the original artist has been overshadowed by the the song. Kind of like "Kansas City".

I was lucky enough to go to the Crossroads Festival last year in Chicago. And the closing song? "Sweet home Chicago"! Robert Cray's band was backing everyone up, Buddy Guy sang lead, and it was an all-star jam featuring Eric Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Vaughn, Robert Cray, and many others. Buddy led an entire stadium in a singalong of the tune, and there is a lot of pride in Chicago for that song! The energy was just fantastic. The only downside? 22 guitar players onstage at the same time is a bit much.

Probably good live.... I have the DVD.... it seemed lke a cluster f*ck on the DVD...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

American Folk Blues Festival (1972) was the version I had heard (pulled it from iTunes). I love the one you posted!

The Night Time is the Right Time was written by Roosevelt too, from what I can gather. Sexy song....

Played it tonight, and it really gets the audience going like no other song. Truth be told, it is my least favourite amongst the lot but hey it works! We always jam on it a bit and sometimes we end up getting lost a bit (like tonight) but hey, it works!

Played it tonight, and it really gets the audience going like no other song. Truth be told, it is my least favourite amongst the lot but hey it works! We always jam on it a bit and sometimes we end up getting lost a bit (like tonight) but hey, it works!
How, in the name of all that's holy, do you get lost in a 12-bar blues?

How, in the name of all that's holy, do you get lost in a 12-bar blues?

Talent, man. Sheer talent :grin:

No what I mean is: one of the guitarists is supposed to start it off, but our drummer got so enthusiastic he decided to start it off ... One of the few near-trainwreck moments :grin:

We take it down and get the audience to sing along (it's what the song calls for, no?) and then take it back up to full volume so the guitarists can trade solo's. Our singer has a tendency to then call a take-down again and get more crowd participation going. This works great but at some point you have to decide when to actually stop the song altogether :grin:

Click here if you care to listen. It's actually better than I remember it :) Save for the intro.

I can get lost playing anything... hahahahaha...!!!

Pretty good at recovery though....

Really though... if a song gets boring enough and the guitard is whackin off long enough without regard to the general chord changes (I know, I know... its a guitar solo... they don't care about no stinkin chord changes...) I have drifted away and wondered where we were... My fault, as the bass player? YES.... but it can happen.

Its kind of common for people who I play with to get lost. Keyboard player during Papa was a rolling stone for example. Now the bass part to that is 100% straightforward and repetitive. Over and over its the same. But when I have to alter to accomodate the keyboard player phrasing on the wrong beat? Or singers who cue changes mid-phrase? Stuff like that. Oh yeah and I might have made a mistake once too!

we've ended our gigs with 'sweet home' for what seems to be an eternity, so I'm a happy guy if I never hear it again.

damned if the crowd doesn't always love it!. I actually play trumpet (me and the organ player switch back and forth on bass) on that tune so we usually play it so over the top that it's still mostly fun, however

if you're vertical, have a pulse, and still playing music, it's all good!

kfh

Archived